It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Base Hopping 2015

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Again, sorry for the non-tech translation...........

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: BobbyRock

Interesting! I think ATO is referring to an automatic top off system.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Well you're the plane "geek", not me, so you may be right.....

also
the photo above the one I just re-posted, in your original "stack" reads "OIL REFILL GEARBOX"

The last photo in the stack has something to do with "Pressure Refilling", but I can't read all of the text, hope the bigger pic's will clear up the view.............
edit on 7172015 by BobbyRock because: (no reason given)

edit on 7172015 by BobbyRock because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

I've got a lot of time on this reload so I'll be able to stop and get online and post them.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Take your time, I'm in no hurry............

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Pretty close but "urluftn. - ventil" would be a bleed valve. Anyway, very nice job on the translation and thumbs up for a cool thread!

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

What, I'd really like to know, is what genius designed the plane, and thought this was a good idea:

That six prong plug, with the three prong plug next to it is for external power. It's a large plug, as you can see from the pin placement/size. It's also a long, six cable, copper lined cord that goes to it, and is heavy as hell. I can't tell you how many times I either fell on my butt, or almost fell dragging it, or had it just say "no", and not be able to move it anymore.

And on this thing, you have to drag it to the aircraft, and then lift it straight up in the air, going around the two strut supports.

Thank god I worked KC-135s. The plug was about shoulder hight on he side of the airframe.
edit on 17-7-2015 by Pyle because: Derped the Quote

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

Yeah, the -135 was simple to plug in, especially compared to this thing. My jaw dropped when I saw that plug there.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: tomra

Thanks, and come to think of it - you're right, but as I said I don't know much about airplanes and their parts so I offered a non-tech translation

edit on 7182015 by BobbyRock because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

I've got a lot of time on this reload so I'll be able to stop and get online and post them.

I'm just going to quote this as a lesson on when to shut the hell up. Heh.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   

What, I'd really like to know, is what genius designed the plane, and thought this was a good idea:

I just stumbled on this info: The designer was Erik Bratt at SAAB.
read more..............

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 07:06 AM
link   

a reply to: StratosFear

Now why would someone want to have several two seat aircraft, registered as chase planes, kept in areas that are known to have test aircraft flying around?

To use them as chase planes of course, but that's the part that is confusing. Why use F-100s when the T-38 or F-16 are normally used as chase aircraft? Unless there is something about those two particular aircraft that makes them a better choice. Other than the little bit I dug up I do remember one of those aircraft used to be a target tug for aerial gunnery.

Only thing I can think of would be to use the Huns as maybe cover for a test flight, make it look like a pair of Super Sabres but conveniently leave out the ID of the "other" aircraft. IIRC those where shot near Tonapah right?

originally posted by: TheGoondockSaint

originally posted by: StratosFear
Oh man LUCKY, Im still waiting to see the F-22 in person and you guys get to see the F-35 already.

Nice F-101 catch, not to many of those anymore.

Come to EAA Air Venture in Oshkosh, WI at the end of this month. I've been going for years and I believe two F-35s will be performing. If you like airplanes I believe this is one of the best shows in the world.

I`d love to go but Im far to south to make it, but of all the airshows besides Farnborough, that one is the cannot miss show. I may make it next year, I`d love to get into an ATS group to go, it might be a better time than going solo.

That's a cool site Ive never seen before, well worth the read. Especially the JAS 37 section.
edit on 20-7-2015 by StratosFear because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: StratosFear

The F-100's were sitting a Mojave airfield about 20 min drive North of Palmdale. I imagine they use those since most test articles coming out of Palm just need sub-sonic two seat jet that can maneuver well enough around the test article to get the footage/data they need. And BigSky happen to have jets that fit the bill.
They could use company owned chase jets but these jets that BigSky use are harder to flight track and easier to hide who they are flying chase for and on what dates. Also easier to hide the money since they are a independent third party.

Another interesting tidbit about BigSky's jets is that they have 4 of them. Two down near Palm, which makes sense for chase of test articles coming out of Palm. The other two are in Belgrade, a relatively sparsely populated area in Montana.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Ahhh I see, now that is mighty interesting on all points there, more research for me I have. One of my life goals is to migrae to the west coast and spend time assisting any sort of warbird foundation I can get my foot in the door, even if its just volunteer work, BigSky is going to be the first one I contact now. Its cool there are still some old century series still turning and burning around out there.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I just read that the F-15 crash in Virginia last year, the pilot was incapacitated before the impact. This was posted on Fox News website.
edit on 21-7-2015 by buddah6 because: lobotomized through superior pain meds.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

I gonna do a write up later. I have a copy of the report. There's more to the story.
edit on 7/21/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Thanks!

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Anyone notice the right wing?

AN-2

Skyjacker

Rocket Ridge

Ex-USAir

new topics