It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Let’s make the Confederate flag a hate crime" - College prof calls to criminalize display

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
The American people, as well as the members of ATS can choose whether to become hysterical over this. Is the flag representative of something vile? Yes. Do they have the right to fly it? Of course. Is the flag itself threatening and vile? It's a few yards of fabric.
What's next -- forming vigilante groups to force the point? Jail them? Then who becomes worse?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
wetwackted
edit on 13-7-2015 by network dude because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: beezzer

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I mean, really folks. This is how the progressive mind works.

And this is how your mind works... ONE person expresses their opinion and you smear the entire "progressive" populace with that opinion...

Lame...

You didn't see this coming?

Really?

Am I the only person not surprised by this?

This is just the tip of the iceberg, in my humble opinion.

It's just good to have all these posts here for posterity. While it's obvious NOBODY is trying to take away the flag,
It was removed from the SC court house. And I was under the impression that was the goal of all this.

Mission accomplished! Fantastic job everyone. Well done. Now, please move on.

Its banned in California, thank god! I look foward to the day its banned across the country.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

An interesting perspective from a black woman.

It's amazing that those who you think would be having the biggest problem with this flag are actually defending it.

God I love this country...most of the time.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

Just go ahead then. Disregard the good advice of everyone else in this thread, and continue your ignorant rant.

But do so in the knowledge that you have been shown your error, and to compound it is a choice you make, not in ignorance as before, but wilfully.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Its banned in California, thank god! I look foward to the day its banned across the country.

Only for state agencies to sell it or show it with state property...not totally.

SACRAMENTO -- Gov. Jerry Brown has signed legislation prohibiting California state government agencies from selling or display items displaying the Confederate flag.

www.mercurynews.com...

Guarantee it will never happen in Ga.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

You didn't see this coming?

Did I say that? No. But I did point out your generalizing all "progressives" as thinking as this ONE man does. So, of course, you tried to change the subject. Again, that's lame, beez.

In fact I DID see this coming. There are always the extremists who take things too far. There WILL be gay couples suing churches to marry. There WILL be people trying to outlaw anything having to do with racism. This professor is ONE person. Of course, there's going to be at least one person who's selfish and ignorant enough to try to get HIS opinions enforced by law.

(Religious people do it ALL THE TIME - take abortion, for example... That's not to say that all religious people think with one mind, but MANY more than one are constantly trying to impose their opinions on other people through law.)

This is just the tip of the iceberg

Even if this is just a harbinger of things to come, PROGRESSIVES like myself and others in this thread, will stand up FOR the Constitution, FOR individual freedom and AGAINST making the flag illegal.
edit on 7/13/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Bah. The forum ate my post which I thought I copied in order to properly reply. Oh well, here goes again!

You need to take a breath and read what you've put forth onto this thread. It is obvious that you have a heavy emotional investment in the idea that symbols purvey ideas by themselves.

A symbol is simply a certain arrangement of geometry and color. Any sort of idea that brought it into existence exists outside of the symbol itself. The symbol exists only to itself. The reasons and thought which a symbol is used to represent can vary and often contradict one another. Since time and memorial, iconoclasts have destroyed symbols in an vain attempt to destroy that which they represent.

My northern European ancestors would have viewed the christian cross as a symbol of hatred and cultural genocide. To them, it represented an enemy to their beliefs and way of life right up to about the 13th century. After the mass conversion, iconoclasts - many of them the children of the same ancestors - went about systematically destroying pagan temples and shrines in an attempt to expunge the culture and thought which prevailed over a large swath of Europe for centuries. Luckily, they failed, because iconoclasm does not remove the thoughts and beliefs that the symbols represent. If it was not for Iceland's general remoteness and isolation, we would not have any surviving literature of that period and the people who created it.

My first post was a lot better. Damn the interweb Gods. Damn them!

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Just go ahead then. Disregard the good advice of everyone else in this thread, and continue your ignorant rant.

But do so in the knowledge that you have been shown your error, and to compound it is a choice you make, not in ignorance as before, but wilfully.

Racism is ignorant and those who support racism are ignorant. To wave around racist and hatefull symbolism and claim it isnt racist is rather ignorant. The people doing it know full well its racist yet persist in doing it its a choice they make out of ignorance, willfull ignorance that they are purposfully offending other people. Basically its a flag promoting slavery, to call it anything else is to be in denial of the truth.

I can find some black people in KKK robes that doesnt change what the KKK stands for one bit, racism period.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I just pray idiots like this professor don't make me defend racists. Ever feel like your in a bar trying to stop a 10 way brawl? LOL

link   
a reply to: OrdoAdChao

My first post was a lot better. Damn the interweb Gods. Damn them!

Just blame it on the confederate flag.

Everything else has been.

link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h

Only for state agencies to sell it or show it with state property...not totally.

SACRAMENTO -- Gov. Jerry Brown has signed legislation prohibiting California state government agencies from selling or display items displaying the Confederate flag.

www.mercurynews.com...

Guarantee it will never happen in Ga.

Never say never!

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Even if this is just a harbinger of things to come, PROGRESSIVES like myself and others in this thread, will stand up FOR the Constitution, FOR individual freedom and AGAINST making the flag illegal.

One can only hope.

But really, if it comes to that point, then it'll already be too late. It's not like you can change legislation with any angry post and several emoticons.

In my opinion, the inmates are running the asylum and the crazy-train has definitely left the station.

The next thing we'll see is legislation from our so-called "representatives" who (you'd think) would have some sort of working knowlege of the Bill of Rights.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

I can find some black people in KKK robes that doesnt change what the KKK stands for one bit, racism period.

No you won't.

But feel free to do so and show us...please.
edit on 13-7-2015 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h

No you won't.

But feel free to do so and show us...please.

Just google it there are plenty of ignorant people out there. . . . There are African Americans in the KKK which suprises me.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

Racism is ignorant and those who support racism are ignorant. To wave around racist and hatefull symbolism and claim it isnt racist is rather ignorant.

Hmmm... By that logic, are you a racist? I only ask because your ignorance has been on full display in every post you have made in this thread, and you keep making it worse...

The people doing it know full well its racist yet persist in doing it its a choice they make out of ignorance, willfull ignorance that they are purposfully offending other people. Basically its a flag promoting slavery, to call it anything else is to be in denial of the truth.

Never mind then, carry on!

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I'm going to make this very simple.
The vast majority of those who fought under the Confederate flag weren't doing it to preserve slavery.
They were doing it because there was a Union army invading their state.
My ancestors fought for the Confederacy but didn't own slaves.
You can't tell them what that flag meant but it looks like some will try anyway.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
Its banned in California, thank god!

California STATE SALES of the Confederate flag were banned in 2014. Retailers can still sell the flag and individuals can still display the flag.

Look it up...

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Just google it there are plenty of ignorant people out there. . . . There are African Americans in the KKK which suprises me.

Do you understand exactly what the KKK is and who they don't have in their ranks?

Why is the KKK the epitomy of racism toward blacks if they allow them to join?

Clueless...seriously clueless.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Look it up...

Good luck with that.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join