It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Let’s make the Confederate flag a hate crime" - College prof calls to criminalize display

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

It's. Not an attack, you maintain the war was started purely because of slavery and that is false.

When people point out inconsistencies with your statements you get upset instead of responding in a manner akin to a debate.

I gave some examples of big name folks in the confederacy that were not supporters of slavery and if you read memoirs from many they will say they fought to defend their home.

In that time period many people regarded the state as tge primary govt and felt the fed should be something distant and rarely felt.

Was slavery a part, certainly but it was not the end all be all of why the civil war started.

Try reading up on the Jefferson Davis papers from rice University. I grew up despising the man, till I found and began reading his speeches, and personal writings. (going off memory) he didn't want to leave the union, when the people voted to do so he gave a pretty good speech where he hoped the north and south would maintain strong peaceful relations.

He also did not want to be president of the South the people voted him in and he felt duty bound to follow the will of the people.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

originally posted by: 2wheelvet
a reply to: Rocker2013

Flying it would make me racist or a bigot? I thought I explained already, but here it goes again. The fact that a group of poeple can say they don't like a certain symbol and then have it outlawed is ridiculous in the United States. I mean, not even the swastika is 'outlawed.' If that doesn't represent hate than nothing does. So, the flag now represents to me the freedom that we are SUPPOSED to have, and the standing up that Americans are supposed to do against nonsense like this.

Flags can represent different things to different people. Example below. Are we going to ban that one too?

So, does flying to current American flag make someone racist? It obviously meant something else to those individuals in the pictures...

Flying the confederate flag is the same as putting on KKK robes and then saying your not a racist, because it has always been a racist symbol since it was made by the dixiecrats in 1948. In fact it was also adopted by the KKK after 1948 as one of thier flags, of which they have a few.

It was made to protest desegregation, so yeah its racist and has zero to do with the civil war at all.

The Second Confederate Flag was Solid White with The Flag That Everyone is Calling The Confederate Flag in a Small
Block in The Upper Left Hand Corner Of that White Flag.
I'm Pretty Sure That Flag was Made Before The Date You Specified.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Please as if people can't think or talk about more than one thing at a time…

If you would, please be concerned about the past or the future, anything but now.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I want to see the quote from HIM, not paraphrased. Never mind, I've already listened to it. Regardless what Holder said about ministers, a Hate Crime is one motivated by the victim's membership in a group, like race, religion, etc. If someone attacks a person because he's white, that is a hate crime.

Of the reported 3,407 single-bias hate crime offenses that were racially motivated, 66.4 were motivated by anti-black or African-American bias, and 21.4 percent stemmed from anti-white bias.
Law enforcement agencies identified 5,814 known offenders in the 5,928 bias-motivated incidents. Of these offenders, 52.4 percent were white and 24.3 percent were black or African-American.

FBI Hate Crime Statistics

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

originally posted by: Indigo5

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: Asktheanimals

I mean, really folks. This is how the progressive mind works.

Lord Beez...Am I the only one that remembers when you would contribute interesting and well thought opinions?

This is worthy of something a drunk would burp out at a bar.

Apologies.

What's the PC term for authoratative, draconian-progressive ideology again?

Oh yeah, liberal.

Call it what you like, but if the plan is to paint with big brushes and post in bumper stickers...then Donald Trump, Rush Limbaugh and Palin et al are your ideological sages.

I have an idea...let's pretend there is no difference between Beezer and Herman Cain!

Cuz every time the biggest idiot says the stupidest thing...

"I mean, really folks. This is how the conservative mind works."

Again...I remember a time I cared more about what you posted...

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: irishhaf

It's. Not an attack, you maintain the war was started purely because of slavery and that is false.

When people point out inconsistencies with your statements you get upset instead of responding in a manner akin to a debate.

I gave some examples of big name folks in the confederacy that were not supporters of slavery

BS

originally posted by: irishhaf

Lee freed his slaves that he inherited,before the emancipation .

Hmmm..

Here is a biographer of Lee who poured over all of Lee's private papers...

What were his views on slavery?

These papers are filled with information about slavery. This is not something you have to read between the lines; Lee really tells us how he feels. He saw slaves as property, that he owned them and their labor. Now you can say he wasn't worse than anyone; he was reflecting the values of the society that he lived in. I would say, he wasn't any better than anyone else, either.

It is shocking how he treated his father-in-law's slaves.

Lee's wife inherited 196 slaves upon her father's death in 1857. The will stated that the slaves were to be freed within five years, and at the same time large legacies—raised from selling property—should be given to the Lee children. But as the executor of the will, Lee decided that instead of freeing the slaves right away—as they expected—he could continue to own and work them for five years in an effort to make the estates profitable and not have to sell the property.

Lee was considered a hard taskmaster. He also started hiring slaves to other families, sending them away, and breaking up families that had been together on the estate for generations. The slaves resented him, were terrified they would never be freed, and they lost all respect for him. There were many runaways, and at one point several slaves jumped him, claiming they were as free as he. Lee ordered these men to be severely whipped. He also petitioned the court to extend their servitude, but the court ruled against him

www.usnews.com...

So Lee didn't so much free his slaves ..as much as the court ordered him to ...as his father-in-laws will demanded (where he got the slaves) but not until after he worked and beat them for years and broke up families...and fought to keep them indefinitely.

SAVE the BS...

edit on 13-7-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Come on folks think! I was taught until I went to College that the Civil War was fought for slavery too. Then I was taught something different and I have learned to read, study history, and think on my own two feet. If anyone thinks that around 665,000 men were killed to protect the well being of a minority then you need to book yourself in a hospital at once. I suppose we were far more decent people then. The Confederate flag represented the Southern States, not slavery. The South didn't need the North, they were trading with the rest of the world. In a similar way it compares to the war of independence: the North=Britain; The South=The Colonies; difference -- Britain won this time. It was all about economics........period. This is fact.a reply to: Asktheanimals

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

A true conservative wants the constitution to remain the same,hence conserving it.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Once again, The mental disease called liberalism is an emotional and irrational condition that is madness with no end. The American flag will be next, and that may be where the dog comes back and bites these lunatics where the sun don't shine. You can only push a people so far, so keep it up. Foolish mortals. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: SheopleNation

wow - and you think "liberalism" is irrational??!!

The irony meter just blew.....

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   

I have an idea...let's pretend there is no difference between Beezer and Herman Cain!

I like Cain.

Wouldn't that be a twist if there was no difference. . . (cue dramatic music)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   

The mental disease called liberalism

smfh

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
This is the type of propaganda the germans used in
the second world war to get the people behide any thing they do.
and it looks like Obama is doing the same thing
to get the people to do and accept any thig he does.

when do they start burning books?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul

wow - and you think "liberalism" is irrational??!!

The irony meter just blew.....

There are many forms of Liberalism Gaul, and yes the topic of this thread is the perfect example of just how delusional and irrational it can become. Proof of that is your failure to discuss the topic, and instead talk about what I think. ~$heopleNation
edit on 13-7-2015 by SheopleNation because: Too early to be rude to a poster who I respect

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Whats next on the menu? I'm ready for the next thing that offends everyone.

Had my fill of flag, still don't gaf.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Quite the contribution to the discussion, you should be proud. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Maybe you should read the thread, or click on my portrait and read my posts in thread. All the while managing not to call people with differing ideologies diseased. You should try that.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

LMAO! I didn't call anyone anything Kali so calm down, I have plenty of very close friends who are Liberal Democrats, but almost all of them are not delusional over-reactionaries, but a few are though. Doesn't mean you are, unless of course you will be defending them when they go for The American flag, which is next for sure.

What I did do was describe how deranged and extremist individual beliefs can easily overtake the voice of an ideology in a very short period of time. Think about it, is there a limit for you? ~$heopleNation

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

A true conservative wants the constitution to remain the same,hence conserving it.

Any sentence that begins with.."A true conservative".."A true liberal".."A true loyalaist"..."A true patriot"..."A true" whatever...is apt to be followed by BS and your post is no exception.

And no...the "Conserve" in "Conservative" does not reference the constitution.

I'll let you discover that history on your own. Hint, pre-segregation,...the southern democrats were the vast bulk of the conservative party...and what Americans call "Conservatism" now, other parts of the world call Liberalism or neoliberalism.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Any sentence that begins with.."A true conservative".."A true liberal".."A true loyalaist"..."A true patriot"..."A true" whatever...is apt to be followed by BS and your post is no exception.

And no...the "Conserve" in "Conservative" does not reference the constitution.

I'll let you discover that history on your own. Hint, pre-segregation,...the southern democrats were the vast bulk of the conservative party...and what Americans call "Conservatism" now, other parts of the world call Liberalism or neoliberalism.

NOPE you are wrong ill drop you the definition of it and the page its from. It does mean to preserve.

true meaning of conservative by the dictionary

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join