It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The God of the Hairy Guys.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
An investigation into the cult of Sara or Shara, the God of the hairy guys, concerning the devastation wrought by his followers including the demise of the Sumerian city state system and the Middle East in general up to and including the present, all this despite hardly anyone ever having heard of him...

It's a long story and the place to start is with a long war that led to the demise of Sumeria, the conflict was over a border dispute between the city states of Umma and Lagash, this was styled as a conflict between the Deities of those states, Sara in the case of Umma and Ningirsu and Nanse in the case of Lagash, encroachment on their City boundaries of Girsu and Nigin/Nina.

I can't concentrate on the conflict here but this webpage does a great job of outlining the conflict with relevant texts from the Lagash archives.

The Sumerian hundred years war

Ur-luma, ruler of Umma,the levee of the boundary territory of Ningirsu and the levee of the boundary territory of Nanshe he removed with water.

To its steles he set fire, and he tore them out. He hired foreign countries, and over the levee of the boundary territory of Ningirsu he crossed.

In general there was continual invasion from Umma but they were always beaten back until the power of Lagash appears to have weakened and the province of Lagash was devastated, then Uruk and Ur also such that Lugal-zagesi King of Umma became sole ruler of Sumeria for a short period before Sargon of Akkad invaded and defeated him and claimed the land which had been weakened by the conflict and devastation, including all the Temple complexes which had been destroyed and looted by Lugal-zagesi in order to break the spirits of any opposition.

The devastation of Lugal-Zagesi

The question that arises then is what manner of Deity was this God Sara of the city of Umma that had engaged in continual conflict with Lagash represented by the Sumerian God of war Ningirsu, if one consults the scant later referances he appears to have been a hairdresser...

At the Šeg-kuršaga in Umma, Šara, in his own city, threw himself at her feet. He had sat in the dust and dressed himself in a filthy garment. The demons said to holy Inana: "Inana, proceed to your city, we will take him back."

Holy Inana answered the demons: "Šara is my singer, my manicurist and my hairdresser. How could I turn him over to you?

This has perplexed those who have tried to understand his cult as in earlier times he appears to have been a God of war, but in the Post-Akkadian period he appears reduced to being Inanna's hairstylist, but i think it's notable that Sara is considered a suitable candidate for the Demons to drag off into the underworld as the devastation wrought by his followers would have made him the peoples choice, it's likely his demotion to hairdresser was a form of ridicule.

He is also understood as a son of Inanna and Anu suggesting astral associations.

Your house E-mah whose prince is the princely son of the Mistress, continues in good fortune, an area of abundance and well-being.
The one who arranges the hair at the nape of the neck, with the gaze of a wild cow, who provides good things,the son who allots the divine powers to his mother,has erected a house in your precinct, O house Umma, and taken his seat upon your dais. the house of Šara in Umma.

Sara retains his association with the bow but perhaps these are the barbed witticisms of the beautician, it's these associations that have suggested to some that perhaps Sara was an early form of Eros or Cupid.

"Like Šara, Inana's beloved son, shoot forth with your barbed arrows like a sunbeam, shoot forth with reed-arrows like moonlight! May the barbed arrows be a horned viper to those they hit!

Inanna. the daughter of Suen ,arose before him like a bull in the Land, her brilliance, like that of holy Sara

However other dedications indicate that Sara had the same tools of trade as Ningirsu, those of the fully fledged war God;

Sara sat down on Enlil’s knees,and Enlil gave him what he had desired : he had mentioned the mace, the club, arrows and quiver, and the hoe

In the myth of the Anzu bird this is put to the test, Anu consults Sara as to whether he fancies taking on the Anzu bird, which he declines, whereas Ningirsu/Ninurta does so and triumphs, again i think this indicates the reducing of status of Sara as a war God compared with Ningirsu.

They called Shara, Ishtar´s son, He (Anu) proposed a solution, spoke to him,‘Powerful Shara, ferocious Shara, your attack cannot be deflected!

Strike Anzu with your weapon! Your name shall be great in the great gods´assembly,you shall have no rival among the gods your brothers“

Shara answered the speech, addressed his words to Anu his father,‘Father, who could rush off to the inaccessible mountain? Which of the gods your sons will be Anzu´s conqueror?’…”

A problem in understanding the cult of Sara has been that his name isn't Sumerian, there is indication in the signs that form his name he associated with the colour lime green, but that's it, and so it appears that he was from elsewhere.

The case i would make here is that Sara was cognate with the war God of the Horrites of the Trans-Jordan region of the same name and the one who Mount Seir was named after.

Mt. Seir seems to have been named after one Seir, who the land of the Horites - "the land of Seir" - was named after.

The area referred to as Mt. Seir in the Bible is called the Shara range today.

It’s in southern Jordan where the city of Petra is located. In Biblical times this was the land of Edom.

To confirm this it can be seen from Hebrew texts that Sara was directly associated with hair, this the reason that the Sumerians reduced him to the role of Inanna's hairdresser;

The root שׂער (s'r I) isn't used in the Bible and because it isn't used we also don't know what it may have meant. But in cognate languages it exists with the meaning of being hairy. And there are quite a few derivatives of this root extant from which to attempt to distill a common charge:

The masculine noun שׂער (se'ar) means hair in general (Genesis 25:25, Judges 16:22)

The feminine noun שׂערה (sa'ara) denotes a single hair (1 Samuel 14:45).

The origin of the name then Horrite and perhaps explaining why Semitic mercenaries aided the cause of Umma, the author of the article on the derivation of Seir concludes;

The masculine noun שׂער (sa'r) derived from the verb, meaning horror (Job 18:20 only).

The adjective שׂעיר (sa'ir) means hairy (Genesis 27:11 and v23 only)

These things considered, the name Seir must have instilled terror in the hearts of anyone who heard it. The Seirites were known as The Hairy Guys.

The name Seir in the Bible

edit on Kpm731192vAmerica/ChicagoSunday1231 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Whilst his cult was sort of handled in Sumeria that certainly wasn't the case in his heartland in the Trans-Jordan were his popularity remained becoming known as Dhu-Shares;

The Nabateans had two principal gods in their pantheon, and a whole range of djinns, personal gods and spirits similar to angels. These deities were Dhu Shara, or Duchares and al-Uzza. Duchares means Lord of Shera (Seir), a local mountain and thunder god who was worshipped at a rock high place as a block of stone frequently squared, in the form of a Ka'aba. Suidas in the tenth century AD described it as a 'cubic' black stone

In terms of the astral association which one finds evidence for in the Sumerian texts then Sara was in all probability representative of the star Sirius, known in Arabic as Al-Shira, it's probably also the case that in Mesopotamia under Akkadian influence Canis Major became the bow and arrow constellation based upon Sara, this led to association then of this with Ninurta and Inanna, but earlier Ninurta in his archer aspect had been more related to Pabilsag or Sagittarius.

The enduring popularity of Sara then is seen in the veneration of his sacred cubic stone and also that of the archer God as an early identification of Allah, this aspect from the Mount Seir region/Edom.

A stele is dedicated to Qos-allah 'Qos is Allah' or 'Qos the god', by Qosmilk (melech - king) is found at Petra (Glueck 516). Qos is identifiable with Kaush (Qaush) the God of the older Edomites.

There is continuing debate about the nature of Qos (qaus - bow) who has been identified both with a hunting bow (hunting god) and a rainbow (weather god) although the crescent above is also a bow.

Origins of Dhu Shara

Quite a long and difficult case to make then but in my opinion the long haired mystical warriors of the Islamic Umma (community) are pretty much following the same Deity and act in the same manner as those of Sara of the Sumerian city state Umma, which may indicate that the more things change the more they stay the same.

It can be considered that the star on the Islamic flag represents the star Sirius of Sara or Qos-Allah which i think is sort of the case albeit developed from an entirely different perspective as that motif dates back to the Dilmun period were Canis Major at the pinnacle of the celestial axis of Enki is represented by the spider Goddess Uttu and had association with medicinal plants and were Sirius was specifically represented by physician Goddesses such as Bau/Gula/Ninisin.

There is a seeming direct contradiction then in associating the star Sirius with a Goddess of birth and healing and a war God of killing and maiming though that contradiction or balance was also seen in Sumeria were Ninurta was the consort of Bau and a healer in the sense of directly eradicating the cause of any malaise rather than treating the symptoms and could also be associated with Sirius, though that may be derivative of Sara, what occurred in Sumeria then was directly a result of the city of a Semitic war God neighbouring that of the Sumerian, they fought continually.

It may have been the case then that the consort of Sara also had such healing associations, this was Ud-Sahara his feminine counterpart but little is known of her if anything i expect she had long hair though.

edit on Kpm731192vAmerica/ChicagoSunday1231 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Perhaps he was the god of strength? Samson got his famous strength from his hair.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kantzveldt
It can be considered that the star on the Islamic flag represents the star Sirius of Sara or Qos-Allah which i think is sort of the case albeit developed from an entirely different perspective as that motif dates back to the Dilmun period were Canis Major at the pinnacle of the celestial axis of Enki is represented by the spider Goddess Uttu and had association with medicinal plants and were Sirius was specifically represented by physician Goddesses such as Bau/Gula/Ninisin.

en.wikipedia.org...

The star and crescent symbol only became associated with Islam in the mid-20th century, following its use in the national flags of various successor states of the Ottoman Empire

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Very interesting information. I read a little about this a few years back, but it was only about a paragraph that I read.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:31 AM
link   
a reply to: 5leepingWarrior

I think there are quite a few examples of the association between long hair and strength that would trace back to the cult of Sara and the mystical warrior, but yes certainly Samson, and his nemesis was the hair cut.

a reply to: Marduk

It seems to have been the case that the usage of the star and crescent in the Near East could be traced back to Mesopotamian usage or the Trans-Jordan, it was the case that as an Islamic symbol they appear to have contented themselves with only the crescent until more recent times

The star and crescent appear, used in combination, in and around ancient Israel. It has been associated with the Moabites (14th or early 13th – 6th century BC), as the symbol or symbols appear on what are thought to be Moabite name seals

. 14th-century Muslim flags with an upward-pointing crescent in a monocolour field included the flags of Gabes, Tlemcen (Tilimsi), Damas and Lucania, Cairo, Mahdia, Tunis and Buda. Evidence of crescent use is also found in the 14th century blue ensign of Nubia/Dongola (documented by Angelino Dulcert in 1339) and yellow ensign of the Mamluks of Egypt.

a reply to: rickymouse

I don't think though anyone has ever suggested before that Sara of the city of Umma was that same Sara of Mount Seir, mainly because he's a very obscure Deity of Sumeria.
edit on Kam731193vAmerica/ChicagoMonday1331 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Kantzveldt
Didn't he pull down the temple after his trim?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Yes but time had passed and they (the Philistines] had somehow managed to overlook his hair growing long again.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Star and flag.

Bookmarking

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   

a reply to: 5leepingWarrior

It seems to have been the case that the usage of the star and crescent in the Near East could be traced back to Mesopotamian usage or the Trans-Jordan, it was the case that as an Islamic symbol they appear to have contented themselves with only the crescent until more recent times

I don't know, I just think claiming a connection is weak without evidence, its more of an assumption. If it had been something less ordinary, maybe, but a star is pretty common to all ancient cultures and its one of the commonest symbols to appear on a flag
commons.wikimedia.org...

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

The usage on flags is neither here nor there really as the symbolic motifs were common currency of the region, what's more interesting is that the iconography Qos-allah could easily be mistaken for similar dating as far back as the Dilmun period, what isn't commonly realized that as Qos relates to the bow that would have been an epitaph of Dhu-Shara, which it is generally known was the High God of the Nabateans and thus the association with Allah indicates that, simply stating Qos is the supreme Deity.

It's only through the Sumerian cult of Shara though that the archer God connection can be made because that is an otherwise unknown aspect of Dhu-Shara.

Horned stele with Qos-allah, Seal attributed to Edomite Qaush,

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   

The Nabateans had two principal gods in their pantheon, and a whole range of djinns, personal gods and spirits similar to angels. These deities were Dhu Shara, or Duchares and al-Uzza.

Do you know if al-Uzza is an alias for the fallen watcher Azazel ?

i am also interested to know if you have come across any pictures of tapestries that show the 5 ranks of the djinn classes with the Shaitan class in the center of the tapestry. Its like 5 non-overlapping circles spanning from top left to bottom right.

There might even be names of djinn's entwined across certain circles.
edit on 13-7-2015 by Tristran because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Tristran

It's my understanding that Al-Uzza represented the constellation Orion in the same manner Dhu-Shara represented Canis Major, so Astral Deities;

Betelgeuse comes from yad al-jauza (mistranslated originally as bat al jauza) meaning “the hand of the Central One,” referring to a mysterious and powerful female entity who kneels in the night sky with the Milky Way at her shoulder Rigel comes from the Arabic rijl al-jauza, meaning “the foot of the Central One.” Belatrix, another star in the constellation, means a fierce female warrior

In Judaic and Christian lore Uzza has been also used as an alternative name for the angel Metatron in the Sefer ha-heshek. More commonly he is referred to as either the seraphim Semyaza or as one of the three guardian angels of Egypt (Rahab, Mastema, and Duma) that harried the Jews during the Exodus. As Semyaza in legend he is the seraph tempted by Ishtahar into revealing the explicit name of God and was thus burned alive and hung head down between heaven and earth as the constellation Orion.

I can't say i've come across what you mention though with regards to the five ranks of the Djin.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   

It's my understanding that Al-Uzza represented the constellation Orion in the same manner Dhu-Shara represented Canis Major, so Astral Deities;

I can't say i've come across what you mention though with regards to the five ranks of the Djin.

Thanks for the effort. i will do some research and see if the tapestry exists.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

The usage on flags is neither here nor there really as the symbolic motifs were common currency of the region,

It is to do with flags, the only point of your almost perfect post I am objecting to is your claim of a possible link between Mesopotamia and the star on the Islamic flag

It can be considered that the star on the Islamic flag represents the star Sirius of Sara or Qos-Allah which i think is sort of the case albeit developed from an entirely different perspective as that motif dates back to the Dilmun period

Unless you have some evidence of transmission the idea is untenable. Stars have been used as symbols by pretty much every ancient culture, there is nothing significant about their use here that shouts "Dilmun"

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

My understanding of the Islamic crescent/star is related to Sagittarious and the hunter/archer.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

The Sumerians introduced the iconography into the Arabian peninsula seen on Dilmun seals;

There were many imitations and variations on this such that it became the common cultural legacy of the region which see's it's use reflected on the flags, there is little difference between the Dilmun seals and the Edomite Quash in terms of the basic iconography, i do think in both cases the star is also representing Sirius.

There has to be transmission because Quash/Shara had somehow found his way over to Umma and influence seems to have been both ways.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I am a hairy guy.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

An investigation into the cult of Sara or Shara, the God of the hairy guys, concerning the devastation wrought by his followers including the demise of the Sumerian city state system and the Middle East in general up to and including the present, all this despite hardly anyone ever having heard of him...

the hairy guys in your title caught my attention forgive me I may be way off track but from what I've read the Sasquatch have been known to be called the "ancient ones" and is said they have been on this earth before much longer than anyone They are ones that look more like humans taller and hairy and they have been here a long long time.
In fact they are spoke about in the "Epic of Gilgamesh"

He is described as a wild and hairy man. He lives within the forest, knows of all the animals, was raised and lives among them. He has no knowledge of human society or its structure. After some time of observing her son as king, Gilgamesh’s mother Ninsun grows tired of his behavior and wants to find someone who can challenge his strength. Ekindu is just such a creature. Taller than the average man and much stronger, the Epic notes he has had run-ins with trappers where he frees wildlife and destroys their traps. So Ninsun sends a whore to seduce Ekindu and teach him the ways of civilized man. After spending days with the whore, the animals of the forest now flee from him and Ekindu goes into civilized society. He and Gilgamesh become friends and have many adventures before Ekindu dies from the trappings of civilized man.
hairy men

According to the Sumerian tale of Gilgames, Inkidu is a vegetarian and a protector of forest animals, as well a wild man of great strength. Inkidu is also described as being covered in fur or shaggy hair from head to foot. According to mystics such as Malachi York (alias Space Dr. M.Z), Inkidu was apart of a group of hairy dual beings (spirit and flesh) that incarnated on Earth and were known as ‘The Shaggies’

the shaggies

Although I'm sure you know much of this I've heard that people whom have been habituated with the Sasquatch have heard and recorded them speaking unknown(at least to them) ancient languages...like I said I'm still learning and trying to put them in context of who and what these people are. they see to be mention in bits and pieces throughout history or maybe they are more in history than we know. but then again one would have to believe they exist now in order to believe they are in our history...I apologize if I'm off topic

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: TWILITE22

There are some who suggest the cave dwelling hairy Horrites of Mount Seir were Neanderthals but i'm not so sure, there were other warrior cults interested in the mystical powers of long hair such as the Spartans, given that Inanna makes Sara her hairdresser that was probably more the case, a bunch of preeners...

top topics

join