It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vikings kidnapped an Indian woman 1000AD

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

That was my thought also. She may have been an adventurer.

Vikings are often portrayed as lacking honour. This isn't proven. Viking art suggests they were not unthinking brutes.

...the Vikings didn’t mix much with the local population.
arstechnica.com...

...geneticists from Norway and Sweden have provided a picture of the Viking world that reveals women traveled to settle in far-off places. This appears to be true of born-and-bred Norsewomen as well as those from the lands where vikings traveled.
arstechnica.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
She may not have necessarily been kidnapped. ..

Crazy talk.... There could not have been any civilized interaction that created coupling of different ethnic groups, but then think of viking women whew...

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Its pretty much an established fact (by the sane) that the "Vikings" and the Phoenicians came to the Americas way before the later Europeans did (who are actually descended from them btw; go figure). But for some reason the establishment does not want you to know that.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 05:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
Its pretty much an established fact (by the sane) that the "Vikings" and the Phoenicians came to the Americas way before the later Europeans did (who are actually descended from them btw; go figure). But for some reason the establishment does not want you to know that.

No it isn't, the Vikings arrival at L'Anse aux Meadows is an established fact
en.wikipedia.org...
The Phonecian claim is a fringe theory with no credible evidence..
en.wikipedia.org...

Proof in the form of an inscription, like the celebrated Phoenician text allegedly found in Paraíba in northern Brazil, remains unlikely. The latter, which recounts the landing of a storm-driven party from Sidon, has long been recognized as a clever forgery. If such a fateful expedition had actually occurred, the proof is more likely to be found in a handful of Phoenician pottery shards

The establishment doesn't give a crap either way

edit on 12-7-2015 by Marduk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Didn't the Norse settlers in Greenland interact with the Inuit? Could this have been a result?

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax
No , the Inuit do not carry haplogroup C
See my previous post, it explains that HgC in Europe is very ancient, it in fact predates most modern Europeans.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: punkinworks10
a reply to: Astyanax
No , the Inuit do not carry haplogroup C
See my previous post, it explains that HgC in Europe is very ancient, it in fact predates most modern Europeans.

In 2010, Icelandic researchers discovered a C1 lineage in their home country, estimating an introduction date of 1700 or earlier, indicating a possible introduction during the Viking expeditions to the Americas. A Native American origin for this C1e lineage is likely, but the researchers note that a European or Asian one cannot be ruled out

en.wikipedia.org...(mtDNA)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Take "discover" as: a new use for something already known. That's how Columbus discovered America. If civilization X, Y, or Z was here before Columbus, it obviously didn't make much of a dent in the evolution of the world, because if it did, we would know who came to north and south America first and when. Columbus started the Americans down a path which evolved into today's world. therefore, he gets credit for "discovering" America.

It's kind of like, every guy that saw Kate Upton, knew she was hot, but she had to be "discovered" before evolved into a super model.

dictionary.reference.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: thinline Columbus started the Americans down a path which evolved into today's world. therefore, he gets credit for "discovering" America.

So it wasn't Amerigo Vespucci then who the continent is named after
en.wikipedia.org...

Columbus discovered the Bahamas, then went home, Vespucci discovered the continent.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   
What's the story, Vikings raped and pillaged everything and I think we put too much emphasis on DNA, we think we know everything b cause we found DNA but until we can grow a pterodactyl from a pelican then we are at amateur night of the nativity.

Stem cell, home grown liver (this is a must cos dry July is killing me) and heaps of other stuff.

Didn't we just find recently some people convicted through floored knowledge of DNA?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
We know from Greenlander sagas (and Icelandic) that disputes amongst themselves helped to destroy their fledgeling community at L'Anse Aux Meadowes. The scraeling (Indian) attacks finished the community off. However, these attacks do not appear to have been instantaneous so possibly this Indian woman happily went with them before things turned "bad".

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Marduk
What ever happened to that (I believe) 9th century (perhaps...or 11th max) evidence left behind somewhere in Quebec?!?!? Ugh, you would probably know if it was ever established as authentic or not...I haven't heard about it in years...but it was all over Nat Geo, main stream media, Discovery & History Channel, the net, and papers way back in the late 90s. They found something like a wall segment in the Viking style of that time in Quebec and a carved stone with a name and date written in Norse runes...wasn't that supposed to confirm the Vikings knew the lands from Scandinavia to Iceland and Greenway all the way to Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Quebec? Sheesh or was it discovered somewhere like Minessota not Quebec...what the hell I've never in my life had a fuzzy memory about anything, much less something so trivial and simple. Either someone knows what I'm vaguely recalling...if not I will chalk it up to a little case of the Manic Monday Mandella Effect and then have to go check real quick what else is "off" in this universe compared to the universe I fell asleep in Sunday night.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: AlexandrosTheGreat

Here you go
L'Anse aux Meadows en.wikipedia.org... La

Norse_colonization_of_the_Americas en.wikipedia.org...

Kensington Runestone en.wikipedia.org...

Beardmore Relics en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 13-7-2015 by Marduk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Forensick
What's the story, Vikings raped and pillaged everything...

I though it was common known today that this is not true but I guess "new" information can be hard to process in some peoples minds.

First of all, there has never ever been a people in human history named "vikings". It was something a few norse did. The lable of the people was Norse. Today we are called Scandinavians, but we are still the same people. And you need to stop thinking about my ancestors as barbaric rapists, because that is just not right, and imo, very offensive. The Nazis and other crappy people missused the image and culture of my ancestors so I can understand people of today think about right wing extremists when they see "viking" symbols etc. but that and this "barbaric rapists" bs needs to stop. The norse people did many amazing features and at the time, was a very advanced and highly organised people, succesfull traiders, adventurers, warriors and travellers. They left their footprints very far away from their homlands, both in genetics and in stories. They worked as bodyguards and hired guns in the middle east. They were a part of the history of the UK and Russia. Yes, some of them did raid, killed and raped, but hey, have you read christian history from that time? They didnt excatly hugged everyone with cuddly teddy bears either.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Why would the only conclusion be that she was kidnapped?

Maybe she saw the strapping young Scandinavian men, and went willingly ?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I wish you would have wrote Native American.

Once sat in my car and my mate says "look at the Indian on the bus" I turned to him without looking and said what's the deal, it could be Pakistani or any type if Asian from here and loads of thrive here, "look" he said and there sat on the top deck of a bus was a guy in full on YMCA chieftain Indian massive feather head dress!!

20 years ago and I still pee myself laughing about the randomness of it all.

You probably had to be there though.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

Yeah, my first thought was that an american football team had kidnapped a girl from India... lol.
Both Indians and Vikings are wrong words to use today.
Should read: Native American DNA found among 1000AD Norse.
Nothing says she was kidnapped, bought as a slave, was someones wife or just a curiouse female following a "new" people. The possibility exists, but the evidence does not.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Floke
a reply to: Forensick

Yeah, my first thought was that an american football team had kidnapped a girl from India... lol.
Both Indians and Vikings are wrong words to use today.
Should read: Native American DNA found among 1000AD Norse.
Nothing says she was kidnapped, bought as a slave, was someones wife or just a curiouse female following a "new" people. The possibility exists, but the evidence does not.

Actually, if we are talking a Canadian context (and there is no proof of pre-Columbian Norse in what would become the US), we'd speak of First Nations, not Native Americans.
Just sayin'
edit on 14-7-2015 by JohnnyCanuck because: clarity

top topics

<< 1   >>

join