It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who were the First UFO researchers ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Earliest I can come up right now is Jacques Vallee ? I'm sure it started way earlier than him.

Can anyone give us an estimate when UFOLOGY Became a serious investigation ?

First Books or Documentaries as well ?

I'm really curious about this, and I'm sure the knowledge of the 'UFO members' here will suffice to give me (us) the answers !

Can't wait what will come up ... I'm sure it will be interesting to talk about.

Thanks, Peace !

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Kenneth Arnold and Hynek spring immediately off the top of my head.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   
There were investigatve reporter-type dudes going way back to the turn of the century. They followed the flying airship stories. There was a spate of those stories back then. The Texas Aurora Encounter comes to mind.

Probably the first serious researcher was Hynek. He had a system of descriptions, and also coined the close encounter
scale.

Here's some historical UFOlogy info:
UFO history

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Alundra

Jacques Vallee was way ahead of his time and more conciously aware than most today. It's an interesting story of why he left ufology.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: rexsblues

Jacques Vallee was way ahead of his time and more conciously aware than most today. It's an interesting story of why he left ufology.

Agreed. Vallee's stuff was a game-changer. I think his idea that "something" is messing with us applies to a variety of paranormal areas, and not just UFos and aliens.
Vallee obviously read Carl Jung's stuff.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Charles Hoy fort collated /researched a few , amongst other things
wiki

funbox

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Ancient man, when he drew them on caves and worshiped them.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Ironhawke

Wow, you have a strong neck!

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

J.Allen Hynek and Bluebook. The first major, public researcher.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: rexsblues

He's still busy researching and even gives lectures in France
on occasion; but yes, UFO research has become so contaminated
and insane that he's become a very private person out of the lime
light now. I don't blame him one bit.

Kev

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ironhawke

Of course ! How could I forget the Great Hynek

But Kenneth Arnold, was he also a researcher ? I thought he was just famous for his sighting that was picked up by the press and coined the word 'flying saucers' .

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: funbox
Charles Hoy fort collated /researched a few , amongst other things
wiki

funbox

Thank you , this is great ! Probably the first true 'UFO' researcher

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   

He did a couple researches til he got caught in a very bizarre incident, might've been a hoax but there were..questions

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Ironhawke

Hm, very interesting, could maybe give us some more information on this 'incident' ?

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Kromlech

Heheh, sure .. but I don't think you can file this under 'UFO Research'

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Alundra

originally posted by: Ironhawke

Of course ! How could I forget the Great Hynek

But Kenneth Arnold, was he also a researcher ? I thought he was just famous for his sighting that was picked up by the press and coined the word 'flying saucers' .

I think the consensus is that he was a CIA disinfo agent.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

possibly, but then history has a way of burying important people ,so who knows the first, but hes one of the first to associate uxexplained light's and ufo,uso's to visitors from other worlds, he was also one of the first to tie this in with mysterious dissapearances, *abduction phenomena*

the book of the damned is his first book in which these subjects are broached

funbox

edit on 11-7-2015 by funbox because: wolves sit back and glance at the clock

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kromlech
Ancient man, when he drew them on caves and worshiped them.

Exactly

The worlds religions are in many ways great accounts of encounters with UFOs.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Hello Alundra,

It's hard to say who was the first 'ufologist' because a lot of people became immediately interested in UFO sightings reports on the day Kenneth Arnold's report hit the news wires. Ironically, the first ones were guys in the intelligence community. The Cold War was in play and these guys would be alarmed by descriptions of exotic machines flying in US airspace. They enlisted the help of physicists to ascertain whether a disc-shaped object could fly. I use the word 'ironically' as traditional ufology distrusts the very people whose studies they rely upon - Sign, Grudge, Blue Book.

Project Sign and Project Grudge were studying the reports in the same way as later 'serious ufologists' as early as 1947.

A little earlier than Arnold and we had the 'foo fighter' reports. The man who would later chair the Robertson Panel, Howard P. Robertson, was in charge of researching the foo reports. This would have been perhaps five years before the Arnold report and would make him the first 'ufologist' in the broad sense of studying reports of unidentified flying objects. As far as I recall, the bulk of his files have been lost.

In our modern idea of serious ufologists, we might set a date of 1948 when saucer clubs started and some of them took the 'serious' approach of seeing the reports as a subject for science. It'd be 1956 before a dedicated science-based, civilian 'ufology' came about with the start of NICAP. Again, this organisation was populated by military and intelligence figures from the upper ranks; the first board had retired CIA leaders and military admirals and generals.

The UK had the Flying Saucer Review magazine in 1955 and this also included senior scientists writing articles about UFOs.

A lot more could be said and better links too. I'm just burned out at the moment and can't muster the energy to do your questions justice.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
It really is a difficult question as there is many kinds of ufos. Take the 'cigar' shaped ones for example. No one knew about them till researcher Monica Lewinsky was able to capture them going in and out of small caves while most Americans were oblivious.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join