It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus Was Gay, "Or At The Very Least" Queer, Professor Says.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
attitude.co.uk...

His personal life has been the subject of speculation for centuries, and now a leading theologian is claiming that that Jesus was gay, “or at the very least” queer.

Dr. Reverend Bob Shore-Goss, an openly gay senior pastor, who has a doctorate degree in Comparative Religion from Harvard, told Vice that Christ “subverted masculinities and gender codes” during the time that he lived, when there was not a modern understanding of sexuality.

Oh yeah, it's happened...

A Theologian Professor has voraciously made a claim that is sure to send the far right, far left, and pretty much anyone between, below or above into the debate of the month...

But I digress...

“At the very least, Jesus was queer", the Queering Christ author said. “That is to say: He broke the rules of his culture, of heteronormativity. He subverted masculinities and gender codes in his culture. Queer doesn’t necessarily mean sexual orientation, but it can include that.

He even had time to gayify (play on deify, lulz) Saint Paul in this equation...

“St. Paul, I would say, would probably be described as a closeted homosexual today, but they didn’t have those words at the time.”

How does he go about trying to validate his theory...

Explaining that passages of the Bible could be used to support his theory, Dr Shore-Goss added: There’s hints of it, and then there’s readings into it. The hints come from John’s Gospel with the “beloved disciple.” He and Jesus have an intimate relationship, although there are questions as to who the disciple actually is.

“Anyhow, the beloved disciple is lying on the chest of Jesus at the last supper and is supposedly in his “inner tunic,” which is what we would call underwear today. It’s a very intimate gesture, and it’s a special gesture of affection between the two.”

Well I'll be damned (pun intended)...

I was looking more for a conspiracy to make a thread about...
& came across (pun intended) this little gem...

I thought it would be right up ATS' alley (pun intended)...

Please be civil (pun intended).
edit on 7/13/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Oh Jebus.

I love when somebody tries to tell me they know what a person from thousands of years ago thought, wanted or what kind of actions they may or may not have taken.

Especially people's whose only historical recording was created decades after they died.

Sure. You bet.

Could he have been?

Sure.

Could he not have been?

Sure.

Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things?

Nope.

ETA: Besides all of that, the inherent bias in this research is very apparent. You'll find anything you want in scripture if you already know what outcome you wish to have.

~Tenth
edit on 7/13/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

+24 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Jesus is the Son of God. He sacrificed Himself for everyones sins.

So he represented everyone.

Even teh gayz.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

Oh Jebus.

I love when somebody tries to tell me they know what a person from thousands of years ago thought, wanted or what kind of actions they may or may not have taken.

Especially people's whose only historical recording was created decades after they died.

Sure. You bet.

Could he have been?

Sure.

Could he not have been?

Sure.

Nope.

ETA: Besides all of that, the inherent bias in this research is very apparent. You'll find anything you want in scripture if you already know what outcome you wish to have.

~Tenth

Kind of like Archeologist's finding a thimble full of material.

Out of that thimble they extrapolate an entire Civilization.

It was only a matter of time before they come after Jesus.

I guess that time is know...

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

If they had any such physical evidence, I might be more inclined to believe it.

But all they have is conjecture based on an interpretation of scripture. Which changes wildly based on who reads and then interprets it.

In this case, a gay pastor finding out that Jesus may have been gay?

Sounds like self fulfilling prophecy to me.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Meh. He isn't the first, nor the last, to play the Jesus was gay card...

Inspired by Terrence McNally's play about a young gay Jesus, the film follows a group of professional actors who began production of the play in a small church and suddenly found themselves thrust in the world spotlight, touring over eight years to international acclaim. We follow the troupe and the playwright, sharing their stories with supporters and protesters as they continue their tour across the country to communities where hate and bigotry are much more prevalent. Mirroring the reflections of change in society today in regards to gay equal rights, gay marriage, and gay faith, this production has become a vehicle for a community struggling to find its voice. And the company of actors found themselves on a journey that would forever change their lives.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Tenth;
Mirrored my opinion on this exactly...

Beezzer;
Spot on...

WhyAmIHere;
That's a great analogy...

I have the slightest feeling, that this guy is trolling with this...
But then again, given the name of the book he authored, he probably does believe his own schtick.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Believe it or not, I've seen this sentiment voiced before. Like it said, it doesn't necessarily mean that he was gay, but he certainly did MANY things that were out of the norm. I don't know if its true or not, but I don't see any reason to disbelieve it either. Just like anything else theorized about regarding Jesus.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

I had a feeling there would be others around the world.

Something about that play comes across as tongue in cheek though...
Puns love this topic.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

Oh Jebus.

Sure. You bet.

Could he have been?

Sure.

Could he not have been?

Sure.

Nope.

~Tenth

Kind of like Archeologist's finding a thimble full of material.

Out of that thimble they extrapolate an entire Civilization.

It was only a matter of time before they come after Jesus.

I guess that time is know...

This is a GROSS over-exaggeration and GRAVE insult to how historians actually construct the past.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Let's see, an inverted narcissist who is one foot in the closet, the other not.

How does that not fit here?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: Klassified

I had a feeling there would be others around the world.

Something about that play comes across as tongue in cheek though...
Puns love this topic.

It does feel that way, but my understanding is, the writer of the play IS gay.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
If the gay Theology Professor from Harvard wants to believe Jesus was gay, so what?
Aren't each of us entitled to see our savior as we wish?

If I want to picture Jesus as a small Asian woman in spandex and a tiara...what does it matter?...as long as I have faith and believe that Jesus came to earth with a message of love for all mankind and died for our sins.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I thought you'd be more inclined to ask for proof that gay Jesus even existed...

From what we know, Jesus was definitely an advocate of "against the grain philosophy".

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Not to play into an 'anger the Christians' thread (I don't see this as the meaning of the thread) but for those who adamantly claim Christ was never married, need to take a good look at the alternative. It's entirely possible he was homo sexual. one doesn't need to act on his desires to have those desires. And if he never married, it's possible he wasn't interested in women 'sexually'.

Being gay isn't a disease or a choice, it's how a person IS.

He did teach a message of unconditional love, and went out of his way to show a love for his detractors and enemies. So while I doubt that anyone will find historical proof, the history does leave a bit of room for a 'what if' type scenario.

And if he was gay, I am OK with my masculinity to say I still Love him. (just in a more thanks for saving my soul kind of way instead of the other)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Well he did just hang around with guys all the time, he wore robes and had long hair, maybe he was if you believe the stories.

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Homosexuality is a sin, according to God. And Jesus "sinned not." SO, there you go.
edit on 13-7-2015 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Interesting that we are savagely murdered for even attempting to draw a picture of what we think Mohammad looked like.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I'm pretty certain the good "Dr. Reverend Bob Shore-Goss, an openly gay senior pastor, who has a doctorate degree in Comparative Religion from Harvard"....would earn himself a one-way trip to a flaming cage for daring to even hint the same thing about the Prophet Mohammad.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join