It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Meaning of Obama’s Silence

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Seems to me that Obama is as guilty as the rest of us.

He weighs in before the bodies are cold on quite a few cases that grab national attention, but on this one, he is silent.

All of a sudden, he seems to have decided to wait for the facts.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Seems to me that Obama is as guilty as the rest of us.

Guilty of what? Using incidents like this to grind a political ax and push the race issue? I can agree with that.

But isn't it hypocritical to blame Obama for doing it, while at the same time doing it yourself?

I find it disgusting when Obama or any politician used tragedy to make a political point, especially when race is involved. I find it just as disgusting when someone uses tragedy to bring up the race issue and to bash another person whom didn't even have anything to do with it...just because of political pettiness.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

These 'cities' ignore federal law authorizing U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to administratively deport illegal aliens without seeking criminal warrants or convictions from federal, state, or local courts."

Sounds like a dodge from importing drugs and workers. These "criminals" are allowed to continue their "business" (what else are they here for) without restraint, in fact a free ride back once they are done.

Only thing I can think of. Why build a wall at all if the amount of drugs and numbers of undocumented workers continues as before, before a wall?

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
So it's Obama's fault when he doesn't get personally involved, and it's Obama's fault when he gets involved.

Got it.

Even Superman from the comics can't be everywhere at all times, taking care of every incident in a world of over 6 billion people.

Why do you have a problem holding Obama to a standard he still holds the previous president? Obama is still out there blaming Bush for crap all the time! That goes for his supporters as well.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

Why do you have a problem holding Obama to a standard he still holds the previous president? Obama is still out there blaming Bush for crap all the time! That goes for his supporters as well.

I always laugh when I see people make an argument like this. It reminds me of my elementary school days when you heard kids say "oh, ya? Well, he started it".

Does it not occur to you that maybe there are some of us that hold all people to the same standards and don't pick and choose based on political ideology?

I'd be saying the same things if it was Bush. But the same cannot be said for many others. It's not about honesty and standing up for what one believes. It's that they must be against someone just because of the letter next to their name.

That's not a very intelligent approach, in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
The mental gymnastics required to justify defending a man who has issued orders to border agents in which they are instructed to act in contradiction to the laws of this country regarding illegal aliens, are truly mind boggling.

His orders are at the root of how this man could so easily get into this country time and time again, and to be able to be present on that pier to kill this woman.

"Why bring Obama into it?" Seriously? Because he gave orders that could be deemed to be accessory to her murder, that's why!

Obama is all about putting his nose into the illegal alien problem, or opening his big mouth about it when it suits his fundraising needs or those of his party, but when his actions contribute to criminal activity (in this case, murder of a U.S. citizen, you know, those people he is supposed to serve?), he buttons his lip and his sycophantic followers defend him by deflection, and the name-calling of anyone that points the facts out.

When asked about Border agents who did not follow his policy, which is in contradiction to U.S. law, he makes threats...

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

Very interesting. Let's look at what Pew Research had to say on this issue:

The Obama administration deported a record 438,421 unauthorized immigrants in fiscal year 2013, continuing a streak of stepped up enforcement that has resulted in more than 2 million deportations since Obama took office, newly released Department of Homeland Security data show.

One distinct feature of the record number of deportations is the increasing share of deportations by U.S. Customs and Border Protection after border apprehension. In 2013, 25% of all deportations were carried out by the agency, up from 17% in 2012.

Another change is that in 2013, a record 363,000 (83%) of deportations were carried out without appearing before a judge – either through an order issued by an enforcement agent (called expedited removal) or by using a previous order of deportation (called reinstatement of final orders). This is due to a 2005 shift in policy that has increased the likelihood of being deported after apprehension.

In Pew Research Center surveys, Hispanics have expressed disapproval of the growing number of deportations during the Obama administration. Six-in-ten Hispanic adults in February said the increased number of deportations of unauthorized immigrants is a “bad thing,” while the U.S. general public was divided on the issue. And while 89% of Hispanics in 2013 said they support a pathway to citizenship for unauthorized immigrants who meet certain requirements, a majority (55%) said deportation relief is more important than a pathway to citizenship for this population.

Pew Research

Do you wish to try again, Professor? I know most people educate themselves through youtube videos, but it does pay to look at numbers as well.
edit on 12-7-2015 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Ordering agents to NOT deport illegal aliens, even certain ones, is against the laws of this country, and when questioned on it (rather conveniently), he took the opportunity to threaten any agent that dared defy his policy (not the LAW, but his policy).

***ETA***
Don't make the mistake (and a rather rude one, at that) of assuming that I educate myself through youtube videos.
edit on 7/12/2015 by ProfessorChaos because: edit to add

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos

Ordering agents to NOT deport illegal aliens, even certain ones, is against the laws of this country, and when questioned on it (rather conveniently), he took the opportunity to threaten any agent that dared defy his policy (not the LAW, but his policy).

He never said any such thing. That lie began when Fox News selectively took one sentence out of a speech and the right wing media disseminated that BS through it's propaganda to the masses.

Here is what Obama did say:

The bottom line is, is that, if somebody's working for ICE and there's a policy and they don't follow the policy, there're going to be consequences to it.

Try again?

Don't make the mistake (and a rather rude one, at that) of assuming that I educate myself through youtube videos.

I said "some people". If you don't believe that applies to you then why would you be offended?

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

What is the trend in deportation of immigrants under the Obama administration? This seemingly simple question is proving very hard to answer. Consider three characterizations from recent media reports. Here is The Economist in February 2014:

America is expelling illegal immigrants at nine times the rate of 20 years ago; nearly 2m so far under Barack Obama, easily outpacing any previous president.

In April, the Los Angeles Times wrote:

A closer examination shows that immigrants living illegally in most of the continental U.S. are less likely to be deported today than before Obama came to office, according to immigration data. Expulsions of people who are settled and working in the United States have fallen steadily since his first year in office, and are down more than 40% since 2009.

And last week, Julia Preston of the New York Times reported that in the fiscal year 2013, the immigration courts saw a 26 percent drop in the number of people who have been deported, thereby producing:

… a different picture of President Obama’s enforcement policies than the one painted by many immigrant advocates, who have assailed the president as the ‘deporter in chief’ and accused him of rushing to reach a record of 2 million deportations. While Obama has deported more foreigners than any other president, the pace of deportations has recently declined.

Somehow, the Obama administration is simultaneously responsible for the highest rate of deportation in 20 years and a 26 percent drop in deportation. What is going on here? As it turns out, changes in immigration law, terminology and classification are causing this confusion.

One problem is the continued use of “deportation” in virtually all media reporting. In actuality, that category has been obsolete in immigration law since 1996. Prior to 1996, immigration law distinguished between immigrants who were “excluded,” or stopped and prevented from entering U.S. territory, and those who were “deported,” or expelled from the United States after they had made their way into U.S. territory. After 1996, both exclusion and deportation were rolled into one procedure called “removal.” At that point, the term “deportation” no longer had any meaning within the official immigration statistics. Its continued use in media reports is part of the confusion.

The large number of immigrants who are apprehended, usually but not exclusively along the southwestern border, and prevented from entering the country were part of a category called “voluntary departure” before 2006. Now that is called “return,” which also includes the subcategory of “reinstatement.” There is also a large category of “expedited removals” of persons that do not appear before an immigration judge but the procedure carries all the sanctions as a judge ordered removal.

www.washingtonpost.com...

I mean, if we're going to play a numbers game. . . . . .

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

That's all true, from what I can tell. If you also add the fact that there are much fewer people actually coming in to the US, the numbers are even more revealing.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Did he, or did he not make a threat to Border agents that did not follow his policies?

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos

Did he, or did he not make a threat to Border agents that did not follow his policies?

He said that if a policy is in place and they do not follow that policy, there would be consequences. Correct?

That's true of any government employee, correct?

They would have to follow the policy whether it was enacted by Obama, Bush or Abraham Lincoln.

Do you wish to continue the "mental gymnastics", or is your entire purpose here to be partisan, based on a lie propagated through propaganda?

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
We've got illegal aliens signing up for Obamacare, registering to vote, getting drivers licenses and social security numbers, secure in sanctuary cities and being coddled by this administration and it's syncophants.

Yeah, Obama is a real badass on illegals.

*snort*

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
here we have the ICE Director saying it's OK to violate the law because of "Ordaazzz"...

ICE Director’s Brazen Answer on Whether Agents Should Follow the Law, or Obama’s Immigration Directives

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: rigel4
meh!

Why should Obama get involved in local law enforcement?
The murder and the apprehension of the perpetrator has nothing to do with
Obama or his office.

One could say the same about:

Charleston Massacre
Two people who were Muslims who got killed over a parking dispute
Trayvon Martin self defense case
Michael Brown self defense case
Harvard professor who was detained

What say you about those cases?

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
Why does Obama need to speak out about this case??? What does it have to do with him??? What makes it so important compared to any other issue???

All I see is the same BS cycle of "Thanks Obama" rhetoric and blame shifting going on. When he does speak out something the Conservatives are shocked and insulted about what he says. When he doesn't speak out on something they all question his motives for not speaking.

Jeez, I'm going to go out on a limb here and put this out there. See if you can spot the obvious.

Speaking at the 2014 White House Tribal Nations Conference yesterday evening, President Obama delivered the following statement:

"Some of you may have heard there was a decision that came out today by a grand jury not to indict police officers who had interacted with an individual with Eric Garner in New York City, all of which was caught on videotape and speaks to the larger issues that we’ve been talking about now for the last week, the last month, the last year, and, sadly, for decades, and that is the concern on the part of too many minority communities that law enforcement is not working with them and dealing with them in a fair way.

www.whitehouse.gov...

1:20 p.m. | Updated President Obama spoke in highly personal terms on Friday about how the shooting in Florida of a 17-year-old black youth named Trayvon Martin had affected him, saying that “if I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon.”

thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com...

President Obama said that police in Cambridge, Massachusetts, "acted stupidly" in arresting a prominent black Harvard professor last week after a confrontation at the man's home.
www.cnn.com...

CHARLESTON, S.C. — President Barack Obama used his eulogy for a slain pastor to deliver an unvarnished lecture on America's racial history Friday, and then boldly sang "Amazing Grace," a spiritual meant to summon hope in the darkest of times.
www.startribune.com...

Not to mention many other agenda opportunities.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: chuck258

originally posted by: rigel4
meh!

Why should Obama get involved in local law enforcement?
The murder and the apprehension of the perpetrator has nothing to do with
Obama or his office.

One could say the same about:

Charleston Massacre
Two people who were Muslims who got killed over a parking dispute
Trayvon Martin self defense case
Michael Brown self defense case
Harvard professor who was detained

What say you about those cases?

I see you beat me to it. But we're on the same page and so are many other Americans. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I say conservatives ought to have some sanctuary cities from liberal policies. Can you imagine the outrage is we had a sanctuarcy city where we refused to pay federal income taxes, follow liberal gun laws, Obamacare, etc? So how is it that cities across this country can just declare they won't follow federal immigration laws? WTF?

The other thing you don't hear about are the high rate of hit & run accidents caused by illegal aliens. Here in Chicago (another sanctuary city with a high illegal immigrant population, you have hit & runs damn near every week) most of which involve illegal aliens.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Given your third world homicide rate, do you think the president should make a statement over every killing? Or just the ones Donald Trump wants to ride the back of?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join