It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Let’s make the Confederate flag a hate crime" - College prof calls to criminalize display

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: yuppa

How does that work for gaining votes? It's not like the GOP didn't have that label before all this happened.

democrat votes not republican.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Yeah... my statement stands.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
The authoritarian, fascists took over the Democrat party about 40 years ago, after Jimmy Carter made a mess of things for the party. They sold out to the corporate interests just like the Republicans (Nixon) had done. Thus the birth of the Libertarian Party in 1971---because they recognized that the two major parties had gone off the deep end and abandoned the principles of the founding fathers in favor of corporatism.

I agree, but quit pretending like you know something that most of us here already do not know, it comes across as condescending and arrogant.

You keep repeating what Liberalism once stood for, well nice history lesson, but today it has clearly become a warped version of its prior ideology. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

And I suppose you think that the Naval Jack never flew at any port, or seaward fortification controlled by the confederate navy, on territories controlled by the Confederate government!

Well thought out argument, well done... Except, of course, fortifications under the auspices of the Confederate Navy would, of course, have flown the Naval Jack, as would any landing parties they might have sent out into Union controlled territory.

The naval jack was rejected by the confederacy for the square battle flag. The naval jack did fly over ships for 2-3 years.

The naval jack only resurfaced when the dixiecrats went protesting laws that forbid whites from lynching African Americans, and to promote a pro segregation agenda. The dixiecrats were a racist political party organized in the summer of 1948 by conservative white southerners committed to states' rights and the maintenance of segregation and opposed to federal intervention into race. So people are waving the naval jack which was made the new confederate flag by the dixiecrats, which was voted against by the actual confederacy and rejected as thier national symbol. It was designed by William Porcher Miles, the chairman of the Flag and Seal committee, a now-popular variant of the Confederate flag was rejected as the national flag in 1861.

It was only after the dixiecrats did thier protest did people start to fly the navy jack confederate flag.
Heres a quote from the dixiecrats who took up the naval jack rectangular confederate flag:

We stand for the segregation of the races and the racial integrity of each race; the constitutional right to choose one's associates; to accept private employment without governmental interference, and to earn one's living in any lawful way. We oppose the elimination of segregation, the repeal of miscegenation statutes, the control of private employment by Federal bureaucrats called for by the misnamed civil rights program. We favor home-rule, local self-government and a minimum interference with individual rights.

Please stop.

The "Confederate flag"
For usage of Confederate symbols in modern society and popular culture, see Modern display of the Confederate flag.
"Rebel flag" redirects here. For the red and black flag commonly used in video games and symbology for unnamed or generic rebel movements, see bisected flag.

A rectangularized variant of the Army of Northern Virginia battle flag, common in modern reproductions. (A similar flag was used during the war by the Army of Tennessee under General Joseph E. Johnston.[31][32])
Designed by William Porcher Miles, the chairman of the Flag and Seal committee, a now-popular variant of the Confederate flag was rejected as the national flag in 1861. It was instead adopted as a battle flag by the Army of Northern Virginia under General Robert E. Lee.[33] Despite never having historically represented the CSA as a country nor officially recognized as one of the national flags, it is commonly referred to as "the Confederate Flag" and has become a widely recognized symbol of the American south.[34] It is also known as the rebel flag, Dixie flag, and Southern cross and is often incorrectly referred to as the "Stars and Bars".[35] (The actual "Stars and Bars" is the first national flag, which used an entirely different design.) The self-declared Confederate exclave of Town Line, New York, lacking a genuine Confederate flag, flew a version of this flag prior to its 1946 vote to ceremonially rejoin the Union.[citation needed] As of the early 21st century, the "rebel flag" has become a highly divisive symbol in the United States.[36]

en.wikipedia.org...

If you want to offer a history lesson to people, at least try to learn the history BEFORE you speak.

The rectanglular confederate flag was never the flag for the whole of the confederate army perhaps a few groups. It was only after the dixiecrats did thier racist protest (because there were laws forbiding people from lynching African Americans) did the rectangular flag become popularized as the confederate flag. Learn your history before you get it all wrong.

You really think the navy jack was used as the emblem of the whole of the confederate army? Of course it wasnt, but it is now why? . . . . . . . . . Because of the dixiecrats racist protests, thats why.

So why the navy jack as the new confederate flag? Because the dixiecrats chose the navy jack, and if you wear the navy jack to represent the whole of the confederate southern states where did that idea come from. . . . . . . Say it with me. . . . . THE DIXIECRATS!

So if your wearing the naval jack or rectangular confederate flag your either in support of the division of the confederate navy that used it or. . . . Your with the dixiecrats and using it as an emblem for the whole of the confederate military.

The rectangular confederate flag was never the flag of all the southern forces, it was rejected as an emblem.

Until the dixiecrats came along and made it the new confederate emblem in 1948. . . . . .
edit on 15-7-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

While we are at it let's criminalize 'A rabbi walks into a bar' jokes-those are clearly anti Semitic, And all those blonde jokes-clearly genetic defamation.

There are probably some 3rd graders wondering what all the fuss is about-how do you explain to them why their flag is being lowered.

"Daddy why did they take the flag down?"

"Because some people did some naughty things, and those few people liked this flag so now we can't raise it anymore"

"But what did the flag do?"

"Nothing son, nothing at all."

edit on 15-7-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

You know, instead of glazing over the details, you could be honest with your child about the history and appeal of that flag. But hey, your intention was to foster discontent in your child instead of giving him all the details and coming to his own conclusion in the first place.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Some of what you say is true but not all, I decided to research this for myself.
This is what I found:

1) The "confederate flag" as it known today was rejected by the confederate state.
2) The square version was then adopted by General Lee's Virgina Army and the Army of Tennessee, other divisions of the Confederate forces don't seem to have flown it.
3) The flags' use was diminished after the war.
4) The dixicrats revived its use as a rallying point for political purposes in the late 40's.
5) As the years past the rectangle version began to represent different thing to different people.
6) The original square design used by 2 state armies is embedded in the state flag of Mississippi.
7) One crazy racist who kills people in the south used it to ignite the ongoing race battle in America.
8) Most black people want the flag gone entirely, but a very few support it and actually display it, and defend their reasoning for that.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33

Some of what you say is true but not all, I decided to research this for myself.
This is what I found:

1) The "confederate flag" as it known today was rejected by the confederate state.
2) The square version was then adopted by General Lee's Virgina Army and the Army of Tennessee, other divisions of the Confederate forces don't seem to have flown it.
3) The flags' use was diminished after the war.
4) The dixicrats revived its use as a rallying point for political purposes in the late 40's.
5) As the years past the rectangle version began to represent different thing to different people.
6) The original square design used by 2 state armies is embedded in the state flag of Mississippi.
7) One crazy racist who kills people in the south used it to ignite the ongoing race battle in America.
8) Most black people want the flag gone entirely, but a very few support it and actually display it, and defend their reasoning for that.

Well I have to say your one of the first people on this forum to even accept that much of the truth of history. Good job!

Heres what the dixiecrats stood for:

We stand for the segregation of the races and the racial integrity of each race; the constitutional right to choose one's associates; to accept private employment without governmental interference, and to earn one's living in any lawful way. We oppose the elimination of segregation, the repeal of miscegenation statutes, the control of private employment by Federal bureaucrats called for by the misnamed civil rights program. We favor home-rule, local self-government and a minimum interference with individual rights.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Yeah... my statement stands.

SO does mine. the democratic party has always used these issues to gin up more votes. They have a Black democratic caucus as well so theres a good example.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I guess we can mark this in history when ISIS style liberal lunatics take over America and destroy all history, destroy flags, statues, memorials, books, people, anything that goes against their globalist warped ideology that comes straight from the black heart of globalist cartel. You're with us or you're racist. Tyranny you can cheer for.

Good luck America!

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: SecretFace
I guess we can mark this in history when ISIS style liberal lunatics take over America and destroy all history, destroy flags, statues, memorials, books, people, anything that goes against their globalist warped ideology that comes straight from the black heart of globalist cartel. You're with us or you're racist. Tyranny you can cheer for.

Good luck America!

Symbolisms of segregation and slavery have no place amongst things to be honored in our civilization, they are to be rejected. People can embrace segragation and slavery if they want to but it will only lead people to thier own barbaric and savage ruin. We have morals its time we used the moral compass within each of us that tells us what is right from wrong. Slavery and racism are wrong period. If people dont understand those basic things they need mental rehabilitation.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Symbolisms of segregation and slavery have no place amongst things to be honored in our civilization, they are to be rejected.

You need a new flag then, Stars 'n Stripes have a genocidal history.
I can live with that, our German flag did change a lot in the last century.

Can you overcome your past as well?

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

RE NEDIFICATION NEEDED STAT!!

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion

Symbolisms of segregation and slavery have no place amongst things to be honored in our civilization, they are to be rejected.

You need a new flag then, Stars 'n Stripes have a genocidal history.
I can live with that, our German flag did change a lot in the last century.

Can you overcome your past as well?

The American flag has changed many times over the years I see no problem with it changing more in the future.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

RE NEDIFICATION NEEDED STAT!!

This makes sense to who exactly?

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers!

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Your fixated on the Dixiecrats revival and use of the flag, yet they were founded and dissolved in 1948. How can a small group that existed decades ago for a very brief time get all the rights to call the historical narrative, why do they get to call the modern cultural origin ? Sorry but your giving them to much power and influence in the totality of the debate.
I am just saying over time it has become a cultural emblem, and racists don't own and fly it exclusively.

Bottom line: Perception of what that flag represents to different people is going to be huge; hate, pride, heritage, rebel attitude, confederate armies, state rights, segregation, just a cool flag, opposition to blacks rights and slavery.
There is good and evil in that list, we can't control other peoples perception or opinions on many different issues, this flag is no different.

edit on 15-7-2015 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: SheopleNation
I'm sorry you are offended by my attempts to educate some of the people who post here and quite obviously don't know what the liberal philosophy represents. Some folks have listened to talk radio/tv for too long and actually have begun to believe that the liberal philosophy means less freedom. Just because a talk radio host is too ignorant or intellectually lazy to be precise with words doesn't excuse him/her.
I find it highly ironic that this thread theme contains a number of posters calling this professor a liberal and insisting that they are correct when in fact his original statement called for less freedom, more government control over the individual. At least he saw the error of his way when he engaged his brain.
Words have meaning and you and others in this thread have repeatedly been mistaken in calling fascist or authoritarian statements out as "liberal."
If, as you state above, you really do know the difference between a liberal and an authoritarian, you are then guilty of being intellectually dishonest in that name-calling. You are pulling the same nonsense that the idiots calling for a ban of the flag by insisting that you and only you will define what is "liberal" and what isn't. It is obvious to me that a goodly number of people need a history lesson if they honestly believe that calling for the ban of a flag is part of liberalism. It isn't and I will continue to deny that bit of ignorance when I see it being pushed.
Why would denying ignorance bother you so much that you feel the need to accuse me of being arrogant and condescending because I put forth the facts?
The world isn't made up of black and white and it isn't populated solely by liberals and conservatives. That is the view that the brain-lazy people wish to present to keep the blinders firmly in place on "their" crowd, no matter what the facts of the issue are.
Here is some advise we should all take seriously: www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

We just need to tax the population more. If you want to ban the rebel flag, pay first then ban.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33

Bottom line: Perception of what that flag represents to different people is going to be huge; hate, pride, heritage, rebel attitude, confederate armies, state rights, segregation, just a cool flag, opposition to blacks rights and slavery.
There is good and evil in that list, we can't control other peoples perception or opinions on many different issues, this flag is no different.

I think that is a good bottom line...Perceptions of any symbol vary and mean different things to different people. There is no denying that the "Confederate Flag" is a symbol of racism for some and it is a symbol of Heritage for others.

In that context it makes sense relegate the flag to public free expression rather than a government endorsed, associated symbol tc.

<< 15  16  17    19 >>

join