It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tuscaloosa man dies in police custody

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Not much info out so far on this one.

Police received a tip that a man wanted for attempting to elude was at a residence. When they arrived, he took off. Police pursued on foot into the woods. They allege that a scuffle ensued in the woods during which pepper spray was deployed. They were able to get the subject handcuffed, but he collapsed as they were walking out of the woods. Officers state they began CPR and called rescue. Subject died at the hospital

Homicide unit is investigating (not unusual) and the investigators are either supervisors or law enforcement from another agency.

whnt.com...

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Your source brought up that a research paper indicates pepper spray can cause a heart attack or stroke . But I'm also sure people can have a severe allergic reaction to it also .

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Yea, it can also potentially be fatal to people with asthma.

I don't recall hearing it ever be the cause of death, though, as opposed to a possible contributing factor.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I could see where it would be a definite complication for people with a asthma. I was thinking more along the terms of anaphylactic shock ?

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Yea, it can also potentially be fatal to people with asthma.

I don't recall hearing it ever be the cause of death, though, as opposed to a possible contributing factor.

Death by pepper spray? yeah that happens.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Yea, some people can have a very strong reaction to it. Personally I hate it the stuff. It's about as effective on me as it is on the subject.

So much fun.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Where somebody died from pepper spray? Or they died from something that was triggered by pepper spray?

An asthmatic doesn't die from pepper spray, they die from having a reaction to it.

So, as I said, cause of death as opposed to a contributing factor. If you're aware of an instance where pepper spray was listed as the primary cause, by all means share.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Not aware of anything..I choose not to just believe what the cops say just because the cops said it.. Maybe thats why there are homicide investigators there?

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Or they died from something that was triggered by pepper spray?

Maybe like he sneezed on a cop and got a baton shoved up his ass?

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Well cops aren't the ones that determine a cause of death on an autopsy report.

Really, all you had to say was "no."

As for your other comment: whatever.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   
As I read this, I thought, 'he said something they didn't like and while cuffed, put something over his head?'
Second guessing myself though.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: imd12c4funn

Who knows? It's possible. I haven't been able to find anything about body cams or any specific statements beyond what's in the OP.

Wouldn't be the first time somebody got chased into the woods and didn't come back out alive I don't imagine.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Im sry Shamrock.. But if there is nothing fishy here, and Im suppose to just believe the cops story .

Why post on a conspiracy site in the posse comitatus forum?

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
Your source brought up that a research paper indicates pepper spray can cause a heart attack or stroke . But I'm also sure people can have a severe allergic reaction to it also .

It's easy to use isn't it? and any contributing factor then needs to be proven.
Bottom line is, no aggressive tactic is safe, they are designed to disable and subdue and should not be used for anything other than self defense in the immediate. Pepper spraying a crowd should be illegal, tear gassing a crowd should be illegal. Authorities just play the odds and work above the law really...bean counting in otherwords.
It's a bit like Asbestos, come in contact with that, and it could take half a lifetime to show the effects, yet they built the twin towers and used it when there was a big consensus of the effects of Asbestos years before. Pepper spray and tear gas are no different.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

From the "welcome to the new posse comitatus forum" post: 3) the rise of heavy-handed or disproportionately extreme police actions.

Which is entirely possible in the instance the OP is about. It remains to be seen whether it was or not, but it is entirely possible.

You stating that pepper spray has killed people and me stating that it's never, to my knowledge, been a primary cause of death isn't really germane to there being a possibility there was a criminal act or negligence in this man's death, is it?

I'm not really sure how me stating my belief that pepper spray hasn't killed anybody is translated into "believe everything cops say, all the time, ever."

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Why does everybody imply the wrong intent on my post? I was pointing out faults of pepper spray in no way was I defending its use .

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Why does everybody imply the wrong intent on my post? I was pointing out faults of pepper spray in no way was I defending its use .

I didn't think otherwise, I see no wrong intent in your post, I don't know about the others.

My post was about deployment of these things, and the way they are used/abused, not that abuse matters in the case of chemical deterrent, because they can harm you anyway, and just because government approves this and that, does not make it right.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

I didn't think otherwise, I see no wrong intent in your post, I don't know about the others.

My post was about deployment of these things, and the way they are used/abused, not that abuse matters in the case of chemical deterrent, because they can harm you anyway, and just because government approves this and that, does not make it right.

Fair enough, if I was mistaken my apologies .

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Where somebody died from pepper spray? Or they died from something that was triggered by pepper spray?

An asthmatic doesn't die from pepper spray, they die from having a reaction to it.

So, as I said, cause of death as opposed to a contributing factor. If you're aware of an instance where pepper spray was listed as the primary cause, by all means share.

Same thing. Sneaky slimy toad ways of trying to escape justice is not allowed. If someone uses something that causes serious illness or death in someone, its murder. Simply. Plain, and they're not allowed to define it, we do.

Any rules that give them the pretense of being able to set definitions and define them to favor themselves is "null and void at conception" does not exist, and is a crime to enforce.
edit on 11-7-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I wonder about these "non lethal" weapons actually killing people.. Is there any hard evidence (like video) of a cop using pepper spray or a taser and only pepper spray or a taser and the suspect dying ?

Or is it all just cops saying yeah all we did was taze him,dont know why he died?
edit on 11-7-2015 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join