It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge mystery holes in my cotton skirt!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I don't even know if this is the right forum, but "Health and Wellness" was as close as it got.

A few weeks ago, I bought a batik cotton skirt (new, not second-hand or anything) and wore it the first time today at a pool party. Before my husband, son, and I left the house, I noticed a few small holes in the skirt, but since they were tiny, I didn't think much about it.

At some point at the party, I got up from my chair and someone said, "Oh my God, you have holes in your skirt!" I'm like, "Yeah, I've seen those, they're small, though," and that person went, "NO, they're HUGE holes, and they're in the back!"

So I turned the skirt around, and lo and behold, there were three humongous holes in the skirt, each about 4-5 inches big. It looked like something had eaten the skirt. I can't believe I left home like that -- I'm pretty sure I would have noticed.

Now, to make the whole thing even more mysterious, when I walked to my car to drive home after the party, there was blue and white powder (the colors of the skirt) everywhere on the car seat and a few tiny pieces of fabric in with the powder, so it's definitely the skirt that was literally (!) pulverized.

At home, I did some research: moths don't eat cotton, but silverfish do. However...
- I've only had the skirt a few weeks
- It was brand-new, not washed or worn before
- I haven't seen any silverfish anywhere in our house (I just recently thoroughly cleaned out my closet)

Plus, would they pulverize fabric like that? The fabric right around the holes is really weak; you can tear it off with no effort at all. It's crazy.

Anyone have a similar experience? Anyone who knows what this could be?

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Where did you purchase the skirt?

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Silverfish, they are prolific chompers, and if you know of them, you'll know they are hard enough to see.!

They are very attracted to piles of paperwork and books etc. Also look for signs under the bed of carpet chomping. Moth larvae though will also chomp anything pretty much. Moths don't eat anything.
edit on 12-7-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
?
edit on 12-7-2015 by smurfy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
?
edit on 12-7-2015 by smurfy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: sylvie

There are many types of insects that eat clothing. This website is a start in figuring out which ones and how to get rid of them:

laundry.about.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Does the label say 'Made In China?'

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Two questions ......

Is it weak all over could it be dry rotted?

Is there any chance any type of battery acid including laptop or cell phone might have leaked on your car seat ?
edit on 12-7-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Acidic farting?
edit on 12-7-2015 by YouPeople because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Can you post some pics of the two mystery holes in your skirt? We need to get to the bottom of this.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   

I guess you had a manifestation of an infestation...www.buzzle.com...

Webbing Clothes Moth (Tineola Bisselliella)
This is one of the most common bugs that eat clothes. These are winged insects but rarely do they fly. The usual size of the moth is about 1-2 inches. Its body and wings are light brown in color and the wings are spotless. In general, the lifespan of an adult webbing clothes moth is 60-90 days. They may survive longer (a few days more) if the weather condition is cold. They multiply at a very rapid pace. A female moth mates and lays eggs on the very same day. The eggs are laid in groups in between the threads or cracks of the clothing. These bugs do not like to get exposed to light and hide themselves in closed corners. They are found more in cotton and silk clothes and are less common in fur and woolen materials. Your clothes may get attacked by them at any time of the year but they become abundant in warm, summer climate.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

How can it be moths? Did they eat two 5 inch holes in her skirt while she was wearing it in the time that she was in the car?

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: YouPeople

Well I do not know for sure, but I do know there are insect larvae that are laid in the cloth and they are microscopic and maybe they just got hungry!

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I once had an awesome cotton jacket. Then after a week, it started getting holes on the front in a sort of square shape. I left it for a day came back and they were in inch sized holes, still square shaped. I was super bummed and puzzled, until I remembered that I had picked up a car battery that had fallen over sideways in the garage - it had leaked acid and just enough had transferred.

Any chance of acid type contact? Pool chemicals batteries etc?

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Well she's gone no reply. Maybe she fell asleep. If so I will chalk it up to seed pops . Lol

Edit;

I didn't mean to offend anybody. I now realize I should have taken into consideration. That the OP might have been transgender ? ( I highly doubt it but in my goal to hence forth and forward be political correct I feel obligated to reprimand myself )

So I apologize if you are a man and like to wear skirts. It was very insensitive of me and I regret the remark .

( you know I'm just playing don't you ?) peace

edit on 12-7-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Maybe it was as YouPeople surmised ... acidic farts.

Perhaps she has succumbed to a "Dutch Oven" type of silencing ! ??

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Battery acid or caustic soda crystals (powder) perhaps from a surface which the skirt was laid upon.

When in contact with moisture (perhaps perspiration) the crystals activated, eating holes in the cloth.

You are lucky it didn't cause a rash.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Timely
a reply to: Greathouse

Maybe it was as YouPeople surmised ... acidic farts.

Perhaps she has succumbed to a "Dutch Oven" type of silencing ! ??

I have a second thought. Possibly she forgot to rinse off the Nair hair remover ?

top topics

join