It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Let’s make the Confederate flag a hate crime" - College prof calls to criminalize display

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I think we should give this "professor" a stroke.

We should put confederate flags in churches that refuse to marry LGBT folks.

And honestly? If this is any indication of the intelligence level of "professors" today, then we have bigger issues to worry about. People like this guy are actually teaching at a college level.

I'd personally give more credibility to the "Professor" on Gilligan's Island before I'd even audit this idiot's course.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Britguy

So what your saying is you got madnwheb someone called you a racist when you said something extremely racist? Lol you literally told him if it wasn't for slavery he would be a spear chucking Hunter in Africa how exactly is that not racist?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Comments like that is why I can't take some of you serious. You say your all for equality and then they racist crap like that come on that's disgusting.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

I replied to that post. Refer to it for clarification if you need it.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

I am not defending racist anything. Your inability to understand nuance is entirely unsurprising, but is disappointing and tiresome. Please try harder.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Academia is a realm polluted by tradition. It is more important to fall in line and gain favor than it is to provide new and unique perspectives. By the time members of this tradition feel safe to express their ideas they have been indoctrinated into world which seeks only to protect itself. "Ivory Tower" and all that.
edit on 13-7-2015 by OrdoAdChao because: redundantly redundant

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Yes I hate orange fabric, it's gross. As if anyone couldn't infer that I was talking about symbols.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

If someone supports racism and racists couldnt they be seen as racists too?

I will NEVER defend racists, but I will defend FREEDOM. That means EVERYONE'S freedom! Even the freedom for a racist to be a racist.

Well I wont defend racists because thay dont deserve the freedoms they have. Does a racist terrorist have the right to do anything other than be sent to prison, nope not at all. Those who cheer on in support of mass murder and other like minded crimes are just as bad, and are the real problem. Racists are a problem, and racism is not ok nor will it ever be.

so if we decide that fundamentalist Christians are too much of a radical group and need to be rounded up and put in a camp, you are good with that too?

I have been thinking the same thing since He/She started in this thread.

That coming from someone considered a 'fundamentalist'.

Put this with the Westboro Baptist folks. I detest most things they say, and would enjoy punching most in the kisser, but also feel that if we restrict them from whatever they want to say, what group will be silenced next?

Hell, they are what I would consider to be a fundamentalist group, and they do have that "Baptist" tag along with their name. It wouldn't take too much of a stretch to link them to any other religious group. (providing you only had to prove your point to a small horde of idiots)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: christophoros

Who? Huh? Wha? Clarify, please?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

I'd personally give more credibility to the "Professor" on Gilligan's Island before I'd even audit this idiot's course.

He was able to keep one single set of batteries working for over 9 years. Don't EVER bad mouth the professor. Ever.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

If someone supports racism and racists couldnt they be seen as racists too?

I will NEVER defend racists, but I will defend FREEDOM. That means EVERYONE'S freedom! Even the freedom for a racist to be a racist.

Well I wont defend racists because thay dont deserve the freedoms they have. Does a racist terrorist have the right to do anything other than be sent to prison, nope not at all. Those who cheer on in support of mass murder and other like minded crimes are just as bad, and are the real problem. Racists are a problem, and racism is not ok nor will it ever be.

so if we decide that fundamentalist Christians are too much of a radical group and need to be rounded up and put in a camp, you are good with that too?

I have been thinking the same thing since He/She started in this thread.

That coming from someone considered a 'fundamentalist'.

Put this with the Westboro Baptist folks. I detest most things they say, and would enjoy punching most in the kisser, but also feel that if we restrict them from whatever they want to say, what group will be silenced next?

Hell, they are what I would consider to be a fundamentalist group, and they do have that "Baptist" tag along with their name. It wouldn't take too much of a stretch to link them to any other religious group. (providing you only had to prove your point to a small horde of idiots)

Exactly, I couldn't agree more.

Even with the punching in the face. But I don't believe they should be in jail for it, its a slippery slope.....

ETA: 3 new flag threads now, LoL.
edit on 7 13 2015 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
While we're at, lets make living in any territory gained through exploiting the American Indians a crime. Everybody will be deported to U.S. soil which was not gained through the exploitation of American Indians. Then all historical figures who had participated in slavery or the exploitation of Indians be removed from all statues, figures, currency, books and other documents.

Then a new Constitution will be drafted for the progressive republic of #tards.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Revisionist BS. They may not have owned slaves themselves but they very much supported the 'cause'. And what was that 'cause'? Check out the Declarations of Secession by the Confederate States, here. Every secessionist stumped on the North accepting blacks as equal (even though northerners didn't think so). That is how they drummed up support to secede and then to go to war.

It's okay though you don't have to change history to embrace that flag for whatever reason. You are American and can say the flag no longer means any of those things if you want to. Just stop trying to change history and stop demanding that the rest of us accept your definition well enough to let it fly on OUR buildings. Damn near every American back then thought Black people were lesser beings and therefor not entitled to the same rights as themselves, whether southern or northern. You don't have to change the morality of our ancestors in order to justify your own.

I'm not rewriting history, it's people here who are trying to attribute everything bad under the sun to a single symbol. Do we (the regular folks of the world) control what the rich people do? Do you think it was any different 150 years ago? It was the rich plantation owners that had everything at stake. The other 95% of Southern Whites who didn't own slaves fought for their own reasons.

If you knew the history of the Civil War you understand the amount of destruction wreaked upon the South by Union armies - the farms, homes and cities burned to the ground, the crops and livestock stolen. Some people wanted war as a lark thinking it would be a quick affair, others did indeed want to spread slavery to the new states being admitted but many still only fought because they felt they had no choice . If your home and town were in danger I think it's pretty understandable that you would try to defend it.

I wasn't arguing about flying the Confederate flag over public buildings. I'm arguing that the symbolism it contains cannot be reduced to a single element or the war to a singular cause. My definition of the flag doesn't matter - what it meant to those who fought under it is what does matter. To think we can ascertain the contents of their hearts and minds a century and a half later is an exercise in moral smugness. We like to think we're so much more advanced and moral than the generations who came before us so we sit here and judge people who lived in a very different world than the one we live in. You are the one judging others by extension to a symbol from long ago. Some here want to eliminate anything related to the Confederacy as if that would change anything about who we are today.

I spent many years protesting the kkk, even getting a death threat by phone. I even enjoyed rap music for the first 10 years of it's existence until the lyrics became centered on materialism, violence and misogyny. Call me racist all you like that isn't who I am. I happen to have Southern heritage and ancestors who I will not condemn nor will I judge them. It's entirely likely they never even read the Articles of Secession.

IMO all this kerfluffle over the flag is simply a distraction from addressing the real problems in the Black community - namely unemployment, substance abuse and crime. What has our current administration done to help African Americans? Nothing but exacerbate those same issues and instead focusing on racism by Whites and assigning the blame to them. Sadly, that's what I think this is all about.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

I'm sorry but posting a video where a black women says slavery was a choice is just..... Yeah slavery wasn't a choice I'm not even going to get into how ridiculous that sounds

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: OrdoAdChao

Someone named britguy said he got mad at a co-worker because he was the Malcolm X militant type. He got mad that his coworkers called him racist when he said if it wasn't for slavery that his black co-worker would be a spear chucking African who hunts his food. That is extremely racist and and very unfactual. Guys like those need to be chastised by you so called rightwingers. But no one cared they actually have him stars. This is the thing that scares racists mixing in with normal people defending the confederate and proving PCers right.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Thats what I gather from my observation on the behaviour change.

I have seen that some blacks in Chicago want to start their own chapter, but as far as them joining an already established group I doubt it, but if they are then maybe the there is something to the end of the world conspiracy...

If they are then what does that say about racism in itself...I didn't think a race hating their own race could be considered racist, but in this world nowadays I guess anything is possible.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

That was a satire piece.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Bravo my friend...Bravo.

Couldn't be said any better, as those of us in the south understand the meaning of the flag, and also the fact it represented a few different things and slavery is not at the top of the list.

Would have given you an applause, but I was beat to it.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I'm not rewriting history, it's people here who are trying to attribute everything bad under the sun to a single symbol. Do we (the regular folks of the world) control what the rich people do? Do you think it was any different 150 years ago? It was the rich plantation owners that had everything at stake. The other 95% of Southern Whites who didn't own slaves fought for their own reasons.

Here is an interesting read.

quantrillsguerrillas.com... please-note-as-a-matter-of-family-history-more-lincolns-fought-for-the-csa-than-the-usa-in-1861-65.html

Lincoln brought in to existence in what proved to be a successful attempt to prevent the loss of eleven Southern states and the 75% of the federal revenues paid by those states.

It was Lincoln who embraced-and profited from-Hamilton's 'American System', which today we call 'crony capitalism'.

The civil war was about money the north wanted to keep it's gravy train.

The civil war was the first, and last timethe right, and left's political ideology became a shooting war.

Much like today the people in the South who fought were poor.

Just like most of todays armed services come from poor backgrounds.

That has not changed one bit.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join