It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rhode Island Beach Evacuated After Possible Explosion

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Here is latest story from Boston Globe which confirms that they suspect it was an explosion of either methane or hydrogen sulfide...most likely H2S cuz of the rotten egg smell. Methane has no smell.

Occurrence at Salty Brine Beach remains a mystery

In the article, they simply can't believe that methane and hydrogen sulfide are releasing from the depths below us but they are. They believe that's exactly what happened but they had to come up with some sort of explanation for that....so they blamed it on seaweed. lol. Good one, bet that's happened before.

Larry Mouradjian, associate director of natural resources at the state Department of Environmental Management, said Saturday the blast, which occurred below the high-tide line on the shore, created fissures in the ground.

As authorities continue to investigate the puzzling occurrence, Daniel Sheehy, president of Aquabio, Inc., an environmental consulting services firm in Arlington, speculated that decomposed seaweed could be to blame. “When seaweed decomposes, methane and nitrogen are released,” Sheehy said. “Hydrogen sulfide has a rotten egg smell. At elevated concentration, it’s toxic and also flammable.”

Sheehy said that if the seaweed is buried, it might cause methane to build up. Some beaches bury seaweed to get rid of it, he said.

A few posts ago I said this may have been a gas plume but it looks more like it actually came up from below the beach because they said it caused fissures. Here is what Jonny Mnemonic of the Jumping Jack Flash Hypothesis said about that possibility...the methane hydrates melting off the East Coast, migrating up through the ground.

Off the East Coast, a methane clathrate deposit containing 5 trillion pounds of methane is dissociating (melting). Some of that gas will migrate up through the ground and cause explosions and fires. People smelled something too, and that was probably hydrogen sulfide, the sulfur smell or 'gas odor'. The two gases go together because the ancient anaerobic bacteria and archaea that produce hydrogen sulfide eat, among other things, methane. This event is similar to the explosively-formed gas-explosion craters seen in the last year or so on the Yamal Peninsula in Siberia (Russia). This is one of those 'marker events' that we'll be able to look back on later as more coastal areas explode around the world...

Remember the large perfect holes blasted out in Siberia? Similar situation but on a much smaller scale.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Seaweed? We have always had seaweed. Why the explosions now? Strange.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Yea, that's a joke. Seaweed. What's cool about this is that we also have an answer now for many of the thousands of loud boom reports made over the past few years. There are many of these gas explosions coming up from underground and they leave no trace behind and as the USGS said in this beach case, there was no seismic activity. Just a boom, and this time it happened right underneath someone. Lucky she only got minor injuries.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

After the movie Jaws, a lot of people stayed away from the ocean. Now we have explosions. Good grief!

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

After the movie Jaws, a lot of people stayed away from the ocean. Now we have explosions. Good grief!

Cue the Hollywood summer blockbusters, "Death Beneath the Sands", "Beach Vacation from HELL", etc...

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Haven't seen those yet.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Really...do I actually need to put a < / sarcasm > on that post??? You do get this is a joke, a play upon the way Hollywood takes a news story, ramps it up to ridiculous levels, and makes $$ from all the suckers that flock to see it.

< rolls eyes >

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   

I think you are right. It's makes perfect sence. I wonder if she was lighting a cigarette. Could have triggered it.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: concerned190

I think you are right. It's makes perfect sence. I wonder if she was lighting a cigarette. Could have triggered it.

Thats exactly what I thought at first when I thought it was a plume, but now I'm not so sure being this may have been an explosion from underground. But yeah, the cigarette would have been my guess.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Dude I will not completely discount your theories like you completely discounting mine . But I would like to point out the rest of your article from the source you said confirms hydrogen sulfide a methane .

John E. Ebel, senior research scientist at the Weston Observatory and professor of geophysics at Boston College, said the explosion has him stumped.

A mix of oil and natural gas could cause an explosion, but conditions are not right for that to happen in Rhode Island.

The state does not have the geological environment that would produce ice known as methane hydrates or heated rocks like the kind found around active volcanoes, both of which could cause a blast like the one on Salty Brine Beach, he said.

“I cannot come up with any good natural explanation,” Ebel said. “I’m thinking through all of the lectures, the talks. . . . All of the natural explanations that I could think of in other parts of the world don’t apply to Rhode Island.”

Why your theory may be correct. It is in no way confirmed by the source you linked unless you only quote half the article .
edit on 13-7-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

Really...do I actually need to put a < / sarcasm > on that post??? You do get this is a joke, a play upon the way Hollywood takes a news story, ramps it up to ridiculous levels, and makes $$ from all the suckers that flock to see it.

< rolls eyes >

So I'm a little slow sometimes. I blame the meds. Prescription ones.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Maybe you are right............This is not a conspiracy it actually happened with witnesses. If it happens again I will really start paying attention.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

Dude I will not completely discount your theories like you completely discounting mine . But I would like to point out the rest of your article from the source you said confirms hydrogen sulfide a methane .

John E. Ebel, senior research scientist at the Weston Observatory and professor of geophysics at Boston College, said the explosion has him stumped.

A mix of oil and natural gas could cause an explosion, but conditions are not right for that to happen in Rhode Island.

The state does not have the geological environment that would produce ice known as methane hydrates or heated rocks like the kind found around active volcanoes, both of which could cause a blast like the one on Salty Brine Beach, he said.

“I cannot come up with any good natural explanation,” Ebel said. “I’m thinking through all of the lectures, the talks. . . . All of the natural explanations that I could think of in other parts of the world don’t apply to Rhode Island.”

Why your theory may be correct. It is in no way confirmed by the source you linked unless you only quote half the article .

That may have been true back when he was in the lectures, but it's different now and for some unknown reason way beyond me...ancient methane is seeping up through the earth and releasing into the atmosphere.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

I never denied that. Methane has been leaking up from the surface of the earth for a very very very long time tens of thousands of years at least .

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
Seaweed? We have always had seaweed. Why the explosions now? Strange.

Well...I can see how it could be seaweed. An organic material that has been buried building up gasses from decomp and it ignites from whatever source.

It is VERY common practice for beach groomers to dig fairly deep holes and bury the seaweed that washes up on the beach. While I can't discount what rezlooper is saying, I also could not discount the seaweed theory based on what I said above.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth

Maybe you are right............This is not a conspiracy it actually happened with witnesses. If it happens again I will really start paying attention.

None of what I say is conspiracy. It is real and this is not the first time this has happened. It's been happening but this one is getting a lot of attention because of the rare nature of it. Check the link I provided above and he tracks these cases every day. There have been many different phenomenon related to the dangerous gas theory I have presented here at ATS, just go and read my past threads in the fragile earth forum going back to 2012.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Here is an article about buried seaweed from Gulf Shores AL.

Source

Rotting seaweed is also a large source for Hydrogen Sulfide which has a sulfur smell and can explode easily.

Hydrogen Sulfide:

EMERGENCY OVERVIEW:
Colourless gas. Colourless liquid at extremely low temperatures or under very high pressure. Odour of rotten eggs at very low concentrations. Sickening sweet odour at 30-100 ppm. The ability to smell H2S can begin to dull at 50 ppm and can be completely lost. EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE GAS. Forms explosive mixtures with air over a wide concentration range. Very low ignition energy. Gas is heavier than air and may hug the ground. Distant ignition and flashback are possible. During a fire, irritating/toxic sulfur dioxide may be generated. Confined space hazard. Can accumulate in confined spaces, especially in low-lying, poorly ventilated areas, producing a fire/toxicity/explosion hazard. COMPRESSED GAS. Cylinders and closed containers may rupture violently if heated, releasing large amounts of flammable gas or may cause cylinder to rocket. May ignite in contact with some metal oxides and oxidants. VERY TOXIC. May be fatal if inhaled. EYE IRRITANT. Gas may be severely irritating to the eyes and respiratory tract. Causes lung injury-effects may be delayed. Inhalation of high concentrations may cause respiratory paralysis, irregular heartbeat, collapse and death. May cause nervous system effects. Liquefied escaping from cylinder can cause frostbite.

Has the same properties as what was described in the articles as far as smell and whatnot as well.

My guess is that they stated it may be the seaweed because they found an extensive amount of it either around the area or dug down and found it where it was buried. It is common to be buried above the high water line....

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

I never denied that. Methane has been leaking up from the surface of the earth for a very very very long time tens of thousands of years at least .

Now you're speculating. Did they teach that in his lectures? Methane has not been seeping up like it is now in so many different geographical areas. In just recent days you have this explosion and the bubbling in the golf course pond in Canada. These events are very rare.

Check out these boat fires and explosions from just today's report on the Jumping Jack Flash website

2015-07-12 - Boat explodes and burns on Kentucky Lake at Moors Resort in Gilbertsville (Kentucky), 6 injured:
www.lex18.com...
www.wpsdlocal6.com...
twitter.com...
www.myfoxal.com...
www.wave3.com...
www.wpsdlocal6.com...
www.marshallcountydaily.com...

Quote: "Six people are being treated for burns after a boat caught fire Sunday at Moors Resort in Marshall County. According to the Marshall County Rescue Squad, the boat exploded near gas pumps."

2015-07-12 - Boat bursts into flame on Lake McAlester in Pittsburg County (Oklahoma):
www.ktul.com...
www.okcfox.com...
www.washingtontimes.com...
www.newschannel10.com...
www.mcalesternews.com...
www.tulsaworld.com... tml

Quote: "The adults and children evacuated the boat unharmed. Patrolmen attempted to tow the boat to shore, but it broke apart and sank because of the massive fire damage. Authorities say they don't know what caused the motor to catch fire."

2015-07-12 - Boat bursts into flame at 6:45 AM at Branchport Park in Long Branch (New Jersey), 1 injured:
www.app.com...
www.wopular.com...

2015-07-12 - Boat explodes and burns on the St. Johns River in Astor (Florida), 1 injured:
www.wftv.com...

Note: Boats have really been burning and/or exploding pretty hard lately. These are the 624th, 625th, 626th and 627th boats or ships to burn/explode in 2015...

Note how he keeps track of the total number of boat fires just this year alone...627 boats. And he's been tracking these since 2011 so he knows there has been a drastic increase in these fires.

Astonishing is the fact that there have been 437 bus fires so far this year that he has tracked on his site. A huge majority of these are school buses. Years ago I don't even recall a single school bus ever simply catching fire for no apparent reason at all. Google it and you'll find countless stories about school bus fires.

These are plumes of hydrogen sulfide gas (which is heavier-than-air) and will float and bounce along the surface of the earth and then react and explode when coming in contact with an ignition source such as copper, a chemical reaction happens.

I could spend several days in front of this computer providing you links to all the stories from the past few years that are out of the norm and most likely related to this theory. Not all events are from these gases, but most are, and soon enough those powers that be will begin to admit the real causes of these events and at the same time, they will admit they may be powerless to do anything about it.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Note Vasa that they simply suggested the seaweed idea. They never jumped on it and they still say this remains a mystery so that tells me they didn't dig down and find any seaweed. They are only saying it because they are baffled and they simply can't explain it away without scaring the sheet out of everybody. These things just don't happen out of thin air. But they do now!

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Judging from the pics of the scene, it must not have been that worrisome or large of an explosion.

Source

Seems everyone is still just sitting around enjoying the sun. I would think if this was some huge explosion, people would not want to stick around. They appear to still be lounging and enjoying the beach as if nothing happened.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join