It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Let’s make the Confederate flag a hate crime" - College prof calls to criminalize display

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I'm all for removing it from government buildings, much like the ten commandments, I think our government has an obligation to represent all citizens equally.

On other hand I value individual freedoms. I know people in this world are racist and use that flag as a symbol, but completely eradicating it is childish. Pulling video games about the civil war for having the flag, painting over the Duke's of Hazard car, college professors being unable to handle it, it's embarrassing.

You won't catch me dead with a confederate flag, I'd love to see people stop flying it, but I'll only see it vanish because the arguments against it where so indefensible, that people naturally stopped identifying with it. I don't want the flags banned, I want to see stores with massive unsold piles of flags during clearance sales. I always worry when anti-intellectualism goes on banning sprees.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
With our current climate of political correctness, I wonder how much it would embolden people to remove other offensive items. How much of a slippery slope will this flag represent if we took that path?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

I am curious, do you believe the actions of the top 1% reflect on everyone that fought for the South?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h

The confederate flag was all about slavery and racism you need to read up on what it was made for.

I think you really need to take your own advice...because you are simply clueless.

Do you live in a state that has pride in that flag and what it stands for?

Because I do and have many conversations and discussions with those who know more about the flag than you ever will, but feel free to educate me on something you have no clue about.

I will educate you on god which lives in your fellow man, and I will say that to promote hatred and racism against your fellow man is to only hate yourself. Because god/the divine lives equally in all, we as human beings need to stop divisive hatred and embrace universal brotherhood not racism and segregation and slavery. A war was already fought over this very topic and with good reason. If it comes down to it and people refuse to give up thier racist symbolism they will be forced to, I think it could very well escalate into a second civil war. Question is will it ever get that far, I certainly hope not. I think the flag needs to just be banned, and hate groups should not be allowed to promote hatred of thier fellow citizens. Those that are spreading hate need to go or stop promoting hate.

I can tell you one thing thats the hatred is going to be resisted not embraced because humanity has a greater and higher destiny than the path of racism.
edit on 13-7-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Hate speech is not illegal, nor should it be.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

If all you have is rhetoric, then you have more in common with those who wave the flag with ill intent, than you do with anyone else.

link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
No I am seeking to restrict hate speech because hate speech is illegal.

Hate speech is not illegal in the US. Hate CRIME is. There ARE exceptions to the First Amendment, but "hate speech" isn't one of them.

Know Your Constitution

What does the First Amendment, through interpretations by the Supreme Court, have to say about hate speech? The short answer is that the First Amendment prohibits government from regulating such speech altogether. This is a very different approach from that of countries in Western Europe that often prohibit such speech, including denials of the Holocaust.
The Supreme Court’s answer to this particular question is that even hate speech contains political ideas, however horrible these ideas may be. When you regulate such speech, you are also regulating ideas.
The Supreme Court has also made clear that just because speech offends people, this is never a justification under the First Amendment for punishing it. Furthermore, we are justifiably suspicious of government when it attempts to regulate speech and ideas. After all, government may have its own political agenda in regulating hate speech—which groups would be protected against hate speech and which not?

link   
a reply to: mahatche

Very well said.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

It actually is look it up.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

See my previous post. You are incorrect.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

It actually isn't. YOU look it up. You are the one making the claim that it is illegal. Produce the legal statute/SCOTUS ruling/law/Amendment that supposedly makes it illegal. Don't pass the onus of the burden of proof off onto someone else. Vet your own claims.
edit on 13-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

No it's not. See BH's post above. And at the risk of mothering you I have to say, that you really need to learn how to temper your passion with education and reason.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

I find it absolutely ridiculous that of all the people in this thread, the one who has been telling people to look things up, to educate themselves, to re-evaluate their position, is the one who is the least well informed, the least well educated, the least aware of all the participants.

Please, stop, just stop with this arrogant, and ill informed grand standing. The vast bulk of the points you have made have been in error, both on the legal status of certain kinds of speech, and in nearly all of the particulars of the flag you are so offended by. Simply put, and with the greatest possible respect, you do not know what you are talking about, and need to seriously consider educating yourself on the world around you a little better, before you start mouthing off about a lack of education in others.

ETA: And before I get any nonsense from you about how my opinion is not important because I am British... Yes, I am British, and I have no dog in this fight. But it should terrify and disgust you that I know more about your nations history and law than you do. I hope it does, and I hope you act to change it.

edit on 13-7-2015 by TrueBrit because: Added clarification

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   

I will educate you on god which lives in your fellow man, and I will say that to promote hatred and racism against your fellow man is to only hate yourself.

Ah yes now your going to educate me on God...well just so you know I already have that education as my grandfather was a preacher and I have a grandmother who is really into the bible, so your education is not needed.

But thanks anyways.

I can tell you one thing thats the hatred is going to be resisted not embraced because humanity has a greater and higher destiny than the path of racism.

I have a feeling you really don't have a clue as to what your talking about.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Deleted
edit on 13-7-2015 by OrdoAdChao because: meant as a reply to a person, not the thread

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Did you just disregard the videos that I posted with the ex president of the NAACP carrying the confederate flag in a confederate uniform?

If this was a flag that was just used for racism I guarantee the ex president of the NAACP wouldn't have been waving it around as he did, but I guess he must be a racist also?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: beezzer
I mean, really folks. This is how the progressive mind works.

And this is how your mind works... ONE person expresses their opinion and you smear the entire "progressive" populace with that opinion...

Lame...

You didn't see this coming?

Really?

Am I the only person not surprised by this?

This is just the tip of the iceberg, in my humble opinion.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I mean, really folks. This is how the progressive mind works.

And this is how your mind works... ONE person expresses their opinion and you smear the entire "progressive" populace with that opinion...

Lame...

You didn't see this coming?

Really?

Am I the only person not surprised by this?

This is just the tip of the iceberg, in my humble opinion.

It's just good to have all these posts here for posterity. While it's obvious NOBODY is trying to take away the flag,
It was removed from the SC court house. And I was under the impression that was the goal of all this.

Mission accomplished! Fantastic job everyone. Well done. Now, please move on.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Believe hate speech is legal if you all want to, but no its not. Your not free to yell fire in a crouded theatre nor is it legal to segregate based on race or incite people with hateful words. There is a limit to what free speech allows, but if anyone thretens anyone else with hate speech like genocide, death or violence, or the like then it is illegal. You cant say your gonna kill kids no your not free to say that kind of hatefull BS thank god.
edit on 13-7-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Here is the response to a fool who wants to restrict AMERICAN freedoms.

An interesting perspective from a black woman.

EDIT: Could do without that north and south scene but whatever
edit on 13-7-2015 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join