It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is There Anything We Can Agree With

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Can we collectively agree on anything, liberal or conservative, left right, it don't matter. With so much rhetoric being tossed around from all directions, is there anything all people can agree with in this country.

And, if so, how could it be utilized to bring everyone together, and help use this common ground to educate ourselves and help find and fix problems we all face, together.

Any suggestions? How do we as a nation move this country forward without the bickering, left right divide. Certainly we can agree to something, can't we or at least agree to disagree?

Unless, in my opinion, we put down our differences and come together as intelligent people and discuss things that affect us all, those that continually create division will continue to do so.

Any ideas?

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Daedal

Simple, get rid of the party system and initiate campaign finance reform. Eliminate lobbying from corporations and special interest groups. Initiate term limits on congress.

Give government back to the people.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Tony Blair is a scumbag...

That one usually has ATS united as a whole.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
One thing we all collectively agree on is that we care about our children.

Right?

We might not care about someone else's kids, though; just our own if we have any. Corporations certainly don't care about children unless there's a buck to be made from them. Sometimes I think that the last person alive will be happy they've all the money in the world.
edit on 11/7/15 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Inner city, thug life culture is poisoning and ruining what ever it touches.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Daedal
Can we collectively agree on anything, liberal or conservative, left right, it don't matter. With so much rhetoric being tossed around from all directions, is there anything all people can agree with in this country.

And, if so, how could it be utilized to bring everyone together, and help use this common ground to educate ourselves and help find and fix problems we all face, together.

Any suggestions? How do we as a nation move this country forward without the bickering, left right divide. Certainly we can agree to something, can't we or at least agree to disagree?

Unless, in my opinion, we put down our differences and come together as intelligent people and discuss things that affect us all, those that continually create division will continue to do so.

Any ideas?

I could entirely with the following:
1) The US desperately needs to invest in infrastructure. Everything from the rotting bridges to obsolete roads to insulating the power grid from EMP events to upgrading internet infrastructure so its faster. This would benefit future generations, and would provide many thousands of jobs and stimulate the economy for years ahead.
2) We've absolutely got to end the use of disposable plastics of all sorts; containers, bags, etc. We're generating billions of tons of waste and its ending up in the oceans and the oceans are the heart and lungs of the planet.
3) The world leaders, either through a new convention or the UN (although that would be near impossible) and the World Court need to establish a certain minimum standard for a successful nation-state. Once those standards are established, they need be applied to every nation on the planet and those nations failing to meet the minimum standards should be a) given time to come up to standard and failing that should b) found in proper Court to be a "failed state". Failed states would then see armed forces and humanitarian aid teams descend upon them; the failed states governments would be dissolved and the former nation state would then be designated a "territory" pending re-development as a nation state within the previously existing borders. Examples of failed states? Syria, South Sudan, etc.
4) As a Nation, the US badly needs to upgrade its k-12 education system and it should be done with modern, state of the art computer based learning systems.
5) To somehow preserve the "soul" of the nation and to improve the quality of life in the US, we need a Marshall type relief plan for the Arts, Architecture and Musical Arts. We need to set up a fund or plan to generously compensate and reward creative Arts, and Living space Architects and holistic healing and inspirational Musical arts. This effort should also focus on visual arts, graphics arts and performing arts, such as Theatre and Movie production. We must encourage more creativity and inspiration in these areas and soon!

I could go on but I'll stop there and disappear such as to not be injured by the flying mud.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I'm sure we can all agree that Masons are evil and beer and bacon are health foods.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
In a word: no.

300 million people scattered across nearly 4 million square miles.

Hugely diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds.

More religions than any one person can name off hand. And those who have no religion at all.

So as much as it may make me the guy to rain on the parade, I don't think there's any one thing that everybody across the country can agree on.

ETA - Except maybe what KawRider said. As for it being a starting point....

edit on 11-7-2015 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Our politicians are awful,
Our politics are pretty bad too,
We vote for the least of two evils,
And waste our time when we do,
We are all pushed aside by money,
Even though the currency is fake,
We think we could do much better,
Now instead let's have another drink!

Cheers all!

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I think that everyone can agree that there is something inherently wrong in this country. We cannot agree on what is wrong or what solutions need to be implemented, but we can all agree that something is wrong.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Agreeing to disagree counts! No matter what there will always be a dissenting opinion. So, no!

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I don't think we all have to agree to have a viable country ... in fact, there is strength in our diversity.

But that requires COMPROMISE a concept that seems to be lost among those who currently govern.

Also, if we could agree to debate on the facts rather than our beliefs, system efficiency would increase 50% almost immediately.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Everybody agrees Obama has fundamentally transformed America.

Right?

Obama: "Fundamentally Transforming the United States of America" Long Version

Uploaded on May 20, 2011

Here is what Candidate Obama wanted for our country when he was running for President of the United States of America. He said that "we are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America."

What he meant was what he said in the video, or was it? Or maybe he meant that he wanted to uproot our Republic and make it into something of his liking, something that would allow the "redistribution" of wealth like he promised during the election. Maybe he wants a country where those who produce supplement those who do not produce.

Obama said on February 16, 2008; "Don't tell me that words don't matter." Are we to believe him? Do words really matter? Is "fundamentally transforming America" what he was talking about in this speech? Or is it something else that he wants to do to our country. Only you can decide that. You be the judge. Your judgment will be counted on Election Day 2012.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

We have a thread that is asking if we can put our differences aside and come to an agreement on something, and you have to throw in your typical political Obama nonsense.

Must be a slow day on the WND forums, huh?

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: xuenchen

We have a thread that is asking if we can put our differences aside and come to an agreement on something, and you have to throw in your typical political Obama nonsense.

Must be a slow day on the WND forums, huh?

I'm so sorry.

I though a long list of changes would be agreeable.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
But that requires COMPROMISE a concept that seems to be lost among those who currently govern.

This!

Not only are people unwilling to compromise, they are unwilling to have an understanding of two different opinions and have any kind of respect for a person with whom they disagree. Things are so polarized, and people are so entrenched in their "teams", their talking points, their "positions" on topics and their "belief systems", that the hope to ever have a meaningful dialog is pretty much a lost cause.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

That's because too many people have been taught that compromise is a sign of weakness. Never mind that is how intelligent, rational people come to an agreement. It's a weakness and we cannot have any of that, can we?

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Congress was elected to do a job they are either too emotional or too incompetent to do. They should all be fired.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

You're an ineptaphobe!!!!

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

I think we can all agree that we would rather not be bitten by snakes or venomous insects. That's all I can think of....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join