It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Let’s make the Confederate flag a hate crime" - College prof calls to criminalize display

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: Asktheanimals

And some openly wonder why so many Americans consider the nation's academia to be a joke worthy of spite and mockery... Despite all the letters following their names and all the honorary certificates on their office walls, too many American collegiate professors sure seem to be dumber than a box of cow flops.

The removal of the confederate battle flag from government display is understandable, but making its display a 'crime' is not possible under the Constitution. Indeed, the American Nazi Party marched through Jewish neighborhoods displaying the Hakenkreuz and were protected by police.
U Mass is famous for politically correct institutional stupidity, especially in the social 'sciences' and similar departments.

Comparing cowflops to sociology professors, in any way, is insulting to cowflops.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Just because it amuses me and because I can.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Too Funny

He is such a bad boy.
i.dailymail.co.uk...

Make it stop PLEEEAAASSSEEE

Oh the insanity and irony of it all.
edit on 13-7-2015 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: SheopleNation

originally posted by: diggindirt

The ignorance of people on this board is sometimes absolutely astounding!
Let me say it again---people who call for repression of free speech or free expression---ARE NOT LIBERALS! They are authoritarians no matter what they call themselves.

Well then maybe you need to dig a little deeper into your dirt hole and comprehend what they call themselves? Most of us here on ATS are well aware of who the original liberals were, you're not educating anyone, you're just flinging dirt around just like they do. ~$heopleNation

If you know about the original liberals why are you so ignorantly calling this ding-dong professor a liberal and spouting off about it being a mental disease. You've been brainwashed by some radio talkshow host I suspect.
I'm simply following the motto of the site: Deny ignorance.

It is indeed ignorant to make statements like the one you made in the post to which I replied. Just because Michael Savage wrote a book and made a lot of money out of the line doesn't make it the truth any more than Hillary or Obama claiming to be a liberal makes it true.

The authoritarian, fascists took over the Democrat party about 40 years ago, after Jimmy Carter made a mess of things for the party. They sold out to the corporate interests just like the Republicans (Nixon) had done. Thus the birth of the Libertarian Party in 1971---because they recognized that the two major parties had gone off the deep end and abandoned the principles of the founding fathers in favor of corporatism.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Apologies.

What's the PC term for authoratative, draconian-progressive ideology again?

Oh yeah, liberal.

I Think these are some of the latest:

Social justice warrior or (SJW) for short.
Or Messiah class
Or "Brights"
Lots of cute PC terms to call them.
Essentially anyone attempting to force their utopia up your A-Hole whether you like it or not, whilst calling the methods "Progressive" and maintaining that they are morally and ethically superior to anyone who disagrees.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Syyth007
I agree with your summation for the most part. I've read enough journals and letters from the time, some of them from my family members, some from my husband's family's journals of that time to know that to a great many slave owners of the day, it was indeed a burden they felt on a daily basis. My husband's family was in Atlanta when Sherman came through. Their diaries reflect the fear and dread they felt when they lost their homes and their business to bombs and yet their slaves refused to leave and still required food, shelter, clothing and medical care.

They had immigrated from England to New York in 1831. I don't know if they brought their slaves with them, no mention is made in the journals but by 1850 they had settled in Georgia and owned eight slaves. The diaries show that by 1853 they were violating the law by teaching the slaves reading, writing and arithmetic along with their own children. They believed that the end of slavery was in sight but felt the moral obligation to prepare their slaves for freedom. They were a family of publishers so there was no shortage of reading materials.

That family's story is not at all unique. Journals kept by Quakers and Shakers of the period tell the same stories.

A many-greats grandfather of mine on my mother's side lost everything he owned when the Confederacy burned his home and all his buildings in order to build Fort Heiman after they figured out that Fort Henry was a huge mistake. They came in the middle of the night and set fire to his home with his family sleeping and his animals penned in barns. He had refused to sell or give them his homestead so they took it.
He fled with his family across the river into Tennessee where his four sons promptly enlisted in the Confederate army. They didn't own slaves. Go figure!
They were dirt farmers, ferrymen and boat builders. I have no idea what went through the minds of those young men when they decided to fight for the side that had nearly killed them in a house fire to gain territory.
It makes my head go sideways just thinking about it.

Vietnam---at the time I didn't understand it at all but I distinctly remember my Dad remarking, "Nixon just signed his death warrant. The Military Industrial Complex won't let him get by with that." when he announced that he was going to pull out of Vietnam. It wasn't until he got caught up in the Watergate fiasco that I realized that "death warrant" Daddy spoke of wasn't necessarily literal death.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: snowen20
a reply to: beezzer

Apologies.

What's the PC term for authoratative, draconian-progressive ideology again?

Oh yeah, liberal.

I Think these are some of the latest:

Social justice warrior or (SJW) for short.
Or Messiah class
Or "Brights"
Lots of cute PC terms to call them.
Essentially anyone attempting to force their utopia up your A-Hole whether you like it or not, whilst calling the methods "Progressive" and maintaining that they are morally and ethically superior to anyone who disagrees.

I would give you a sky full of stars for that! That is as succinct a definition as I've seen.
These people are as far from liberals as biscuits to bunnies.
Liberals don't see social justice as "war" we were the peace-nicks, the protestors for peace.
Liberals don't see any need to be a Messiah, we just wanted to be left alone and free to pursue life, liberty and happiness.
I'm not at all familiar with "Brights" so I have no idea of the reference.
But I do know that liberals advocate for MORE freedom, not less. Fewer laws to break to fill prisons and government coffers---not more.
These people are like the Lords of Medieval Europe---wanting to control your every behavior and thought. I call them the Progressive Dragon Lords, fully owned by the Petrochemical-Pharmaceutical-Military-Industrial-Transnational-Corporate-Fascist-Elite-Bastards.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Oh, those wacky college professors! Somewhere, in the artificial Potemkin-village atmosphere that is most college towns, another one and another one goes off the deep end and people cheer their cleverness! Don't worry, the college kids who listen to them get over it and turn into real people, unless of course they never leave.
a reply to: Asktheanimals

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   
The confederate flag had nothing to do with the confederacy other than it being used by a few ships, it was known as the navy jack. It was the dixiecrats that made it the symbol of the south in 1948. The flag never was used by the confederate troops or over thier terrority. I think people are attempting to ignore where the flag gained its fame and thats the dixiecrats and thier racist slogans of pro segregation. To say the current confederate flag isnt racist is to deny its own history as it resurfaced to promote prejudice. Since 1948 it has become the symbol of the confederacy for most, but the truth is its the symbol the dixiecrats made popular for the purposes of segregation.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

Are you STILL on this kick?

Your assertion is entirely false, and such has been pointed out to you numerous times. Your information is bad, and the fact that you know this to be the case, has not stopped you from continuing to talk nonsense throughout this thread. Frankly, your conduct in this thread has been entirely sub par, and your unwillingness to learn from persons better informed than yourself, has marked you out consistently, as one of the most closed minded people imaginable.

Your lack of historical understanding, cultural knowledge, and failure to take the opportunity to learn something in humility, and choice to instead lambast people who offer you a chance to gain knowledge, before spouting your fallacies again and again, has become utterly tiresome.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Are you STILL on this kick?

Your assertion is entirely false, and such has been pointed out to you numerous times. Your information is bad, and the fact that you know this to be the case, has not stopped you from continuing to talk nonsense throughout this thread. Frankly, your conduct in this thread has been entirely sub par, and your unwillingness to learn from persons better informed than yourself, has marked you out consistently, as one of the most closed minded people imaginable.

Your lack of historical understanding, cultural knowledge, and failure to take the opportunity to learn something in humility, and choice to instead lambast people who offer you a chance to gain knowledge, before spouting your fallacies again and again, has become utterly tiresome.

Do you even know who the dixiecrats were?

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Of course I do. That is hardly the point though is it?

You claim that the Confederate Battle Flag was never flown over the land on which the Confederate Armies strode. This is entirely false, as it was carried by the troops of generals Robert E. Lee, and others, in the field of battle, which is where it was designed to be carried.

Your constant rambling about this flag never having been carried here, or done this or done that, is utter lies, poppycock, balderdash, vast stinking piles of BS a mile and a half high, and you have been doing it non stop. Stop lying to everyone. All I am asking for here is intellectual honesty. It is clear that you know nothing worth knowing about the flag itself, its specific origins, the history of the south, the history and origins of slavery, the history of the civil war, or any of the relevant data important to this topic, and all I want to see you do, is ask questions, rather than talking crap just because you have some how, and against the odds attested to above, summoned the wit to figure out how to move your fingers against the keyboard effectively.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Of course I do. That is hardly the point though is it?

You claim that the Confederate Battle Flag was never flown over the land on which the Confederate Armies strode. This is entirely false, as it was carried by the troops of generals Robert E. Lee, and others, in the field of battle, which is where it was designed to be carried.

Your constant rambling about this flag never having been carried here, or done this or done that, is utter lies, poppycock, balderdash, vast stinking piles of BS a mile and a half high, and you have been doing it non stop. Stop lying to everyone. All I am asking for here is intellectual honesty. It is clear that you know nothing worth knowing about the flag itself, its specific origins, the history of the south, the history and origins of slavery, the history of the civil war, or any of the relevant data important to this topic, and all I want to see you do, is ask questions, rather than talking crap just because you have some how, and against the odds attested to above, summoned the wit to figure out how to move your fingers against the keyboard effectively.

Thats where your wrong the confederate flag never flew the navy jack other than on a few ships, which is a rectangle. The same rectangle flag which the dixiecrats adopted in . . . . . . . . .1948. The rectangle flag has since been the symbol of the confederacy, only after the dixiecrats in 1948. They were using the flag to promote segregation and racism period.
edit on 14-7-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

And I suppose you think that the Naval Jack never flew at any port, or seaward fortification controlled by the confederate navy, on territories controlled by the Confederate government!

Well thought out argument, well done... Except, of course, fortifications under the auspices of the Confederate Navy would, of course, have flown the Naval Jack, as would any landing parties they might have sent out into Union controlled territory.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Khaleesi
Just because it amuses me and because I can.

This image of a black, gay, drag queen wearing a confederate flag confirms the Confederate Flag does not endorse racism...

Precisely as much as...

This image of a black, gay, drag queen wearing a confederate flag confirms that supporters of the Confederate flag ascribe to the black, gay, drag queen lifestyle.

If that doesn't comport, ponder irony as a fashion statement.
edit on 14-7-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

And I suppose you think that the Naval Jack never flew at any port, or seaward fortification controlled by the confederate navy, on territories controlled by the Confederate government!

Well thought out argument, well done... Except, of course, fortifications under the auspices of the Confederate Navy would, of course, have flown the Naval Jack, as would any landing parties they might have sent out into Union controlled territory.

The naval jack was rejected by the confederacy for the square battle flag. The naval jack did fly over ships for 2-3 years.

The naval jack only resurfaced when the dixiecrats went protesting laws that forbid whites from lynching African Americans, and to promote a pro segregation agenda. The dixiecrats were a racist political party organized in the summer of 1948 by conservative white southerners committed to states' rights and the maintenance of segregation and opposed to federal intervention into race. So people are waving the naval jack which was made the new confederate flag by the dixiecrats, which was voted against by the actual confederacy and rejected as thier national symbol. It was designed by William Porcher Miles, the chairman of the Flag and Seal committee, a now-popular variant of the Confederate flag was rejected as the national flag in 1861.

It was only after the dixiecrats did thier protest did people start to fly the navy jack confederate flag.
Heres a quote from the dixiecrats who took up the naval jack rectangular confederate flag:

We stand for the segregation of the races and the racial integrity of each race; the constitutional right to choose one's associates; to accept private employment without governmental interference, and to earn one's living in any lawful way. We oppose the elimination of segregation, the repeal of miscegenation statutes, the control of private employment by Federal bureaucrats called for by the misnamed civil rights program. We favor home-rule, local self-government and a minimum interference with individual rights.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

And again I say, that you have failed time and again to accept the history of this flag, or the slightest information about it in this thread.

Yes, it was ADOPTED by the Dixiecrats, but it did not belong to them then, and does not belong to them now. You do not have permission to judge those who fly it based on your ignorant and ill informed understanding of history, and even if you had a better grasp of history than that possessed by your average 20oz hammer, you would still not be permitted to judge others reasons for what they do, or their intent in doing them.

Just because a person likes a flag, respects their heritage, and is not afraid to delve into the realities of their history does not make them a bad person. Please educate yourself properly before commenting further, and spreading your vitriol all over the place.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

And again I say, that you have failed time and again to accept the history of this flag, or the slightest information about it in this thread.

Yes, it was ADOPTED by the Dixiecrats, but it did not belong to them then, and does not belong to them now. You do not have permission to judge those who fly it based on your ignorant and ill informed understanding of history, and even if you had a better grasp of history than that possessed by your average 20oz hammer, you would still not be permitted to judge others reasons for what they do, or their intent in doing them.

Just because a person likes a flag, respects their heritage, and is not afraid to delve into the realities of their history does not make them a bad person. Please educate yourself properly before commenting further, and spreading your vitriol all over the place.

It was only after the dixiecrats used it did it become known as the the flag representing the confederacy, and it was only after their pro segregation protest did it become a popular symbol in American southern culture, as a protest to desegregation. People can call it whatever they want now but thats what the flag was used for and how it got its popularity. To put on KKK robes and say its not racist is the height of ignorance just like waving the navy jack confederate flag promoted by the dixiecrats. If people are waving the same symbolism they were how can they say its for a different purpose other than to be racist just like the dixiecrats? If anyone was serious about thier heritage they would know the navy jack never even once was the real confederate flag in fact it was rejected by them.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: spirit_horse

Ooops! He must be racist!

Racist...No, he doesn't look racist. He looks 80% drunk and 20% crazy and 100% fearless. Good for him.

She...on the other hand...looks not too pleased that her friend chose to take the "novelty Picture" of her standing next to a real, live black man!

Too funny...Looking at her expression leaves no doubt how she feels about the picture.

edit on 14-7-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

It was only after the dixiecrats used it did it become known as the the flag representing the confederacy, and it was only after their pro segregation protest did it become a popular symbol in American southern culture, as a protest to desegregation. People can call it whatever they want now but thats what the flag was used for and how it got its popularity. To put on KKK robes and say its not racist is the height of ignorance just like waving the navy jack confederate flag promoted by the dixiecrats. If people are waving the same symbolism they were how can they say its for a different purpose other than to be racist just like the dixiecrats? If anyone was serious about thier heratage they would know the navy jack never even once was the real confederate flag in fact it was rejected by them.

All true, but when you consider that the Flag originated as General Lee's battle flag...I'd say the first time the flag flew as a symbol of racism and oppression was when the final stitch was sewn 160 years ago.

That uncomfortable truth is why we see a resurgence of the revisionist history with folks trying to explain that the Civil War was not about slavery...That is painfully ignorant BS. You can say it was about economics...yes...the economics of the south amassing wealth through slavery...you can say it was about "State Rights"...yes ..the Southern States Right's to keep slaves. The Civil War is the most thoroughly documented war the USA has ever engaged in and the reasons the South gave for war are not in question.

Now...the way symbols work...is that each person assigns their own meaning. I have no doubt that some see the Confederate flag as a symbol of heritage or "rebel" status...I also have no doubt that number is smaller than what people claim as many a racist will hide behind the "heritage not hate" argument.

Every individual has a right to see that flag how they choose and to fly it as they choose, but a flag that was proudly flown at lynchings and KKK rallies, a flag first sewn to defend the right to oppress and enslave...has no business on US government grounds.

As for personal expression..tats, trucks, homes and t-shirts...have at it. Free expression is the life blood of this country, but don't expect everyone you meet to see the flag the same way you do...just like you might not see it the same way they do.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join