It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Let’s make the Confederate flag a hate crime" - College prof calls to criminalize display

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: christophoros

"Spearchuckers". Oh, I've heard that one a few times, along with "gut eater". britguy did not use the term "spearchucker" in his post. He pointed out that his adversary in that case most probably would be chasing after food if not for the fact that his ancestors were brought to a world where that was no longer required.

I am not championing the European culture or demonizing the African culture. Honestly, you're the one putting words in peoples mouths (or letters beneath their fingers) and, further, the European culture that brought the "spearchuckers", as you say, into a civilization that no longer required primitive means to survive were, at one time, no more advanced.

North Africa did and does have an advanced culture, but obviously, it did not stop the slave trade. I would say that the advanced culture in North Africa more than likely enabled and burgeoned the European slave culture at the time. Someone's color does not dictate the advancement of their culture - all their color dictates is their locale in the world, and at this point and for the last one-hundred years (at the very least) there has been very little correlation to a particular individuals advancement, or race based on locale.

Cultures rise and fall. The Egyptians were advanced, so were the Sumerians. But they all collapsed. As to why, I highly doubt it had to do with "racism" or anything of the like.
edit on 13-7-2015 by OrdoAdChao because: clarity, as usual

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   
America isn't doing itself any favours by backtracking it's entire history and identity as ''racist'' when the majority of the people there see it as a historical reference to the formation of the USA, and to the rest of the world the confederate flag is part of their identity.

A lot of people that bought that flag around the world as a popular symbol of the US.
edit on 13-7-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
I had ancestors on both sides of the civil war. The southern ones never owned slaves. The Union Jack of the confederates represented the fight to preserve their states right to self govern when the federal govt, set up for protection against foreign invasion only, over stepped their jurisdiction and wanted to govern where they had no right.

State sovereignty and self rule was precious to the southerners. When the south lost forever was the federal to rule ALL States supreme.

Look where that has led us too today?

To being the biggest economy and one of the richest nations on earth.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

Pick 1 point I was off on congrats... I stand corrected on that single point...

What about Jackson, forrest, and Davis?

I don't mind being corrected...

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Twitter fans are looking for physical abuse..www.teaparty.org... mpaign-encouraging-people-rip-confederate-flags

Good way to bait one of the little monkeys...

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Even if the US does outlaw it China will still sell it around the world because it sells. How ironic would that be ?
People seem to like how it looks and what it represents to them. Do you really think a native swiss citizen in Switzerland who buys and displays that flag is promoting and supporting slavery, do you think his neighbors think he is doing that ?

www.aliexpress.com...
edit on 13-7-2015 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

to being sub servient to the FEderal goverment,and paying taxes each year. Also forced to buy insurance as well. yeah really good progress.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

Figuring out what's racist and what's not sure is confusing. You've got such a good handle on it...maybe you should write a thread about it so we can all give your statements the proper measure of scrutiny?

We could start with your assertion that "racist intent" is determined by the person offended, rather than by the actual intent of the person flying the flag.
edit on 13-7-2015 by OpenMindedRealist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Hmm. I am hard pressed to find a major news source that makes that his direct quote. I am also hard pressed to find his direct quote at all. I have a hard time with interpretations from either left or right so I cannot make a direct comment on this aside from: We need what he said as opposed to what others have interpreted.
edit on 13-7-2015 by OrdoAdChao because: a vs. o --- it must be the beer

edit on 13-7-2015 by OrdoAdChao because: said? interpreted? Go to bed, you fool!

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Somebody is going to get hurt, an already inflamed situation, people trespass and steal what is symbolically valuable to them. I hope the police are up to the challenge on this one. I watched the videos.

America gets crazier by the day.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Yeah... that wasn't intentional or anything.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: SheopleNation
Once again, The mental disease called liberalism is an emotional and irrational condition that is madness with no end. The American flag will be next, and that may be where the dog comes back and bites these lunatics where the sun don't shine. You can only push a people so far, so keep it up. Foolish mortals. ~$heopleNation

The ignorance of people on this board is sometimes absolutely astounding!
Let me say it again---people who call for repression of free speech or free expression---ARE NOT LIBERALS! They are authoritarians no matter what they call themselves.
Liberals believe in liberty---freedom---not repression of speech or flags or any of that rot.
Just because some nutjobs like Hildabeast have called themselves liberals doesn't mean it is true. She's a fascist as far as I can tell, bought and paid for by the corporate bigwigs, willing servant to their wants. This college prof could be one of her gang, I don't know but I do know that his words PROVE he isn't a liberal. They can call themselves anything they like, but their words and deeds give lie to their claims. The founding fathers of this nation were liberals in the true sense. Today I suppose they would be called libertarians---because they didn't want the government telling them which newspaper or book they could read, which church they could attend or who their associates could be.
They believed that government was formed to protect the Natural Rights of all people---not to take away those rights or define them. That is in direct opposition to those who call themselves liberals today and yet are chained to the corporate interests that pay them to dance. Now they call themselves Progressives. And yet their policies are regressive---like this poor, ignorant guy who wants to repress freedom of expression. Maybe we should begin calling them REGRESSIVES since they appear to want to go back to an earlier time when government controlled most aspects of life.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Ooops! He must be racist!

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

The terms thrown around on these forums really do represent popular meaning. Which is a terrible irony, considering that these forums, as far as I have understood, are supposed to take what popular society and media present and untwist the message. Unfortunately, many here are absorbed in what "alternative" media presents as well as main stream without so much as a thought.

Instead of thinking for themselves so many simply fall in line with what is seemingly "fringe" or "unpopular" - or even popular - for the sake of being different.

That goes for the topic of this thread. Racism and its symbols are nuanced, so should the conversation. Instead we get - no pun intended - black and white answers to grey questions.

It blows my mind.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I'll just bet that you folks who are insisting the Civil War was about slavery first and foremost also believe that the Vietnam war was about "Saving the US from the dirty Communists!" simply because that's what a lot of high school textbooks say. They say that because they repeat the lies of LBJ and the rest of the Military Industrial Complex. I'll bet they've got the "Domino" speeches even!

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt

The ignorance of people on this board is sometimes absolutely astounding!
Let me say it again---people who call for repression of free speech or free expression---ARE NOT LIBERALS! They are authoritarians no matter what they call themselves.

Well then maybe you need to dig a little deeper into your dirt hole and comprehend what they call themselves? Most of us here on ATS are well aware of who the original liberals were, you're not educating anyone, you're just flinging dirt around just like they do. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
I'll just bet that you folks who are insisting the Civil War was about slavery first and foremost also believe that the Vietnam war was about "Saving the US from the dirty Communists!" simply because that's what a lot of high school textbooks say. They say that because they repeat the lies of LBJ and the rest of the Military Industrial Complex. I'll bet they've got the "Domino" speeches even!

Oh why don't you educate us all about the powers that be my friend? LMAO!!! Apparently you are the only one who is in the know, and in the dirt apparently. Get over yourself, it's a circus side show on both sides these days. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

No, slavery wasn't the only issue causing the civil war, but it was most likely the driving force for open hostility - The north understood that the south depended upon slavery as an economic base - Of course there were also economic driving forces in the north that wanted to industrialize the south (read up on who benefited most from the reconstruction period), and actually, slavery was standing in the way of that. It doesn't dismiss the moral abhorrence of slavery, but not all motives on either side were pure. No issue, or motivation is simply black or white.

As for Vietnam, that war was the result of foreign governments meddling in stable governments, propping up morally bankrupt puppet governments, suffering the consequences, then trying to save face - the Soviet Union only got involved to try and embarrass the west, and general post ww2 politics - Vietnam has never been on friendly terms with China, and the break-up of Vietnam in the first place was to lessen their threat to China. Vietnam, and pretty much all of SE Asia are still on shaky ground with China, and that fact is still exploited Geo-politically to this day.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: Indigo5

originally posted by: yuppa
a reply to: Indigo5

A true conservative wants the constitution to remain the same,hence conserving it.

Any sentence that begins with.."A true conservative".."A true liberal".."A true loyalaist"..."A true patriot"..."A true" whatever...is apt to be followed by BS and your post is no exception.

And no...the "Conserve" in "Conservative" does not reference the constitution.

I'll let you discover that history on your own. Hint, pre-segregation,...the southern democrats were the vast bulk of the conservative party...and what Americans call "Conservatism" now, other parts of the world call Liberalism or neoliberalism.

NOPE you are wrong ill drop you the definition of it and the page its from. It does mean to preserve.

true meaning of conservative by the dictionary

That doesn't say anything about Conservatives being named such for wanting to "Conserve" the constitution as you claimed?

Good luck on your journey of discovery..
edit on 13-7-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
And to make a direct post on topic - the idea to make the confederate flag a hate crime is too stupid to even put into words - no one who believes in a free society could ever support that - I say, if you want to fly a Nazi flag on your porch, that's your prerogative and we don't need legislation against insulting people by expressing your views, no matter what those views may be.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join