It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Let’s make the Confederate flag a hate crime" - College prof calls to criminalize display

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
Eric Holder...Attorney General of the United States, has stated that white people are not a protected class and therefore, anyone targeting white people by race are not committing a hate crime.

That's just not true. That's not what he said. And Eric Holder is not the Attorney General anymore.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
a reply to: rollanotherone
This IS America and you do have the right and freedom to buy and display whatever flag you dang well please.

That should read..."may have the right and freedom....." the Supreme Court could take that away at any time; they make their own rules as they go along. If the PC Elites direct that flying the flag is hate speech, and the court backs them up....its hate speech whether anyone likes it or not.

See, that's kinda where the PC Intellectual Elites have everyone at an extreme disadvantage in a culture war. They get to define the terms of and usage of the language. Its not a "conversation" its a dictate.

Interesting times. I hope to see this issue go "hot".

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ancient Champion
We need to make being a liberal a hate crime.
Im starting to feel the same way. I am a recovered Liberal and looking back at some of my viewpoints, I am sickened.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

a reply to: rollanotherone
This IS America and you do have the right and freedom to buy and display whatever flag you dang well please.
oh I know. You're preaching to the choir. That's one of the reasons I'm glad I was born in the United States of this here America.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Heres some information about the issue..medium.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Kali74

Right, everyone should embrace Confederate flags because some farmers were dragged into a war they didn't believe in. Let's embrace the flag of the people that started that war...

That is debatable.

For all we know it was a 'false flag' by the north.

Why is it that people today do not trust the past two administrations reasoning to go to war. But during the civil war everything is so 'cut and dry'.

Amazing point. Unfortunately it will be over quite a few people's heads. People see only what they want to see.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals
Those Who Ignore History are DOOMED to Repeat it.

Just Saying

I Read That Somewhere
LOL

P.S. I Think It Could Be Because of STUPIDITY
but I Wasn't there.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I don't know why some suggest this for the purpose of white guilt. I'm white, I don't feel guilty at all. But I do understand what has happened to some degree; civil war aside.

Look at the picture with no symbols attached, or emotional attachments. Take everything out of the picture that arouses a sense of pride or anger. Just see it for what it was and became.

If you can see it this way, without your own personal attachments or any symbology and labels; the picture is the same and tells a different story.
edit on 13-7-2015 by Daedal because: edit

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: irishhaf

You keep saying that I label the entire South racist. That's not what I believe and I've never come close to saying that. You don't like what I have to say so you invent things to attack me for. Stop.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
the Supreme Court could take that away at any time;

What rights have the Supreme Court taken away?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

From your article..

But displaying the Confederate flag anywhere is, at bottom, an act of hate. It should be recognized as such, and punished as a hate crime.

All Americans should recoil from the Confederate flag with the same horror we feel for the Nazi swastika.

OK...Well I am vehemently for removing the flag from flying above government grounds...Gov should not be endorsing divisive or potentially divisive or discriminatory views, and certainly not flying the same as a banner..

But I also vehemently for freedom of expression and speech..

This author seems ignorant in many different ways...

The Nazi swastika is often displayed in the USA, from posters, to tats, to yes, banners...none of which are or should be ever a "hate crime".

I am no fan of the KKK, but that is every citizens RIGHT...and once anyone loses that right, we all do.

Ditto with private citizens and the Confederate flag and any other flag!!

Making such free expression a crime would itself be an assault on the American way of life ..actually more dangerous than those first shots fired at Fort Sumner that began the civil war, because that right of free expression belongs to ALL of us.

Shame on the author for such ignorance and shame on Salon for finding it worth publishing.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

I mean, really folks. This is how the progressive mind works.

Lord Beez...Am I the only one that remembers when you would contribute interesting and well thought opinions?

This is worthy of something a drunk would burp out at a bar.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
The whole thing just sounds like another successful distraction debate. I wonder how long the media can drag it on for?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

originally posted by: beezzer

I mean, really folks. This is how the progressive mind works.

Lord Beez...Am I the only one that remembers when you would contribute interesting and well thought opinions?

This is worthy of something a drunk would burp out at a bar.

Apologies.

What's the PC term for authoratative, draconian-progressive ideology again?

Oh yeah, liberal.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Arm not tired yet?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I am not American but yes we did study American history in High School......I have never posted in any of the Flag threads till now and I only have one question. How did all this flap crap start? What is ground zero for removing the Confederate flag from all eyes?

My personal opinion is that this is wrong and is an attempt to erase history, but that is just my opinion only. Many thanks for answering my question and I highly doubt I will be back. Just reading the thread is enough for me.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   

But displaying the Confederate flag anywhere is, at bottom, an act of hate. It should be recognized as such, and punished as a hate crime.

How about the US flag? Behind it, more hate and discontent has been sent down range in modern times than ever was during antiquity.

Lets review the UN charter, but people can compare it to the nuremberg principles after the second world war, if you like…

Article 2, paragraph 4
All Members shall refrain in their international relations from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any state, or in any other manner inconsistent with the Purposes of the United Nations.

Wiki

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Iwinder

How did all this flap crap start? What is ground zero for removing the Confederate flag from all eyes?

Designed distraction to keep the focus off the current endless aggressive war waged by the US on other nations. A bend your mind to this and this only propaganda campaign.

Pretty successful, huh? We are concerned now about events a hundred plus years ago…

Sort of like global warming has us concerned about things in the far future.

Get it?

See through the veil.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Please as if people can't think or talk about more than one thing at a time...

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
Eric Holder...Attorney General of the United States, has stated that white people are not a protected class and therefore, anyone targeting white people by race are not committing a hate crime.

That's just not true. That's not what he said. And Eric Holder is not the Attorney General anymore.

He isn't the AG anymore, but when he was he absolutely did make that statement.
www.vdare.com...

Under questioning, Attorney Gen. Holder was surprisingly forthright in admitting that the hate bill is not intended to protect everyone, or even the majority. He said only historically oppressed minorities were to benefit. This means Jews, blacks, homosexuals, women, etc. Holder made it clear that if a white Christian male, including a serviceman or police officer, was the victim of a violent hate crime by any minority he would have to find redress from traditional law. He could not avail himself of the triple penalties and rapid government/justice system response given a protected minority.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join