It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No More Plastic: Lego Pledges $150 Million to Go Green.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Lego just announced a bold 10-year plan to makes its goods more environmentally friendly. This comes after a 2013 partnership with the World Wildlife Fund to develop a plan in reducing its overall carbon emissions, as well as those of its supply chain. Lego pledged to invest $150 million to find a replacement for the plastic used in its blocks as well as to reduce the size of its packaging. A commitment for this kind of strategy includes using recycled or renewed materials and improving the recyclability of its products. Hasbro and Mattel, producers of such iconic toys as Play-Doh and Hot Wheels, respectively, have also vowed to invest in this global issue. By 2020, Hasbro plans to reduce its waste, water, energy, and greenhouse gas emissions. It is also overhauling the packaging for most of its brands. These strides have led to Hasbro being named a winner of the EPA's 2014 Climate Leadership Award. After caving to mounting pressure from Greenpeace, Mattel committed to source new materials for its packaging, setting a goal of 85 percent recycled materials by the end of 2015. "The investment announced is a testament to our continued ambition to leave a positive impact on the planet, which future generations will inherit," said Lego Group owner Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen. Words we should all try to live by.

Link

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Why isn't everything just made out of larger legos? seriously.

edit on 11-7-2015 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: rexsblues
They melt when they get hot. Trust me.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 05:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: rexsblues

That would be awesome, and also cool, we'd all be part of the team....

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 05:40 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

Has nobody here ever trod on a piece of Lego barefoot, usually when half asleep? Lego is the greatest curse to humankind. Worse even than satanic private financiers and boring ATS threads. Lego can never be environmentally friendly. Lego hates us with a passion.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Kromlech

I see you beat me to it by one minute. Pain to much too talk so you just linked a picture?

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: NeuronDivide

They need a clever way to recycle turds. I wouldn't want any because I still have my old Lincoln Logs, but millions of very young children have enjoyed playing with their own poop for eons. Being a father of four, I can attest to that young creativity. A way to make them more sanitary would go a long way for making them more acceptable to the general--and older--public (or boy men anyway). I suggest that Llego work on that area or make more public announcements in that same fashion to boost their flagging popularity now that many people are tired of hearing the name.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: rexsblues

Funny you should mention that. I have to crush and save a lot of aluminum before I take to be recycled, and the metal recyclers don't pay that much. I save cans, pet food cans, used aluminum foil, everything. I even save pop rivet pins, rather than just toss them. I was thinking if I had a lego-type mold the size of a brick, I might be able to collect enough aluminum to build a garage. But, like Phage pointed out, temperature variations might be a problem. I wonder how much the walls would expand during the summer? Probably enough to break any installed windows or jam any doors.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Reduce the packaging because the content seldom ever fills 50 percent of the box..I get the use of plastics but I can't imagine legos remaining as durable as they are now...

new topics

top topics

join