It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Social Security, are you making ends meet living off of it

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:26 AM
My parents are currently trying to live off their SS alone. I help them out with food and pay some of their utilities. My mom has to try to supplement that income by working. She gets a whopping 15 hours a week at her job. She' also has a couple of associate degrees that she just finished, and cannot find anyone who will hire her, most likely because of her age. My dad has been looking for work for years, and no dice. It ridiculous that people that are almost 70 frigging years old still have to work. And after we all pay so damn much into SS, we got almost nothing in return.
edit on 7/13/2015 by Menrva because: Fat fingers on phone keyboard... 😊

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 02:54 AM

originally posted by: marsend
a reply to: ANNED

So what you are saying is that some slippery greedy scum stole your money in one way or another, while some other slippery official legislated to protect the thieves and profit in some fashion from the theft of your money. And now after all you have done in this life you get SFA, and nothing but stress and hardship, but hey that's ok. Is it!

Yes they were slippery greedy scum. but they were well known if you have heard of Karen Silkwood.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 03:13 AM
a reply to: ANNED

So after serving your country and making someone a bootfull of cash you end up in a 34ft trailer and struggle to survive...seems fair...not....

I guess then through certain peoples eyes you should have chosen a more profitable career,
its funny how people justify these things.....not

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 03:37 AM

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: marsend

I know I'm going to be hitting a hornets nest;

Since when was it the role and responsibility for government to secure retirement?

Retirement should be up to the individual.

This is social security not welfare.......You pay into it with a tax every single week. The amount of money I will pay in will not even come close to the amount I will receive later on. Unemployment is another none welfare benefit you pay into.

So to answer your question......Ya people deserve this money because they paid into it. It is basically a government run pension. And the size of the benefit reflects how much you paid in.
edit on 13-7-2015 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 03:39 AM
The whole system is a mess. Companies are chasing the profits, and forgetting that without the people, they have no company.

Government(s) have forgotten, that without the people, they have no purpose and will cease to exist.

Being on disability, the pay increase each year is laughable. There was a couple years (maybe only 1, I forget) where we didn't even get an increase.

What bakes my noodle is this:

Since 1975, Social Security's general benefit increases have been based on increases in the cost of living, as measured by the Consumer Price Index. We call such increases Cost-Of-Living Adjustments, or COLAs. We determined a 1.7-percent COLA on October 22, 2014. We will announce the next COLA in October 2015.

Social Security page

So cost of living for those on Disability is only increased BY 1.7 PERCENT of the total cost of living. It's disgusting.

Than again, no corporation, or such ever truly adjusts for Cost of living.

Cost of living explained

They get you coming, and going, and everywhere in between.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 05:35 AM

originally posted by: ANNED
I have been on a disablity pension for 10 years and will start on SS the first of next year.

I bought a 34 foot RV a few years ago to live in because apartments were so expensive where i live.
I pay only $300 a month for space rent at the RV park.

I am a service connected veteran and get all my medical done at the VA.

I also MAY have a company retirement bu do not know how much as the original company split into two companies and they dumped all the retirement liabilities on one company that then went bankrupt.
The other half of the company was a major oil company that merged with another company after dumping all there liabilities.

Can one collect SS and disability at the same time? I heard through the embassy here in Japan that it is possible to get 100% SS if you qualify for disability at the time of 62 age.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 05:59 AM

originally posted by: neo96
Social Security is a joke.

The average monthly stipend is around $1200 month.

That is below the national poverty line.

If people think once they get to 'retire' think again.

Your still going to have to work.

I think it is very safe to say that a lot of us, (myself included at age 42), will be working right up until the day we die or are forced out of the workforce.

Social Security is a joke. 25 years ago I watched my Grandmother try to make it. All she had was her Social Security, to make extra money she would babysit during the day for a lady who lived across the street. She didnt eat well, she tried to make every penny count and refused help from anyone. It was not a good time..... and back then gasoline was just 89 cents a gallon. I can not even imagine it being possible with prices on everything being so much more today.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>