It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strawberry's...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Since you seem to be a berry man maybe instead of straw you should try dingle?

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Since you seem to be a berry man maybe instead of straw you should try dingle?

I'm glad I didn't see this when I was drinking something. My screen would have gotten a bath or I would've choked.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
It's the lack of nutrients in the soil. It leave our produce bland. You can grow your own but if the soil isn't healthy, the taste will still be lacking.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
That's easy throw your old bike into it.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
You are missing the strong aroma molecules like those found in ALPINE STRAWBERRIES (example). The problem is that the strawberries like this are either too small, too low yielding, highly perishable and ugly (poor stand appeal). There are very decent strawberries with high BRIX levels in the market from time to time. Unfortunately, flavor is more than the simple monochromatic notion of sugary sweetness. Suttle incongruent notes of sweet and sour that couples with classic powerful "scratch and sniff" strawberry aroma (via retro nasal olfaction) recreate the flavor magic you remember so fondly.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Store bought ones don't last worth a damn and I agree don't taste very well. Had better luck growing my own when it comes to making them last after picked and taste. Naturally flavored food with strawberries is more appealing than the commercially grown grocery store ones.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I have the same problem getting a decent apple. It seems like you can only get the crap apples that have been waxed and stored for 12-18 months. I would love better, fresh produce.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Yes the fake banana flavour used in every thing banana flavoured is still based on the old now gone banana.
I would have loved to try an oringinal.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Dingleberry never heard of them.
Maybe we call them something else.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
Dingleberry never heard of them.
Maybe we call them something else.

Perhaps, you Brits do seem to have some funny names for things. Either way, give them a try.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

I think it is the varieties they use that are different now. One local fruit farm has excellent strawberries sweet, aromatic and large, just as they have always been. Grown in soil/fields. But most of the supermarket varieties have very little flavour or aroma. A good variety is Cambridge Favourite if you are growing your own.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
I have always loved them since I was a child but in the last few years I have not had a good one.
It is not that I buy rubbish because I have bought them from farmers, markets and even grown my own but I don't know why but they just don't taste the same, no flavour red berry's of crap they are and I want the old ones back.
I thought it may be my age and taste buds but everything else tastes fine.

totally agree with you. The problem is all the force feeding so they can produce multiple yields instead of a slowly grown single one. The worst is the Spanish ones.

Although I haven't done this since my kids were kids! but we always found that the hand picked (by yourself) strawberries from the farms along the Clyde valley were always very sweet.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join