It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Let’s make the Confederate flag a hate crime" - College prof calls to criminalize display

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+46 more 
posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   
This belongs in Madness, there is no other suitable term for this. The United States is going off the deep end and we are being led to split this country in two over what happened a century and a half ago. I can scarcely believe Salon would print this inflammatory and dangerous piece.

Nick Bromell teaches American Studies at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst
He says:

The heritage these flags stand for was a bloody war initiated by the South. Those Southerners who fired the first shots to attack U.S. troops at Fort Sumter – just a mile or two from the church where Roof gunned down nine black worshippers – aimed not only to “defend” slavery, but to promote slavery’s spread across the nation, especially in the West. The defeat of the South was the defeat of the slavery system.

That defeat is still mourned by many sympathizers with the Confederate cause across the nation, who have somehow forgotten that the Lost Cause was the cause of slavery. To them, the Confederate flag is an innocent symbol, a symbol that honors the Confederate dead and preserves the memory of their gallantry and fighting spirit.

To black Americans, meanwhile, these flags send a clear, painful, and frightening message:You don’t belong here. By being here, you are in danger. This nation is not for you

Of course because of this we must make displaying the flag a criminal act, a crime of hatred? Last I checked emotions were still legal, regardless of what they might be. He argues:

But displaying the Confederate flag anywhere is, at bottom, an act of hate. It should be recognized as such, and punished as a hate crime.

This guy makes so many absolute generalizations and assumptions of the reasoning of others in addition to claiming to know how they feel. Does he seriously believe when people display the flag outside their home it's to tell black people they don't belong and that they are in danger/ ? Yet this is why it should be made a crime?

We are treading dangerous waters once we start criminalizing elements of speech, especially over something historically long since over and done. There's nothing left to argue or settle. It took damn near 100 years for the dust to settle. Now who is it that wants to start kicking up the dust again? He goes for ultimate non-comparison here:

All Americans should recoil from the Confederate flag with the same horror we feel for the Nazi swastika.

That, I feel confident, is what Frederick Douglass would think.

He knows what Frederick Douglass would think, amazing guy.

He also knows what I think and how I feel about the Confederate flag too even though none of my ancestors who fought for the South owned slaves. I wonder how they felt about the flag? Enough to risk dying for it I reckon. Who am I to judge them or hold them in contempt? They are my roots - the people I came from and I highly resent their being lumped in with a very small percentage (5%) of Southern Whites who did own slaves. They did not fight and die for the same causes the plantation owners did. It was their flag too and they paid the price for ever picking it up, the entire South did.

Do these writers forget that there were free Blacks in the South?
That some fought for the Confederacy?
That Blacks owned slaves too?

They are attempting to smear an entire generation of Americans over a European legacy of slavery that Europe themselves had only begun addressing around the turn of the 19th century. America was still a very young country on the frontiers of civilization. Slavery does not compare with intentionally rounding up people for extermination. I am getting really tired of people trying to take our history and wash it away. All this fuss also serves to link Whites with prejudice and racism which they like to claim is the source of all the woes of the minority communities.

Sorry, I just don't buy it anymore. Racism finally made it's exit by and large a couple generations back. Most race barriers had been broken down not long ago and suddenly there seems to be a rush to put them back up again. I find it very disappointing that so many lend it credence believing that racism is the prime motivator for so many.

Making this a hate crime is an Orwellian notion.
I'm just afraid we're going to hear more of this idea.

Recoil in horror from any flag?
Overboard with hyperbole much?

www.salon.com...[edi tby]edit on 13-7-2015 by Asktheanimals because: corrections

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Freedom of speech....

+21 more 
posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

And I'll bet this paragon of virtue said all this while wearing his "Made in China" clothing and regularly tweets and twirps on his "Made in China" e-gadgets, never realizing that he is indeed promoting and condoning slavery by buying those products.

If people are really concerned about slavery why are they still purchasing products made by slave labor in China? That's a country that still practices slavery by rounding up citizens and making them work in the "Enterprize Zones" for what amounts to $3/day, three bowls of rice and a mat on which to sleep. But NO! They have to drag up stuff that was over and done 150 years ago because giving up their slave-made gadgetry would be "just too hard."

edit on 12-7-2015 by diggindirt because: spelling and clarity

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
IIRC, the entire "hate crime" thing happens when someone commits a "regular" crime for which the cause can be undeniably identified as hatred against some particular group identifiable by some attribute such as race. The "regular" crime is then identified as a "hate crime" and thus gains some sentencing mulipliers.

You don't, in the US, get to define hate crime as something you hate. Or a political viewpoint you don't agree with. There has to be an actual crime committed in furtherance of some group prejudice.

There isn't a "standalone hate crime" as far as I know.

+13 more 
posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Lets make imposing personal opinions and trying to pass them as law a hate crime first.

Good or bad, it's part of US history and it is not definitively or unanimously decided by all citizens that it is a very naughty bad bad flag.

Personally, US of A, you are collectively acting like you're on bath-salts - it's not a good look.

Plus, and this is a personal opinion, it's a cool looking flag with great colours and symbols etc - and it's makes for a really nice bikini too!!!!

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I had ancestors on both sides of the civil war. The southern ones never owned slaves. The Union Jack of the confederates represented the fight to preserve their states right to self govern when the federal govt, set up for protection against foreign invasion only, over stepped their jurisdiction and wanted to govern where they had no right.

State sovereignty and self rule was precious to the southerners. When the south lost forever was the federal to rule ALL States supreme.

Look where that has led us too today?

edit on 12-7-2015 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-7-2015 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Ironically I feel some people could be turning the flag into a symbol of freedom. I've found myself wanting to buy one lately not because of any love for the south or the confederacy, hatred for blacks, or even a love of the Dukes of Hazzard, but because dang it, this is America and I should have the right and freedom to buy and display whatever flag I dang well please.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing. It's going beyond madness boarding on absurd. Lots of people were worried about this kind of thing happening since the other actions against the flag were apparently well supported. Looks like they weren't being paranoid in this case. Sadly, more to come, seeing some in the news already from bands being questioned about their flag merchandise and song lyrics, etc.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt

And I'll bet this paragon of virtue said all this while wearing his "Made in China" clothing and regularly tweets and twirps on his "Made in China" e-gadgets, never realizing that he is indeed promoting and condoning slavery by buying those products.

If people are really concerned about slavery why are they still purchasing products made by slave labor in China? That's a country that still practices slavery by rounding up citizens and making them work in the "Enterprize Zones" for what amounts to $3/day, three bowls of rice and a mat on which to sleep. But NO! They have to drag up stuff that was over and done 150 years ago because giving up their slave-made gadgetry would be "just too hard."

Promoted by the same politicians... who support the TPP-see new the lax policies on Malaysia for example.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Let’s make the Confederate flag a hate crime: College prof calls to criminalize display

Why yes lets whitewash for the pun real American history.

Gotta take all the insensitive stuff out of it. God forbid we actually offended anyone.

I agree with ya ASK.

Sheer madness.

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul
Freedom of speech....

It's freedom of speech to display the confederate flag.

Just like the Rainbow flag.

Hell the first amendment even covers the nazi flag if someone wanted to.

'Hate' crimes is idiotic because it has no end.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: rollinondubs
Good luck finding one to buy that isn't made in China.
A relative of mine traveled from Arizona last week to tour several Confederate sites, battlefields where his ggg-grandfather had fought. All their battle flags were sold out and he was told that they were under a three month back-order situation due to the kerfuffle.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Next thing somebody will invent a "transmitting thought recorder".

The results will be continuously collected and stored in databases.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Last thought here.

If someone hates the confederate flag so much hell just burn it like the American flag.

Easy peasy.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   
The Union Jack which is on the Australian flag conquered and waged war world wide and exterminated and subjegated the aboriginals in this country,in all countries bad history happens and there are reminders of these things but you cant outlaw these reminders that causes more problems than it solves.

Honestly banning old tv series because a car has this flag on the bonnet,getting rid of this flag from public spaces(such as war cemetaries) and all the other stupid stuff is just going to wake all those dormant Johhny Rebs up,your already getting churches burnt, its called backlash as all those south will rise again types will get oxygen from this as will neo-nazies,the far right etc.Let sleeping dogs lie heck all we associate that flag with in Australia 150 years after the fact is Nascar and fried chicken.

The offensive flags that shooter displayed were the old South African and Rhodesian flags they will always stand for racial evil .

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   
playing grand theft auto 5 last night (again) i spotted the confederate flag many times. are they going to change that too, i wonder?

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Thought transmission:
Looks like Zuckerberg is considering that with the future of FB combining Virtual Reality.

Facebook's founder says one day people will be able to send "full rich thoughts" to each other using technology.

"You'll just be able to think of something and your friends will immediately be able to experience it too if you'd like."

Source

One might suspect the thoughts would be recorded and possibly stored, as well, for comment likes and more.
edit on 12-7-2015 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   

And some openly wonder why so many Americans consider the nation's academia to be a joke worthy of spite and mockery... Despite all the letters following their names and all the honorary certificates on their office walls, too many American collegiate professors sure seem to be dumber than a box of cow flops.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz4
playing grand theft auto 5 last night (again) i spotted the confederate flag many times. are they going to change that too, i wonder?
SHHHHHH! Keep that on the downlow. And KID ROCK not a fan of you, but i got mad respect for you now!

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake

originally posted by: xuenchen

Thought transmission:
Looks like Zuckerberg is considering that with the future of FB combining Virtual Reality.

Facebook's founder says one day people will be able to send "full rich thoughts" to each other using technology.

"You'll just be able to think of something and your friends will immediately be able to experience it too if you'd like."

Source

One might suspect the thoughts would be recorded and possibly stored, as well, for comment likes and more.

Really? And right now in time we can't post animated gif's on FB?
edit on 7/13/15 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join