It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Let’s make the Confederate flag a hate crime" - College prof calls to criminalize display

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Looking over this thread I see the divide and conquer strategy is still working very well. Guess what I think about the confederate and american flags - I don't. No energy given from me. I DO have an Alabama flag tattoo, though.

On topic: So some professor is fanning the PC flames getting everyone hot and bothered (pun intended). BTW I hate that KGB terminology of "politically correct". I swear I think people these days need to be mad at something. Why? I look at this flag crap and give myself the same two options I give myself in any situation - get pissed off or get peaced out. Dunno about y'all but I don't like the feeling of being pissed off. I choose peace.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

Perhaps we are a bit FED up with the selectivity of your idea of enforcement AGAINST ALL hate speech...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

I'm not rewriting history

Right, everyone should embrace Confederate flags because some farmers were dragged into a war they didn't believe in. Let's embrace the flag of the people that started that war...

it's people here who are trying to attribute everything bad under the sun to a single symbol.

Slavery, racism and white supremacy are the only things bad under the sun?

If you knew the history of the Civil War you understand the amount of destruction wreaked upon the South by Union armies - the farms, homes and cities burned to the ground, the crops and livestock stolen.

You assume I don't know the history of the Civil War. In truth it's that I don't know just convenient facts. Do you suppose it was only the North that did such things? Each side stole land, crops and livestock from their own people too, along with raping the women trying to hold down their homes.

I'm arguing that the symbolism it contains cannot be reduced to a single element or the war to a singular cause.

It's an irrefutable fact that the war was started to preserve the right to own slaves. Every battle fought, every home defended against invasion was because of a war started to to preserve slavery. What other symbolism can there be?

Call me racist all you like that isn't who I am.

I did no such thing.

IMO all this kerfluffle over the flag is simply a distraction from addressing the real problems in the Black community - namely unemployment, substance abuse and crime

Yet here you are reacting to one man's appeal to authority as if your life were in danger. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you did... it's important to shed light on possible subversion of a right. But so far it is just one man.

And those problems with the Black community? I think you meant to say problems with America.
edit on 7/13/2015 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Yeah these are the kinds of people teaching the youth of our country.

Higher learning, free thinking my ass.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: SouthernComfort

I DO have an Alabama flag tattoo, though.

That is one interesting flag...simple and easy.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h
a reply to: SouthernComfort

I DO have an Alabama flag tattoo, though.

That is one interesting flag...simple and easy.

It really puts the BAM! in Alabama.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

He cites substance abuse as a problem in the black community but doesn't realize the white community has the highest percentage of substance abusers within a race and are number 1 in purchasing power of drugs.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: christophoros

Along with the fact that every problem he wrote attributed to the black community is literally a universal problem.of races. But don't let facts get in the way of you looking down on another race.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Right, everyone should embrace Confederate flags because some farmers were dragged into a war they didn't believe in. Let's embrace the flag of the people that started that war...

That is debatable.

For all we know it was a 'false flag' by the north.

Why is it that people today do not trust the past two administrations reasoning to go to war. But during the civil war everything is so 'cut and dry'.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Oh hell let's make the display of the American flag a 'hate crime'.

I can guarandamnyeeya that the native Americans hate it, after what was done to their ancestors.

Oh yeah that is the AA's 'were' freed, and the South was waving it's battle flag.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

That is debatable.

For all we know it was a 'false flag' by the north.

Why is it that people today do not trust the past two administrations reasoning to go to war. But during the civil war everything is so 'cut and dry'.

Not really. For one there is PLENTY of contention among scholars about the Civil War. History is never "cut and dry" for two, false flags aren't as common as conspiracy theorists like to pretend they are. It's just safer to assume it wasn't a false flag and only say it was one if you can prove that it was.

We know for a FACT, that the election of Abrhama Lincoln directly caused SC and other states to secede from the Union because they feared that Lincoln was elected to end slavery. This is indisputable, no matter how much you want to cry "false flag". Face it, your southern forefathers fought a war over states' right to own slaves.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
This would appear to be another hate flag

Real Hate Flag

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Face it, your southern forefathers fought a war over states' right to own slaves.

That was priceless.

My forefathers fought on the Norths' 'side'.

So my family has been fighting the Democrat party ( which should be made a hate crime)

For a very,very,very long time.

Fighting the left runs long in my family.

edit on 13-7-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: christophoros

I read that reply as well. While harsh, there is a grain of truth to what he said. I simply was wondering who you were replying to in this thread, or if it was the thread as a whole.

I feel "racism" in the way we use the term today is more of a direct attack on a person for their, well, race. I suppose it is my opinion, and while what britguy said to his co-worker may have been insensitive, it still had truth to it. He wasn't calling him anything or berratting his skin color or ethnic origin. He simply pointed out that the evils of the past may have resulted in some good for the descendants of the slaves.

Slavery, as it happens, is not limited to one race enslaving another race. It was a convenient choice, and like most animals, humans are opportunists. They will do the least amount of work possible in order to achieve a goal, whether it is survival or profit from an abhorrent practice such as slavery. Both sides of my heritage (Scandinavian/Native American/Welsh) are guilty of participating in this practice at some point, just as they were victims of it at some point.

The institutional slavery of the 17th-19th centuries is quite a bit different. I recognize this and don't want to down play the inherent evils contained in this period. However, when stepping away from that specific situation and looking at the results, the descendants of those enslaved during that period are in a much better place as of today because their ancestors were removed from what became back waters of civilization. Given, their ancestors were enslaved and segregated by their color, which again, was an opportunistic decision and is inherently evil.

This is not a defense. This is not racism. It is simply recognizing the results of that particular brand of slavery.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

You are still taking the belifs and actions of a few and painting many people with the same brush pretty narrow minded.

Try hitting up libraries and reading the journals of confederate veterans. (if they are still available)

You will find an entire list of reasons why they fought that never made it into a history book.

Lee freed his slaves that he inherited,before the emancipation .

Jackson broke the law every Sunday spending the day teaching slaves how to read and write.

As mentioned in another thread, forrest a figured reviled in the history books was an employer of blacks post war and an advocate of their rights...

How does that mesh with your they are all racists view of the South?
edit on 13-7-2015 by irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Let's make science a hate crime. It attacks Christianity at every turn. Let's make Feminism a hate crime....don't tell me it's not, the evidence is all around and I personally have felt it's sting. The government let's them get away with hating men outright. Not only that, but helps them to destroy us by using divorce courts and one sided policies in favor of only women. Let's punish ALL hate crimes...not just the favored ones.
edit on 13-7-2015 by Illuminatitechnician because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: OrdoAdChao

Spearchuckers really? North Africa had one of the greatest civilizations that weren't what I would consider "spear chuckers". I know history and I know Moors held white slaves as well. The slavery is not the problem. The problem is that this man regarded a so called "race" who contributed vastly to everything from religion to ideals as just some "spear chuckers". I don't believe in races but people are very ignorant of our African origins and African history in general. This conception of tribes in mudhuts is but a small portion of complicated civilizations from the nubians to The great Moorish empire that conquered Spain. These were scientists,sea farers, and mathematicians. It's just insulting for people to think that if a black person wasn't in America he would just be a spear chucker there is no truth to this and if anyone believes that they are just ignorant of history.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: rollinondubs
Ironically I feel some people could be turning the flag into a symbol of freedom. I've found myself wanting to buy one lately not because of any love for the south or the confederacy, hatred for blacks, or even a love of the Dukes of Hazzard, but because dang it, this is America and I should have the right and freedom to buy and display whatever flag I dang well please.
better do it sooner than later. I have looked into getting a General Lee model and the prices and availability are telling.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam
happens when someone commits a "regular" crime for which the cause can be undeniably identified as hatred against some particular group

Sorry to have to correct you. Eric Holder...Attorney General of the United States, has stated that white people are not a protected class and therefore, anyone targeting white people by race are not committing a hate crime.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: rollanotherone
This IS America and you do have the right and freedom to buy and display whatever flag you dang well please.
edit on 7/13/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join