It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Let’s make the Confederate flag a hate crime" - College prof calls to criminalize display

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
a reply to: Ancient Champion

We need to make labeling a hate crime, lest I be accused of being a liberal conservative donkey assed tree hugging war pig who caught the gay yet is still a catholic muslim lover who resides on the banks of deliverance racist bigoted moran sheeple.

Let me know if I missed anything, I'd hate to be accused of being discriminatory too.

I noticed that you got defensive when I was talking about liberals but yet you don't seem fazed by all the hate towards the flag.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I wonder if this professor would be willing to come to the south and debate that with some good old boys from Ga.?

You see we here have pride in the confederate flag so much we used it in our state flag until just recently when we changed it to the confederate battle flag.

Old state flag...

New state flag...

I guess either way the state of GA is full of nothing but those who have pride in hate crimes, as they are proud of the flag they fly over the capitol.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
There's this thing called the 1st Amendment.

But let's not let that pasky technicality get in the way.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

The navy version of the flag was the same as the square you allude to, save for the fact that it was rectangular, and a little larger therefore than its land army counterpart. This was again, not a new design, not a new graphic, or choice of colours, but the same as confederate battle flags from yesteryear. They were not made, designed, or reimagined for or by the Dixiecrats.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

It's ONE guy, exercising his right to try to change things. It will never go anywhere (and shouldn't) because of the First Amendment, but he has a right to his opinion and a right to TRY to make it happen, no matter how crazy his position is.

Non-story, as far as I am concerned... People have opinions.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

I wouldn't make it a hate crime, but I would say the flag waving needs to end. The war was over a long, long time ago. It's time to rest this flag in a museum where it should be.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

originally posted by: network dude

www.usflag.org...

number 5 down. is that the same flag you are referring to?

Confederate Navy Jack: Used as a navy jack at sea from 1863 onward. This flag has become the generally recognized symbol of the South.

1863. It's called history. Look into it.

Wrong again its called twisting history, because the flag your talking about was square not a rectangle.

The Confederate Battle Flag was never a National Flag of the Confederacy. It was carried into battle by several armies such as the Army Of Northern Virginia and the Army of Tennessee. It was also used as a Naval Jack by the Confederate Navy. The Battle Flag was not called the Stars and Bars. It was called the Southern Cross. The original Battle Flag design was a square flag and not a rectangle.

Your ignorance is quite amusing, but I fear you have run your course.

Please note, the Confederate Battle flag is square as you pointed out.

But......Please also note the Union Jack I mentioned earlier. For all the class to hear, could you please state the shape it appears to be?

Is it
a. a rhombus
b. a trapazoid
c. a circle
or d. a square

Please take your time with this quiz. It's for your final assessment.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

www.usflag.org...

number 5 down. is that the same flag you are referring to?

Confederate Navy Jack: Used as a navy jack at sea from 1863 onward. This flag has become the generally recognized symbol of the South.

1863. It's called history. Look into it.

Wrong again its called twisting history, because the flag your talking about was square not a rectangle.

The Confederate Battle Flag was never a National Flag of the Confederacy. It was carried into battle by several armies such as the Army Of Northern Virginia and the Army of Tennessee. It was also used as a Naval Jack by the Confederate Navy. The Battle Flag was not called the Stars and Bars. It was called the Southern Cross. The original Battle Flag design was a square flag and not a rectangle.

Your ignorance is quite amusing, but I fear you have run your course.

Please note, the Confederate Battle flag is square as you pointed out.

But......Please also note the Union Jack I mentioned earlier. For all the class to hear, could you please state the shape it appears to be?

Is it
a. a rhombus
b. a trapazoid
c. a circle
or d. a square

Please take your time with this quiz. It's for your final assessment.

Looks like a rectangle to me, perhaps the dixiecrats got it from the navy jack. hmmm So many other sources are saying the opposite. . . .

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

I wouldn't make it a hate crime, but I would say the flag waving needs to end. The war was over a long, long time ago. It's time to rest this flag in a museum where it should be.

Well then the American flag should be too, as the flag was made because of a war...you know the revolutionary one that is also over.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   

They did not "get it" from the naval jack.

If it is a rectangle, it IS a naval jack, and if it is square then it IS the confederate battle flag laboriously gone over, in the last I do not know how many pages of this thread.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Looks like a rectangle to me, perhaps the dixiecrats got it from the navy jack. hmmm So many other sources are saying the opposite. .

Please stop while you can as this is just going to get worse for you, as there is enough history written about the actual confederate flag and it's actual spawns and the date they were used that your just looking silly trying to prove a point that has no actual evidence to back the claim.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I don't think at this point it is going to matter, as all I see is someone who wants to be right so bad he doesn't see how wrong he really is.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h
a reply to: TrueBrit

I don't think at this point it is going to matter, as all I see is someone who wants to be right so bad he doesn't see how wrong he really is.

The point is its a racist flag that represents racism thus it could be considered provocative of hate speech thus a hate crime.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   

The point is its a racist flag that represents racism thus it could be considered provocative of hate speech thus a hate crime.

Wrong on all counts...see what I said is actually happening, your making yourself look silly.

BTW I live in a state that used it in their state flag so I do know it's history. Obviously you only know it because of youtube.

Try picking up an actual book instead of looking at youtube videos.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Tell you what look at any picture that has the KKK in it and tell me what you see?

Is the American flag there?

Does that mean we ban the American flag because it is racist, or have racists made the flag that way because of who is flying it?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h

Wrong on all counts...see what I said is actually happening, your making yourself look silly.

BTW I live in a state that used it in their state flag so I do know it's history. Obviously you only know it because of youtube.

Try picking up an actual book instead of looking at youtube videos.

So if someone were to put on KKK robes then claim they arent attempting to promote hatred and racism thats just like someone putting on a confederate T shirt and saying it isnt racist. The confederate flag is based on racism it represents the same principals of what racism is. Both the KKK and the confederate flag are racist symbols of hate and have no place in an America based on equality.
edit on 13-7-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Your story has changed faster than a politician caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

Please go do actual research away from you tube.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   

So... You favour burying history, rather than keeping it where you can see it, be reminded of it, and learn from it?

What fantastic foresight you possess! That is BOUND to have better outcomes than the alternatives! *sarcasm*

ETA:

There is far too much of this sort of madness, people being so afraid of the past that they shy away from it. Nothing is more pathetic, and less likely to see the future they aspire to, come to pass.
edit on 13-7-2015 by TrueBrit because: Added clarification

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: irishhaf

Your story has changed faster than a politician caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

Please go do actual research away from you tube.

So your saying the confederate flag doesnt represent racism? Do you know about its history?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

So... You favour burying history, rather than keeping it where you can see it, be reminded of it, and learn from it?

What fantastic foresight you possess! That is BOUND to have better outcomes than the alternatives!

I am saying the tools of hate speech need to be removed, and hate speech shouldnt be allowed in any form.

Just like you cant yell fire in a theatre, you dont have freedom to inflict harm on others with racist symbolism.

Not in America anyways, which is why the confederate flag is going to be banned, its a racist symbol of hatred and inequality period.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join