It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help! With Cat Bath

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: caladonea

Hi Caladonea. If your cat does not like water there is probably nothing much you can do to change his mind. My cat hated the water and baths were totally out of the question. He was an indoor cat and groomed himself multiple times a day so he really was never dirty per say.

What I was able to do which became a nightly routine and so help me if I neglected to give him his "bath". LOL he would sit on the rug I used and glare at me. But anyways what I would do is sit on the rug with him between my legs and start brushing him till he was totally into it. At this point I would just take a damp wash cloth and start wiping him down and alternating with the brushing which also helped remove the loose hairs. He loved it and now that he's gone I cherish the memories Of that evening ritual with him.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   

I'll definately have to send Beezzer's method to a groomer friend of mine.

For daily use try a Slicker Brush or Grooming Glove although the glove is kind of mediocre.

A lot of cats will put up with a bath if they have something to hold on to. At the vets office we had a 2x4 on the back of the wash tub and most of the time they would sink their front claws in that and allow themselves to be washed.

The really wild cats had to be tranquilized or partially sedated.

Your vet can give you a prescription to make bath time less traumatic.

I bathed my cats and dogs in the bathtub using a hand shower. I started all of them when they ere young so I didn't have too much of a problem. I had one of my father's on long sleeve heavy weight flannel shirts and leather gloves that helped cut down on scratches.

If you can afford it, a groomer is still the easiest option.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   
If he has kidney disease I would be very cautious about those wipes or anything that I put on him because the chemicals will remain in his fur and get into his body when he grooms himself. If his kidney function is impaired, those chemicals could overburden it.
For that reason I would go with Nightstar's sink method. Keeping a firm grip on the scruff of the neck is key. It is much easier if you have someone who will help since you'll be working with only one hand.
If he has stopped grooming himself, something is wrong. Have you had him to the vet to attempt to determine the source of the problem?
I ask because our little girl cat is recovering from an upper respiratory infection. Her only symptoms were an occasional cough/sneeze, lethargy (which could have been caused by the heat wave we were in) and lack of grooming. It was the lack of grooming that really tipped me off that she was really ill rather than just feeling the heat.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Please don't do it!

I have owned cats all my life. I don't think it will be good to put him through a stressful episode.

My suggestion:

First, brush him with this - Pet Zoom

It is a gentle brush, and cats love it.

---

Then take a small towel; wet it. Use some natural castille soap if you have, put a little on the towel. Soak again in warm to hot water, wring it good, then wipe your cat down. You can get down deep into the fur. Then take a dry towel and dry him back and forth till dry.

Good luck.

Also feed him good food like Mavericks.
edit on 13-7-2015 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
I do love cats. Our 2 have been a treat!

But this thread wouldn't be complete without this. . . .

Surprisingly enough, this doesn't always work. Some cats will just stand in the toilet bowl and do not self agitate.
A washing machine never fails to agitate them.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Thank you to everyone that responded! I appreciate it. Many were helpful...others chose humor...ATS friends you do not disappoint!

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   

So did kitty have some kind of bath yet?

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

So did kitty have some kind of bath yet?

Yes...Kitty has gotten a sponge bath...that he responds too with tolerance.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Wonderful! Good job!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join