It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Reasons Why You Should Never Have a Religion

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Well the OP only mentioned part of it. Murder of any kind, religious or not, is morally unacceptable. But the hypocrisy involved in any religion that claims to have a loving god and then turns around and kills in the name of that loving god is not a religion I would want to be a part of.

History is full of religious persecutions. All in the name of a fake god or just a moral doctrine that doesn't believe what you believe so you are killed for it.

Being a spiritual being and having a oneness with self is the only way to have a oneness with others. Religion does not promote oneness it instills separation from self and therefore separation from others.

I do not tell people their religion is bad, I tell them there is no need for it in order to achieve spiritual morality and all they really need is to accept themselves for who they are. There is an evolutionary process for every soul and along the way there are going to be lessons to learn that have value, religion is not necessary for those lessons.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Of course you disagree with all of it. That is actually the point of the OP. All religion does is create a separation of society where "your religion is wrong" mentality. Personally, I find no need to pray to a Fake God and pretend that I am better than others just because I follow a religious doctrine that is steeped in hypocrisy. But hey, knock yourself out if that pleases you.

LOL That's funny because instead, you seem to pretend that you're better than others (religious people) because you follow a non-religious doctrine. And when it turns out that your "points" are false & literally don't apply to most religions, you smugly ignore it.

Now, why don't you actually address the responses I made? I took the time to point out how wrong each of those points in your OP were. So why ignore them? I especially want to hear how #5 & #6 are supposedly true. How is religion a cause of killing animals, instead of people killing them for food, killing some for parts of their bodies (like ivory & fur), or killing some because they are "pests"? I've never heard of anyone calling Orkin to come kill mice in their house because of God. There are 1 billion Hindus who would disagree with this point as well.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: calstorm

One can not truly love another unless they can love oneself first. We can have empathy and compassion.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

Of course you disagree with all of it. That is actually the point of the OP. All religion does is create a separation of society where "your religion is wrong" mentality. Personally, I find no need to pray to a Fake God and pretend that I am better than others just because I follow a religious doctrine that is steeped in hypocrisy. But hey, knock yourself out if that pleases you.

LOL That's funny because instead, you seem to pretend that you're better than others (religious people) because you follow a non-religious doctrine. And when it turns out that your "points" are false & literally don't apply to most religions, you smugly ignore it.

Now, why don't you actually address the responses I made? I took the time to point out how wrong each of those points in your OP were. So why ignore them? I especially want to hear how #5 & #6 are supposedly true. How is religion a cause of killing animals, instead of people killing them for food, killing some for parts of their bodies (like ivory & fur), or killing some because they are "pests"? I've never heard of anyone calling Orkin to come kill mice in their house because of God. There are 1 billion Hindus who would disagree with this point as well.

These are not my points. I posted an article and did you bother to go read it first? I do not need to justify my beliefs to you and you are quite capable of making a mockery without my assistance. People who are religious are not capable of seeing another perspective without getting defensive and that is what you did. You want to believe go ahead knock yourself out.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

Not only did I read it but I even responded to the 10 points that you posted in the OP. You say I'm defensive but you made this thread specifically saying why we should never have a religion. I responded that the 10 reasons given weren't true and don't apply to most religions. You're the one avoiding my responses so it seems like you just want people to agree with your OP, whether the points in it are true or not.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Sorry what I should of said was im religious but non-specific because I take the good parts from each religion and try to unite it.

He is not my leader he is just in a position to make a difference . He has the wealth and power. That power will not fade if he suddenly became poor. This is what I mean by the good parts of other religions. Bhudhist preist and other religious followers are allowed no possessions, does that lessen the effect of their religion.
If the catholic church did not have churches would people stop praying and abandon their belief. Was there not a time churches were wooden huts designed to help travellers and never decorated in gold for people to come and worship. if the catholic church needed the money to exist it would never have got this far. Even their own messiah told them money is the root of all evil.
He did not instruct them to build a country and amass a large fortune.
Sorry im actually collecting for our local church roof,(it needs another again), can you see yourself to donating some money please. Our god loves you.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: chewi
Religion is not a road map its a general direction, we have to find our own path. For someone to hijack us and take us down another road adjacent to it us is a crime against god.

If your religious.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: chewi

I think we're having a misunderstanding. I thought you were giving the example of a powerful leader sending his followers to go do acts of good. Then he sells off his organization's possessions & gives the proceeds to the poor.

In that situation, I don't see what he would do next. Even Buddhist sects own the temples they live in, right? So what would they do if they sold off those temples, properties, and sanctuaries, along with their robes & food supplies, then gave the proceeds to the poor? There are some who are basically traveling monks, so they could all go that route. But wouldn't that basically be disbanding the sect?

I understand that religions don't need a specific building to exist. People can practice worship anywhere. So the sect may live in spirit that way. But I don't see how that powerful leader would keep that power in today's civilizations if he gave it all away. Even the Dalai Lamas have a temple and ruled over Tibet from the 1600s to the 1950s.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   
When I first saw your title. I thought this was a re-post of a thread I did in 2012, by the same name.
10 Reasons You Should Never Have a Religion

Obviously, it isn't. Whatever the case. My favorite line from your version is...

We are the ones we are waiting for.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Sorry if it seems like I disagree and am poor at explaining myself. I actually agree with your posts but don't be able to point what I mean.
The catholic church has riches, art treasures, INFORMATION, volunteers, fundraisers, believers. Lots and Lots of business interests and a whole stash of cash. It is the richest religion in the world and is just an example of religious leaders who talk a good god but have trouble living it. It has its own scientist and agenda, this agenda is not to unite the world and end poverty, or they would have done a lot more.
The followers of most religions don't even understand it. They might understand someone else's version of it but have no input or opinion because they aren't allowed.
I am talking billions and billions. Not sell everything but a couple of cathedrals and maybe some of the gold chalices or even donate some of the profits you made/make from the ethical and non profit organisations you run now and have in past.
I meant unethical profiteering companies sorry, my brainwashed catholic upbringing kicking in. They have spent a lot of money suppressing information and art to keep this cash flowing.
Make no mistake the wealth has not disappeared it has just been recalled to further another agenda.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

We are not gods.....

You got that wrong amongst other things......

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
All religions rule by fear of some degree or another. You are taught you are not good enough and of course your church leaders tell you this on a weekly bases. People give their power away to these leaders who are not any better or special than us. But people have a need to be told what to think or believe because they have been conditioned by years of being told they need it. As Mark Twain said people are only temporary seekers of truth. The is also another saying there is nothing new under the sun.
If you switch religions all you are doing is swapping one set of leaders for another or pyramid scheme. If all holy books were to disappear tomorrow what would you do and how would you cope? You are putting your self worth on to a book that man spent thousands of years without.
We are like cargo cults waiting for planes to return except their god is real.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: celticdog
Spot on we are looking to be institutionalised because that is how we are programmed from birth. If religion failed we would become workaholics or find another way of not making life decisions for ourselves.

Denial is a truly strong emotion.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Why does it have to be hippy dippy new age? Religion is fairly young compared to the spiritual essence that has existed for eternity. Religion is really the new age crap you speak of and is designed to control with fear. Why do you need religion for your moral compass to work?

God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. 17 This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus. 18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
1 John 4:16-18

There is no fear.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 03:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: chewi
Sorry if it seems like I disagree and am poor at explaining myself. I actually agree with your posts but don't be able to point what I mean.
The catholic church has riches, art treasures, INFORMATION, volunteers, fundraisers, believers. Lots and Lots of business interests and a whole stash of cash. It is the richest religion in the world and is just an example of religious leaders who talk a good god but have trouble living it. It has its own scientist and agenda, this agenda is not to unite the world and end poverty, or they would have done a lot more.
The followers of most religions don't even understand it. They might understand someone else's version of it but have no input or opinion because they aren't allowed.
I am talking billions and billions. Not sell everything but a couple of cathedrals and maybe some of the gold chalices or even donate some of the profits you made/make from the ethical and non profit organisations you run now and have in past.
I meant unethical profiteering companies sorry, my brainwashed catholic upbringing kicking in. They have spent a lot of money suppressing information and art to keep this cash flowing.
Make no mistake the wealth has not disappeared it has just been recalled to further another agenda.

Ok, I agree with you on that. I've actually had similar discussions with dad who's an Imam. I think they should spend more money on poor people instead of building/maintaining mosques. But he does a lot of the daily activities and notes that there simply isn't enough room to accommodate all the Muslims in the community. So they have to build new facilities & maintain the ones they have, which requires a lot of money.

I'm guessing the same happens with the Catholic Church. I can't imagine the amount of money they need to maintain enough facilities & services for 1 billion followers. So I think that's why it's hard for me to justify them selling off some of their possessions, even though I personally think that's a better path. I keep thinking about the Catholic universities and boarding schools, as well as their shelters and sanctuaries in poor countries.

And while it's true that the Catholic Church (particularly the Vatican) has a wealthy investment branch, I'm starting to think the profits from those investments are necessary to carry out the services the Church provides globally. I think I'm losing some of my idealism as I learn more about the behind-the-scenes functions of these organizations. I'm not justifying their excesses or scandals (and have spoken against the pedophilia atrocities in my real line of work). Just realizing that it's not as easy as kicking out a few snakes, giving away some money & everything will be ok.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Why does it have to be hippy dippy new age? Religion is fairly young compared to the spiritual essence that has existed for eternity. Religion is really the new age crap you speak of and is designed to control with fear. Why do you need religion for your moral compass to work?

God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. 17 This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus. 18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
1 John 4:16-18

There is no fear.

And yet...
Proverbs 9

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

Matthew 10

28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Luke 12

4 “And I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. 5 But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, fear Him!

Acts 10

34 Then Peter opened his mouth and said: “In truth I perceive that God shows no partiality. 35 But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him.

...there are many, many more throughout the old and new testament.
edit on 7/13/2015 by Klassified because: clarity

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Thank you for your reply but I don't think you understand my meaning. There is a minority of catholics in uk that frequent these building that are very expensive and numerous. a lot of them are connected to land, property and business. Do we really need all of them for the weddings and, funerals and christenings. Maybe if there was a lot less churches then the ones left would be busy with worshippers instead of doing business. I really don't think you realise the treasures the Vatican own. They persecuted most artist and writers throughout the ages yet posses a massive amount of art treasures and literary works.
They do not need the magnificent cathedrals and great churches.

Christian aid and other organisations are brilliant but they do not take all the money.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join