It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Let’s make the Confederate flag a hate crime" - College prof calls to criminalize display

page: 19
<< 16  17  18   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

Your fixated on the Dixiecrats revival and use of the flag, yet they were founded and dissolved in 1948. How can a small group that existed decades ago for a very brief time get all the rights to call the historical narrative, why do they get to call the modern cultural origin ? Sorry but your giving them to much power and influence in the totality of the debate.
I am just saying over time it has become a cultural emblem, and racists don't own and fly it exclusively.

Bottom line: Perception of what that flag represents to different people is going to be huge; hate, pride, heritage, rebel attitude, confederate armies, state rights, segregation, just a cool flag, opposition to blacks rights and slavery.
There is good and evil in that list, we can't control other peoples perception or opinions on many different issues, this flag is no different.

Because they were the ones that represented the confederacy with the navy jack, and after that those who were with them or agreed with them began to fly the rectangular navy jack not for southern non racist pride, but for racism in its purist most hateful form.

If people want to choose another flag and say I dont agree with the dixiecrats fine, but if you prop up a navy jack after untold lynchings and burnings of men, women, and childern then your being willfulluly ignorant of the racism perpetuated since 1948.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 05:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

originally posted by: 2wheelvet
a reply to: Rocker2013

Flying it would make me racist or a bigot? I thought I explained already, but here it goes again.

No, you're not reading what I said.

Flying it IN SPITE, simply because you now know it offends people deeply, is racist.

If you now choose to fly that flag just because you know it's offensive to many BLACK AMERICANS, that is the very definition of racism. You are deliberately acting to offend a racial group because you know it offends, there's no reason to other than the simple act of WANTING to attack or offend them in some way.

If you have no other reason to display it than to attack and offend people you know are offended by it, then that IS RACIST INTENT.

All a white person has to do to "offend" some people is simply walk down the wrong street.
Once people start claiming everything offends them others tend to ignore everything they say.
We have gone from legitimate complaints about hiring and voting rights to "micro-aggressions" and "institutionalized racism".
It's gotten to the point where anything one does can be construed as an act of racism.
Poor Aunt Jemima was just trying to make some pancakes.........

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
How crazy can people get? Nobody is going to tell other people how to feel. I don't recoil from the Confederate flag nor should I or anyone else. It always seems that there are a group of people who want to control History. You can't control history nor what occurred. History should not be whitewashed and objectionable events removed. Americans need to open their eyes, embrace what happened in history and vow not to repeat it. However, acting like something didn't happen and vilifying a flag and punishing people who have it or display it won't change a thing except make people more inclined to display it.
a reply to: Asktheanimals

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   

I can't even say what I'd like to say about this one. I'm pissed off. They are attacking my ancestors, my heritage, my past.

How about we ban idiot college professors, and any jerk that claims someone else doesn't have a right to free speech?

It's becoming clear that someone is actively pushing for a real war. This keeps up, they may well get one.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I think this is where most people make the hate/Flag connection:

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

This is how communism starts.

Friendly and with good intentions then suddenly you have classical leninism installed in government.

I don't like or agree with it but you have to allow them freedom of expression like the constitution has outlined.
edit on 8-11-2015 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: added content

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

So what are your thoughts on flags with a crescent moon and a star?

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I am not judging flags, I was simply pointing out why some people associate the confederate flag with racism. A flag is just a piece of cloth, what it represents is different things to different people.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011

I think this is where most people make the hate/Flag connection:

Never once did it stand for the confederacy in fact they rejected it. It did however fly on some navy ships and was chosen by a few groups in the confederacy. It only became a symbol of the confederacy in the 1940s out of racism and racism alone. It has represented racism since it was revived in the 1940s by the dixiecrats who were all about lynching people of color and protesting anti segregation, anyone who doesnt understand that is turning a blind eye to the history of the flag.

edit on 9-11-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
People like this are making these things up in order for racism and other agendas to flourish. Without creating these things, there is no cause from which to have a platform of power. He is either knowingly or unknowingly doing this, just like the MSM doing these things so they have a place of power. Without them, these things would be dead in the water including the whole issue of racism being politicized and beaten to death. This guy needs to be committed to an insane asylum, or jailed for attempting to incite rioting. (his own idea thrown right back at him so he learns how ludicrous it all is.)

it would be so much easier if we just simplify the whole topic. All dissent will be punished by being shot with your own pistol and like in China , paying for the bullet. We must all walk and talk in lock-step....smiling bravely while staying in cadence and shouting allegiance to our love of obedience........

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18   >>

join