It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scott Walker attacks Professors and Unions in his new budget

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: NihilistSanta

College tuition is laughably high because most "higher education" is a scam to employ "teachers" and keep "school administrators" fat and happy at your expense.

If you want to "fix" the education in this country... Sh1tcan all the BS elective credits necessary for a "certified degree".

If you are going to be a nurse, you should take specific nursing classes and not a bunch of useless crap for credits in subjects that are either a joke or you will never use in your career. The whole purpose of these "classes" not related to your career are financial for THEIR benefit and not for your educational benefit.

Of course they are required to take useless classes so the "educational industrial complex" can fund itself. A useless degree is a freaking waste of money.

I still believe the Educational Industrial Complex is a Government supported jobs program for more Teachers with useless degrees that can't find a job to teach new idiots useless topics so they cannot find a job (except teaching of course).

How many "teachers" are employed to teach sh!t classes for college credits that have nothing to do with your chosen career are being employed currently? 75%?

I believe the accreditation and degree requirements should be re-engineered. Get rid of the fat and waste (those would be the useless teachers and administrators by the way.)
edit on 13-7-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Because good teachers are as valuable as gold.

Good teachers do not need tenure, only bad ones...

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Before you try the ad hominem, why don't you ask Scott Walker which programs (if any) he is against. I do not believe in political appointees not do I think the tenure system provides the best education. I also do not think the idea is to create a class of 'book burners' to replace professors.

Also, your understanding of US history as received from a US university is already pathetically disparate from what actually has taken place, why do you even try to prop up the failing state of US education?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I totally agree with Scott Walker. No one should have job security. It should depend on your ongoing performance and the needs of the business. It is your personal responsibility to manage your own career.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I can't blame Walker for what the voters did. He is a cancer.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Only good teachers make tenure. Do you have even the smallest clue how tenure works or why it's necessary?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: neo96

Because good teachers are as valuable as gold.

Tenure =/= good teacher necessarily.

If someone takes a state paycheck, they can't complain when the state puts criteria on that paycheck. As a taxpayer, I'm against tenure. We should be able to fire someone.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
a reply to: neo96

Even 1 small ounce of gold is more valuable than a teacher or college 'degree'.

Tell that to the doctors that save peoples lives or the people that taught those doctors. Walker is such a tool he should have snap on stamped on his forehead. You gotta admit the Koch brothers got their moneys worth with walker.

I highly doubt that the basket weaving and womyn's studies profs are creating life saving doctors.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22
Conservatives hate our University system, even though it's considered to be one of the greatest features of our nation. If Walker succeeds in this then maybe the other 30 Republican governors will follow suit. Pretty soon no one will know anything about history, so they won't question all the terrible, evil things that conservatives want to do to us and have always done throughout history.
What a wide sweeping statement, don't even know how to reply to such a hateful post. It's like saying all blacks are...... All gay people act like...... As usual this open, culturally diverse, tolerance brought to you by the left! Can't we all just get along, as long as it's the lefts way!

But that's not true. Conservatives do not hate education. They certainly support STEM and engineers tend to be conservative in politics. What conservatives have a problem with is how the University system has morphed into leftist indoctrination centers where indoctrination, not education, is the principle goal.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Wrong. College education is so expensive because it is being subsidized by the government with loans that can't be discharged in bankruptcy. This has drastically over increased the demand for college so because demand goes up, so does price. However, the government subsidy just increases ever more and thus college education prices increase ever more.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

Conservatives hate our University system, even though it's considered to be one of the greatest features of our nation. If Walker succeeds in this then maybe the other 30 Republican governors will follow suit. Pretty soon no one will know anything about history, so they won't question all the terrible, evil things that conservatives want to do to us and have always done throughout history.
What a wide sweeping statement, don't even know how to reply to such a hateful post. It's like saying all blacks are...... All gay people act like...... As usual this open, culturally diverse, tolerance brought to you by the left! Can't we all just get along, as long as it's the lefts way!

But that's not true. Conservatives do not hate education. They certainly support STEM and engineers tend to be conservative in politics. What conservatives have a problem with is how the University system has morphed into leftist indoctrination centers where indoctrination, not education, is the principle goal.

This is a bogeyman invented by the right. The only reason that Universities tend to have a lot of left leaning people is because the right has taken positions against higher learning. The right is the bastion of science denialism and history revisionism. If the right dropped such idiotic positions then maybe there would be more right leaning professors.

There is no indoctrination at universities. Just teaching of facts. It's just a shame that many on the right consider the truth to be leftist rhetoric.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

This is a bogeyman invented by the right. The only reason that Universities tend to have a lot of left leaning people is because the right has taken positions against higher learning. The right is the bastion of science denialism and history revisionism. If the right dropped such idiotic positions then maybe there would be more right leaning professors.

There is no indoctrination at universities. Just teaching of facts. It's just a shame that many on the right consider the truth to be leftist rhetoric.

Nonsense. Leftist revisionism and politics abound in academia. In the sciences and engineering tend to be politically right--it is the liberal arts (in the classic meaning of non-technological education) leftist revisionism and indoctrination abound.

The left does not teach "the truth" in academia.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Nonsense. Leftist revisionism and politics abound in academia. In the sciences and engineering tend to be politically right--it is the liberal arts (in the classic meaning of non-technological education) leftist revisionism and indoctrination abound.

Prove it. The sciences are just as tainted by the hand of anti-intellectualism stemming from the right as liberal degrees. Very few people on the left deny evolution, deny man made climate change, doubt vaccination science, believe in chemtrails, etc. Most of those conspiracy theories originate from the right or are maintained by the right.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Prove it. The sciences are just as tainted by the hand of anti-intellectualism stemming from the right as liberal degrees. Very few people on the left deny evolution, deny man made climate change, doubt vaccination science, believe in chemtrails, etc. Most of those conspiracy theories originate from the right or are maintained by the right.

Few people on the left believe in chem-trails or Conspiracies? Really? Have you been on ATS at all? LOL.

Apart from a few evangelicals, I doubt you can find a large percentage of people who actually deny evolutionism. As for AGW, the left has used it as such a cause celebre to wrest money and control away form people that it is hard to delineate between science and politics because for many on the left--it's all politics.

And the "pseudo-intellectualism" of the left has brought us such "African studies" that have taught kids that the Egyptians were blacks who had space travel and electricity that was stolen by the "white man" in the form of the Greeks--a University Course at the University of Michigan when I was there, I kid you not.

Those rocket scientists that put up the shuttle? They tend to be conservative. The engineers that maintain the fighters at the nearest base? Conservative. Chemists working for Dupont and Dow? Conservative.

People writing sonnets about their own vaginas? They tend to be liberals.
edit on 13-7-2015 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Few people on the left believe in chem-trails or Conspiracies? Really? Have you been on ATS at all? LOL.

That wasn't what I said. The left has its own share of silly conspiracies, but the good BULK of conspiracies originate from the right, because many have mixed that "the government is coming to get you!" shtick into the conspiracy.

Apart from a few evangelicals, I doubt you can find a large percentage of people who actually deny evolutionism. As for AGW, the left has used it as such a cause celebre to wrest money and control away form people that it is hard to delineate between science and politics because for many on the left--it's all politics.

Regardless of what climate change science is used for politically, that is no reason to deny the science behind the theory. That is the kind of anti-intellectualism that I'm talking about that originates from the right. The left uses an arm of science to further its aims and therefore the science must be flawed. Never mind that no one has actually checked the evidence behind the science to see if it is ACTUALLY flawed. The misuse by the left is evidence enough in the right's eyes.

You may be a little off on the percentage of the right that doesn't believe in evolution. You have mainstream candidates currently running for the Presidency that have expressed doubts in it. That is enough for me to see that it has definitely become a leading idea in the right. It may not be as big as some other issues, but it is no longer just a fringe belief either.

And the "pseudo-intellectualism" of the left has brought us such "African studies" that have taught kids that the Egyptians were blacks who had space travel and electricity that was stolen by the "white man" in the form of the Greeks--a University Course at the University of Michigan when I was there, I kid you not.

Oh yes, let's all mock goofy electives offered at various colleges like they are indicative of mainstream intellectual discourse...

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

That wasn't what I said. The left has its own share of silly conspiracies, but the good BULK of conspiracies originate from the right, because many have mixed that "the government is coming to get you!" shtick into the conspiracy.

Regardless of what climate change science is used for politically, that is no reason to deny the science behind the theory. That is the kind of anti-intellectualism that I'm talking about that originates from the right. The left uses an arm of science to further its aims and therefore the science must be flawed. Never mind that no one has actually checked the evidence behind the science to see if it is ACTUALLY flawed. The misuse by the left is evidence enough in the right's eyes.

You may be a little off on the percentage of the right that doesn't believe in evolution. You have mainstream candidates currently running for the Presidency that have expressed doubts in it. That is enough for me to see that it has definitely become a leading idea in the right. It may not be as big as some other issues, but it is no longer just a fringe belief either.

Oh yes, let's all mock goofy electives offered at various colleges like they are indicative of mainstream intellectual discourse...

It is those goofy classes that conservatives object to and the liberals cite as being us "anti-intellectual." That's a crock. The left holds up this pablum as being "intellectual" and then claims that the right is anti-intellectual when we point out that it's nonsensical crap.

Find me a conservatives that object to calculus and you might have something. Until then, all you have is claims that objecting to a course on speaking to your vagina is anti-intellectualism.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Nonsense. Look at all of the 9/11 was Bush's fault, war for oil, Halliburton mind control machines. It may sway depending on who is in office, but those huge reams of conspiracy theories since 9/11 at least have been from the left.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   

It is those goofy classes that conservatives object to and the liberals cite as being us "anti-intellectual." That's a crock. The left holds up this pablum as being "intellectual" and then claims that the right is anti-intellectual when we point out that it's nonsensical crap.

Those goofy electives are just electives though. You can't major in that course of study. It's just a class to fill your elective requirement. It's a class designed to expand your thinking a bit and consider different viewpoints. You know, what conspiracy theorists are always demanding of the public at large? The content might be silly or whatever, but again it isn't a major. It's just one class.

Find me a conservatives that object to calculus and you might have something. Until then, all you have is claims that objecting to a course on speaking to your vagina is anti-intellectualism.

This is a strawman. I didn't say that conservatives object to basic math like Calculus (yes Calc is rather basic, compared to some of the more theoretical maths). Heck, I didn't say they objected to math at ALL. Besides that, you still haven't offered up proof of your original claims about being leftist indoctrination centers.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Nonsense. Look at all of the 9/11 was Bush's fault, war for oil, Halliburton mind control machines. It may sway depending on who is in office, but those huge reams of conspiracy theories since 9/11 at least have been from the left.

The truther movement is currently maintained by crazies on the right, not the left. The left has moved on away from that conspiracy theory. At least that is what I've seen from its supporters on ATS. Feel free to produce a truther website produced by a progressive that proves me wrong though.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

What on earth has you and yours so convinced that tenured teachers can't be fired? Or unionized public employees which despite what some on here apparently think, are two different things.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join