It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Reasons Why You Should Never Have a Religion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   
www.zengardner.com...

I have echoed these sentiments before in my own words but I wanted to share another perspective. I shortened this version a bit. I left the pertinent information intact and I, also, included a short video.

Many of us grew up in religious homes and have experienced churches, religious texts and the like. Yet I have seen repeatedly that as we develop our consciousness, many people outgrow their need for religion and become empowered by a universal experience of their own innate spiritual nature, rather than the need for an outside authority within religion. Here are 10 reasons you should never have a religion, courtesy of Infinite Waters:

1) The Middle Man- Religions always create a medium through with you must go to get to ‘god’ or to reach the truth.

2) Lack of Self Love- “Love thy neighbor” is a common teaching in religion, and not a fundamentally ‘bad’ one, but yet the emphasis is always on loving others, when in reality love for the self is the number one step to an experience of personal enlightenment and awareness.

3) Personal Responsibility- Responsibility could be explained as “responding to your ability”.

4) Separation- There seems to always be competition between religions with each one claiming not only to be ‘right’ but to be the ONLY right way.

5) Systematic Murder- Think of the crusades- one of the darkest and most disturbing occurrences in our collective history. Why must there always be murder in the name of religion? Because let’s be honest. Though it is said that religious murder is in the name of ‘god’ it is only in the name of one person’s opinion or person experience of god. Yet though religious texts affiliate ‘god’ with love, there is still always violence. This seems fundamentally incorrect.

6) Justification for Killing Animals- Whether or not you choose to eat meat on your path, we can probably all agree that the systemic ‘use’ of animals, the degradation of respect towards our brothers and sisters in the animal kingdom, and the defining of animals as commodities for our consumption is fundamentally disrespectful and implies a total lack of compassion.

7) The Divine Feminine- You will find that most mainstream religions essentially entirely omit the importance of the divine feminine. The depiction of ‘god’ is almost always male and the sexuality, power, and autonomy of women is subjugated and destroyed.

8) It’s Just a Story- The stories held by various religions are just that- stories.

9) The Waiting Game- Religions are constantly perpetuating the belief that we must wait for someone else to save us.

10) Transcending the Duality of Good and Evil- Religions promote and perpetuate the paradigm of duality, focusing extensively into the “good-bad “ perspective. This is a very dis-empowering and limiting perspective.

The basic idea here is that if religion works for you on your journey, more power to you. Yet many of the overarching structures and paradigms found within organized religions can be dis-empowering to the individual person, taking the power away from the self and giving it to someone else. It is time in our collective evolution to embrace our own knowing and God-self.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Sounds like some real hippy s# blended with new age philosophy...

No thanks.

My personal experience led me to where I am...
& none of those listed even fits my beliefs.

Maybe murder, because if someone tried to forcefully take away my beliefs...

Yeah.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   
JUST IN, A TRUE RELIGION COMES FROM THE PERSONS HEART.
And yes, I believe in it. Get stuck in prison with some real bubba's and you'll find out religion really does come from the heart.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

Sorry but I disagree with these. Everyone's entitled to their own path so I won't begrudge you for believing this though. However, I'll address each of the 10 because I'm bored.

1. Not true. I'm a Muslim strictly because of my personal relationships w/God & Shaytan. There's nothing a middle man can say or do to dispute or disprove what I saw or went through, much less to improve nor harm my standing with God. Islam is actually a personal journey.

2. Ironically, the entire point of "jihad" is to purify ourselves from any negativity before we try to change anyone else. So that refutes #2.

3. I don't even know what point that is trying to make. Though one of the core tenets of Islam is that we are only responsible for own own actions & inactions. And we will get our fair share on the Day of Judgment, for good or bad.

4. There's an entire revelation in the Qur'an called "Kafirun", meaning "the disbelievers". It's a very short revelation (the Qur'an is divided by revelations/Surahs instead of by chapters). In it, God explicitly tells us to tell disbelievers "unto you your beliefs & unto me mine". I fail to see how we're supposed to be competing with other religions when we're directly commanded to do this.

5. People kill for various reasons. People kill over jealousy, capitalism, communism, being disrespected, over bigotry, over nationalism, etc. To single out religion as a cause for systematic murder is ridiculous, especially considering the sheer number of wars & genocides in the last 100 years that had nothing to do with religion.

6. Huh? Religion is now used to justify killing animals? Tell that to the Hindus. I thought it was the hatred for "pests" like rats, snakes & moles; the desire for food, like fish, cattle & chickens; and the desire for animal parts, like elephant tusks, chinchilla furs, and snake skins.

7. Umm ok... I'm a little confused. This is making religion seem to be a bad thing. So why would you want to "taint" women by having them also associated with the supposed flaws in religions? Either way, the Ancient Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Chinese, and many other religions had pantheons which included females, as does modern Hinduism. Seems like someone needs to do a little more research...

8. Everything about the past is just a story. The difference is most people don't have a problem blindly accepting the stories of historians, even if they doubt the stories of a prophet. After all, how can you prove to me that Alexander the Great was real? He could've been the equivalent of Spider-Man to those cultures.

9. The whole point in Islam is that we have to save ourselves. I already answered this in #3. I believe Buddhism and/or Hinduism are the same way- that people's actions directly impact what happens in their next life/afterlife. Doesn't sound like we're waiting for anyone to come save us...

10. Why is this a bad thing?
edit on 12-7-2015 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   
agree with the title.....I'm a Jesus follower....I agree religion is victimizing

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Religion is a systematic form of control over our primal superstitions, period.

Compassion and empathy are key to the 'spell' being cast by the 'middle men' you mention. This is simply to subdue the wild nature that is bound to challenge authority or produce conflict. Compassion, empathy and kindness are extremely important values, but religion often leaves the door wide open and cleverly promotes apathy and altruism. Which leads to the willful abandonment and death of the self. The ultimate mindjob.
edit on 12-7-2015 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 03:25 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant
I cant be religious even though every instinct in my body cries there is a loving designer responsible for all of this. I want to believe but don't want to contribute to any religion that is not unified with all. I also believe the designer (if real), has given the power to stop world poverty in 1 statement.

Imagine if there was a person that controlled a large part of world finances, head of the largest army of people in the world from all nations, enough riches and resources to begin the destruction of poverty. He could mobilse his, (non violent) army to assist in areas they are needed. he could form the largest co-operative aid society in the wold. He could do this by renouncing wealth and actually selling his organisations assets. They are a very wealthy organisation with land and property all over the world.
The catholic church has enough cash and assets to reduce world poverty by a large percentage. These riches belong to the people of not just his church but all peoples of the world.

The last pope will be soon, but the twist is we all become enlightened so don't need one anymore and when we find god/designer is within then it the change the world.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 03:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree

1) The Middle Man- Religions always create a medium through with you must go to get to ‘god’ or to reach the truth.

Mine has no middle man.

2) Lack of Self Love- “Love thy neighbor” is a common teaching in religion, and not a fundamentally ‘bad’ one, but yet the emphasis is always on loving others, when in reality love for the self is the number one step to an experience of personal enlightenment and awareness.

Says who? Choose one. Love thyself, or love everyone including yourself. I will choose everyone.
Rom 13:9
“Love your neighbor as yourself.”

Rom 13:10
Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

3) Personal Responsibility- Responsibility could be explained as “responding to your ability”.

My religion has personal responsibility.

4) Separation- There seems to always be competition between religions with each one claiming not only to be ‘right’ but to be the ONLY right way.

Which is different than the competition of anti-religion saying they are the ONLY right way?

5) Systematic Murder- Think of the crusades- one of the darkest and most disturbing occurrences in our collective history. Why must there always be murder in the name of religion? Because let’s be honest. Though it is said that religious murder is in the name of ‘god’ it is only in the name of one person’s opinion or person experience of god. Yet though religious texts affiliate ‘god’ with love, there is still always violence. This seems fundamentally incorrect.

My religion had no Crusades. Atheists, Mao, Stalin, killed 100 million people. I think atheism wins.

6) Justification for Killing Animals- Whether or not you choose to eat meat on your path, we can probably all agree that the systemic ‘use’ of animals, the degradation of respect towards our brothers and sisters in the animal kingdom, and the defining of animals as commodities for our consumption is fundamentally disrespectful and implies a total lack of compassion.

My religion says the exact opposite, and commands me to be a good steward of ALL in the world, including animals.

7) The Divine Feminine- You will find that most mainstream religions essentially entirely omit the importance of the divine feminine. The depiction of ‘god’ is almost always male and the sexuality, power, and autonomy of women is subjugated and destroyed.

If there is no divine there is no divine feminine, you deny it as well.

8) It’s Just a Story- The stories held by various religions are just that- stories.

It's just an opinion. Why should it hold any weight?

9) The Waiting Game- Religions are constantly perpetuating the belief that we must wait for someone else to save us.

My religion teaches we are already saved.

10) Transcending the Duality of Good and Evil- Religions promote and perpetuate the paradigm of duality, focusing extensively into the “good-bad “ perspective. This is a very dis-empowering and limiting perspective.

Actually the exact opposite. How in the world do you think it's limiting? This is the stupidest of every stupid point.

Basically whoever made this has literally zero understanding of the religions they are bashing and zero understanding of human nature.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I don't completely agree with all of the points, but I do agree with the sentiment of the post. I would say loving others is loving yourself.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 04:08 AM
link   
On "systematic murder", point 5.

You mention the Crusades, but fail to mention that in the great scheme of things that was a side line and was only focussed on the Holy Land. Islam on the other hand was spread through conquest which was "systematic murder". Indeed, up until this day the only religion that seems to enacting "systematic murder" is Islam - at least "in the name of...". The article also fails to mention the brutal religions off South and Central America.

Anyhow... Most conflict in the last few hundred years has not been religiously motivated. Stalin, Mao, Hitler, Pol Pot, Mengistu Haile Mariam, were not pushing "God". Nor was the Armenian Genocide or the other genocides perpetrated by the Ottoman Empire; the Patagonian genocide; Biafria war; Rwanda genocide; Dzungar genocide; Circassian genocide; Ustasha genocide; the recent Maya genocide in Guatemala; the Kurdish genocide by Saddam; Nanking Massacre etc... Need I go on?

Blabbering on about religion being violent is just completely wrong. People are violent and (as shown above) they don't need religion to motivate them.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree Religion is a great comfort to many. Prayer has healing properties for the body and soul. I am Wiccan, so a lot of your points don't apply to me, but once a person has found faith in any religion, it is a fantastic thing.

I only find it wrong when someone goes to religious services week after week out of some odd sense of obligation, not because they really believe.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Don't be any religion - don't have any label.
Don't say 'I am this or I am that' - just know that you are.
What you are is life and life is just happening as this - it is never not this.

If you label yourself you have divided yourself from life.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
On "systematic murder", point 5.

You mention the Crusades, but fail to mention that in the great scheme of things that was a side line and was only focussed on the Holy Land. Islam on the other hand was spread through conquest which was "systematic murder". Indeed, up until this day the only religion that seems to enacting "systematic murder" is Islam - at least "in the name of...". The article also fails to mention the brutal religions off South and Central America.

Anyhow... Most conflict in the last few hundred years has not been religiously motivated. Stalin, Mao, Hitler, Pol Pot, Mengistu Haile Mariam, were not pushing "God". Nor was the Armenian Genocide or the other genocides perpetrated by the Ottoman Empire; the Patagonian genocide; Biafria war; Rwanda genocide; Dzungar genocide; Circassian genocide; Ustasha genocide; the recent Maya genocide in Guatemala; the Kurdish genocide by Saddam; Nanking Massacre etc... Need I go on?

Blabbering on about religion being violent is just completely wrong. People are violent and (as shown above) they don't need religion to motivate them.

On one hand you say people are violent, not religions. On the other, you say the crusades were a 'sideline' not 'systemic murder' like Islam. You pitted two religions against eachother that are equally as guilty. Your post contradicts itself.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Relationship, not religion. That is what people should strive for.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 05:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
agree with the title.....I'm a Jesus follower....I agree religion is victimizing

The basic idea here is that if religion works for you on your journey, more power to you. Yet many of the overarching structures and paradigms found within organized religions can be dis-empowering to the individual person, taking the power away from the self and giving it to someone else. It is time in our collective evolution to embrace our own knowing and God-self.

From the original OP.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Why does it have to be hippy dippy new age? Religion is fairly young compared to the spiritual essence that has existed for eternity. Religion is really the new age crap you speak of and is designed to control with fear. Why do you need religion for your moral compass to work?

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Of course you disagree with all of it. That is actually the point of the OP. All religion does is create a separation of society where "your religion is wrong" mentality. Personally, I find no need to pray to a Fake God and pretend that I am better than others just because I follow a religious doctrine that is steeped in hypocrisy. But hey, knock yourself out if that pleases you.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   
A simple flexing of one's intellectual fibres will usually lead someone to the conclusion that religion is nothing but bull crap.

Having said that, I have no problem with people believing what they want, just as long they aren't hurting anyone or trying to shove their beliefs down my throat.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Any religion that has a priest, rabbi, shaman, etc. has a middle man telling you how to reach your fictitious god. I do not care what your religion says it is all wrong. Basically all you have done is make my point for me. Dig your heels in a little harder there.

Until the world begins a collective reasoning that all religion does is separate then we will continue down the path to destruction. True love of self is the first step and not pandering to the mindset of 20 religions is the 2nd.

Opinions are what separate truth from fiction. Perception is clouded by environment and societal restrictions. To be truly free one must be able to love self without interference. Religion is the ultimate interference.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: chewi
I cant be religious even though every instinct in my body cries there is a loving designer responsible for all of this. I want to believe but don't want to contribute to any religion that is not unified with all. I also believe the designer (if real), has given the power to stop world poverty in 1 statement.

Imagine if there was a person that controlled a large part of world finances, head of the largest army of people in the world from all nations, enough riches and resources to begin the destruction of poverty. He could mobilse his, (non violent) army to assist in areas they are needed. he could form the largest co-operative aid society in the wold. He could do this by renouncing wealth and actually selling his organisations assets. They are a very wealthy organisation with land and property all over the world.
The catholic church has enough cash and assets to reduce world poverty by a large percentage. These riches belong to the people of not just his church but all peoples of the world.

The last pope will be soon, but the twist is we all become enlightened so don't need one anymore and when we find god/designer is within then it the change the world.

To be honest, you can believe in something without being "religious". There's nothing that says you have to believe 100% of what any specific denomination or faction thinks, either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be so many differing denominations in the first place. Just try to improve your standing with the Designer or Creator that resonates w/you & go from there.

For example, I'm non-denominational. I know who my Creator is & who my chief Adversary is. I don't care for the dogma or traditions of different denominations because they have nothing to do with my reasons for submitting to my Creator. I don't care if other believers accept or reject me either, because none of them can damage my standing with God & none of them can improve my standing with Him either. My approach may be a bit too blunt but oh well.

I'm a bit curious about your example of a leader, though. If the Pope, for example, sold off all of the Catholic Church's possessions & gave that wealth to the poor, how would he have any power left? I say that because there could have been hundreds or thousands of leaders of small kingdoms or domains who already did that very thing. But what happens the next day? They no longer have an organization and no longer have the wealth or power to help people anymore.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join