It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicken communication

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I was going to post something like this a few times but each time I either forgot or thought better of it. An incident happened today that reminded me of it.
I was outside with my dogs and heard one of the chickens cackling. It was answered by another hen across the yard. They kept at it back and forth for quite some time. The one nearest to me wasn't moving but the other was. It was one of those what the hell moments. I don't know if they were keeping track on where each other were or if it was gossip about food or whatever.
Anyway, it reminded me of something I read years ago. The subject was on chicken communication. In the article, the author said how scientists discovered that chickens have a language with specific calls related to mating, predators, and food-to name a few. I forget the site I saw it on or I'd link it. For that matter, I can't find a related video. Either I'm stupid today or the internet is. Sorry. I did, however, find others related to the subject that may be of interest.

Chickens have over 30 distinct vocalizations that communicate a wide range of information pertaining to territory, mating, nesting, distress, danger or fear, contentment and food discovery. (2)

A January, 2013, feature story in The Scientific American called The Startling Intelligence of the Common Chicken opens by explaining that the chicken β€œcan be deceptive and cunning, that it possesses communication skills on par with those of some primates and that it uses sophisticated signals to convey its intentions. When making decisions, the chicken takes into account its own prior experience and knowledge surrounding the situation. It can solve complex problems and empathizes with individuals that are in danger.”

Source
The woman in this video shows different sound that chickens make and explains their possible meanings.

This documentary is about, you guessed it, chickens. It should shed more light on the subject.

The following video is very informative. In it, you'll find out about all things chicken.

edit on 12-7-2015 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

We have chickens, I was raised around chickens and have a finely tuned ear to their talk. I know when an egg has been layed, when one has hatched, when one found an unexpected food source, when hawks are approching, etc.

It is amazing how they communicate in their little part of our part of this big world. I love it!

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

The call they were using was the egg laying one. The funny thing is that neither were laying eggs at the time.
I've seen the hawk warning call in action. The chickens get low to the ground and scatter when they hear it. Ducks and geese do the same thing. I saw them doing that at a park once. There was a pond with ducks and geese all around. A hawk flew over and the call went out from both ducks and geese. They gathered their chicks around them and got low to the ground.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Not only chickens but any group or family of birds and animals will banter with each other. I feed birds out back, a family group will land and feed. Theres fledglings, sentries and kin all chirping at once, but if you listen they are talking to each other, the sentry is making one constant sound, the all clear that changes when he spies trouble (and they all flit in an instant), the baby bird is crying for mama to feed it even though food is lying at its feet, the rest are chirp chirping I can only presume to say yes, all good, I'm here, theres food, Im full, I'm not.

Groups of crows arrive and start calling to others to-- come the bread is out. They call and cafaw until its gone.

Squirrels sing their alarm barks when a hawk is overhead.

Nesting birds call territory songs that fills the surrounding area, a walk with the dog reveals where they're nested by the sounds they make. I talk to them too, they change their tune or fall silent when you do that, I have no idea what I'm saying to them.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I've owned chickens my entire life and have definitely noticed the communication between them.

And I've got to say, even if you haven't owned chickens for long you learn pretty quickly when one has laid an egg! They start bragging to each other

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: charolais

Oh, yes. The sound of their bragging carries. They seem quite proud of it.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I always think when a chicken lays an egg they sound like this "chook chook chook chook" and then "big egg , big egg , big egg"! Listen next time I'm sure they say " big egg" as they brag about what they just laid. Well my dad's chickens do. Oh and indonesian chickens sound different from nz chickens. Happy laying ladies.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Watched a couple of the vids you posted and will return to see the others. Very educational and interesting!!!

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Cloudbuster

That's funny. It does sound like "big egg".

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Thanks. I think you'll like the last video. I really enjoyed it.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

They are bitching about the weather, the feed and the next door neighbor. They are also telling you to get of their back they will lay the damn eggs when they are good and ready. Oh, and for the record they prefer olive oil over crisco.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

"The Private Lives of Chickens" is funny, and interesting. The funny part is the subtitles that must have been done in China as they never follow the dialogue very closely or at all.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

I'll take note on what oil they like to swim in. Whatever makes them tastier.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

I didn't notice that about the subtitles. I had them off. That's funny. They're all weird compared to what's being said. Thanks for pointing that out.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Thanks, though with some experience already will help out when I have land again and some chickens. I'm participial to duck communication which varies with different duck families, with more experience in raising ducks and ducklings.
For the sake of cute but with some communication: A lil bit into the video the duckling is chirping, as a happy sound, while bathing here

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   

30 vocalizations eh.....i am betting all 30 of those are different ways of saying "leave my F###ing eggs alone you pricks

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   

One of my favorite moments in ranch life is that first outing a mama hen has with her baby
Chicks; her wings extended and slightly get curved to shield them from any perceived harm; her reassuring clucking and warning to others "don't mess with MY babies! πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
It's beautiful to watch.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

That was a cute little fluff ball. Fast, too.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I know what you mean. There are some chicks here. The hen is very protective of them. If anyone walks too close to their enclosure she sets up a warning cluck and watches.

top topics

join