It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magic should be a forum

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

That's a romantic definition I can get behind but usually magic is defined as the use of various means to obtain supernatural effects or to control events in nature.

Basically it's the word used by the mundane to hide his ignorance of the mechanisms governing causality.

I enjoy this subject but it's an umbrella term so it will never fit in a single forum.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Mikey mike on the microphone 10,000 mikes and were did u gon
a reply to: MystikMushroom

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: starswift

I was thinking more Channing Tatum...

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Actually it's the use of a mirror to achieve enlightenment or perceive through reality to a higher form in my estimation.
In correctly applied it becomes sorcery. Metaphysics is the common paradigm with science and religion.
a reply to: Orifiel

link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

I do not know about that it sounds a little fancifull but you never know.

Witchcraft historically had a lot to do with health and midwifery amongs other things.
the thing with "magic" or applied psychology is that its nature isnt absolute, just like everything else. its no more black and white than the populations who use it. maybe its fanciful, maybe its morbid, maybe its childish or maybe its ingenious. i suppose that all depends on the creativity and intent behind it.

link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Dude, paranormal means:

phenomena described in popular culture, folklore and other non-scientific bodies of knowledge, whose existence within these contexts is described to lie beyond normal experience or scientific explanation.[1][2][3][4]

Last I checked, magic would be something that lies outside scientific explanation.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I have heard the name but I would need to do my media research first .
a reply to: MystikMushroom

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Or the magic of a GIF looping cat on a slide...

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: starswift
Or the magic of a GIF looping cat on a slide...

well, i tried to be serious, but that isnt working i guess. cant blame me this time.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Dude, paranormal means:

phenomena described in popular culture, folklore and other non-scientific bodies of knowledge, whose existence within these contexts is described to lie beyond normal experience or scientific explanation.[1][2][3][4]

Last I checked, magic would be something that lies outside scientific explanation.
but is all magic paranormal?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

I was thinking more Channing Tatum...
....you HAD to go there with it.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
If all truths are but half truths...
The satanist would have fun with that one.
They never got much around to native belief systems in the America, in general, my belief.
Orifiel is a good name, kind of a concept that would fit in well to a "old Religions" discussion.
You sound like a heretical Jesuit.
a reply to: Orifiel

edit on 13-7-2015 by starswift because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-7-2015 by starswift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

Dude, paranormal means:

but is all magic paranormal?

The forum is called "Paranormal Studies", sounds like a great topic to "study" on that forum, no?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

You are confusing the tool and the use.

Magic can be used to achieve enlightenment, but magic isn't seeking enlightenment.

Magic is actually most often first approached to answer selfish and material needs.

Magic is just a tool like most sciences. Actually magic is the name we gave to the first bodies of science before we started to give them other names.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: starswift
If all truths are but half truths...
The satanist would have fun with that one.

It's actually one of the keys to the hermetic philosophy :-)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

What like religion then?

That has it's own forum. Two in fact.

Also Most people think of the paranormal in it's modern sense as opposed to it's dictionary definition.

If I want to start a thread on Jon Dee where does it go?

Ghosty forum, Philosophy and metaphysics?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Ok, let's put it this way. Do you think there are enough topics on "magic" to constitute a separate forum for it or do you think the various conversations that come up around it would be better suited to other forums because the topic is so infrequent?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I think it has the potential to merit it's own forum but then it's something that interests me.

If it has the potential to bring in new members and create an additional aspect to the site then yes.

I understand your point but theres already a lot of seperation in certain topics already, we have 2 forums for religion about 6 for politics 2 for sports, TV and film is split up ect.

An all encompassing "magic" forum would cover a lot of varying subjects not just hippy dippy crystal healers who think that they can prey to the lady of the east to find there one true love.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Ok, let's put it this way. Do you think there are enough topics on "magic" to constitute a separate forum for it or do you think the various conversations that come up around it would be better suited to other forums because the topic is so infrequent?

magic is a pretty frequent topic actually. look at all the remote viewing threads that pop up. or dreams and prophecies. or spirit communication. or distance healing. not that they ever really go anywhere but people are actively interested in this stuff on the forums.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

in my opinion, the metaphysics forum suffices in place of a magic forum.

that's my vote.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join