It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can homosexuals marry in the military

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I remember that they were chased out at the time of my service. Although I was open minded, I still didn't want to be a room mate with one that was rumored to be homosexual/[snipped], mainly because of the sigma of having a homosexual/[snipped] for a barrack room mate.

Anyone here in the military now and what are the feelings of today's soldiers?
edit on Sat Jul 11 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: *** ALL MEMBERS *** Ending Rudeness, Hate, Bigotry: Getting Back to Basics

edit on Sun Jul 12 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
yes they can it is a constitutional right and the military will have to honor their right. However they can still refuse to marry hetero couples because they don't have a constitutional right to marriage protection.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Although I was open minded, I still didn't want to be a room mate with one that was rumored to be homosexual/[snipped], mainly because of the sigma of having a homosexual/[snipped] for a barrack room mate.

Well, I'd say you're not open minded and easily influenced by the current paradigm. But then again, so are most, so you are in good company.

edit on Sun Jul 12 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Yes, and rightly so. I hope you can understand. Your brothers and sisters in arms who have found love with people who happen to share their gender are just the same as you, and defend our country as fiercely as any other soldiers.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
However they can still refuse to marry hetero couples because they don't have a constitutional right to marriage protection.

Erm... What?

Source please.

Or is that the latest right wing narrative conveying the after affects of the gay agenda?
edit on 11-7-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: gwynnhwyfar

Might even be better to allow married gay couples to fight together. The Greeks found it successful with The Sacred Band of Thebes

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Pretty sure gays were able to get married when Don't Ask Don't Tell was repealed, if they got married in a state that allowed it.

Their spouse getting benefits was a different story.

As far as a chaplain refusing to marry a hetero couple, I haven't heard of that happening in a long, long time.

I don't know how it was in other branches, but in the Marine Corps you used to not be able to get married until you were a corporal or sergeant, I don't remember which.

ETA for clarity - a chaplain can "counsel" a couple seeking to get married about whether the chaplain believes they're ready for marriage or not (finances, love versus lust, etc) but I haven't heard of anybody actually being refused in quite a while. Might've happened, but I don't know.
edit on 11-7-2015 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
When I first read your OP, I did not understand that you were showing support and asking for how current service members are feeling. Knee jerk reaction, my bad.

When did you serve? From what you said in your OP, it sounds like you felt tolerant but society at the time prevented you from being comfortable with openly showing your position. As an Air Force brat, I can understand. The culture in the services forced many people to toe the line and "act as if" they agreed with the accepted practices of the time, and probably still does. I don't comdemn you at all - I know how it is in that culture.

ETA: Please understand, OP, that the word "queer" is generally considered to be rude and unacceptable, these days.

edit on 11-0720157-1515 by gwynnhwyfar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I'm sure they can since it's been legalized.I Shrug,gay marriage doesn't bother Me..
edit on 11-7-2015 by greydaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog
Greek Army Motto:

"Never leave your buddy's' behind"

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Why don't you research things before you sound ignorant...

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   

I am not in the military, but my husband is. From what he has told me, it has become much more accepted than when Don't Ask was first repealed. I work part time at a restaurant where all the young Marines frequent, and I have seen several who were quite likely a 'couple', and they didn't appear to be shunned by their peers at all.

I also know someone personally who is active duty and married her partner. Her partner has all the benefits available to her that a hetero spouse would, and the active duty woman has never mentioned dealing with any negativity or anything.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: BestinShow

Although I was open minded, I still didn't want to be a room mate with one that was rumored to be homosexual/[snipped], mainly because of the sigma of having a homosexual/queer for a barrack room mate.

Well, I'd say you're not open minded and easily influenced by the current paradigm. But then again, so are most, so you are in good company.

I said I was open minded, at the time (late 60's, Vietnam War, USAF Vet) it was all too common to ask to have another room if your room mate was suspected of being a sex pervert, queer or fagott. Being called a homosexual was somewhat uncommon at that time period. The other words were it and said with force. Because of that the soldier would ask to have another room mate, which was immediately honored and nothing was said to no one. No one went around calling people a... , you'd get your butt in front of the commander or even worse, the base commander and possibly lose some metal or stripes.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Ok, well, please stop using those words now. They are unacceptable. I think you have been given the answer to your question by several of the posters.

top topics

join