It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice sought on driver's license laws .

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   
When travelling from one country to another the status of a driver's license may change considerably.

I'd especially like to know what the laws and customs are between South Africa and Australia.

But generally, are the roads the same everywhere, and can one just get up and drive?

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

Is this the whole story, or have people run into difficulties?
southafrica.angloinfo.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   
What one of my bothers wanted to know - can somebody with an Australian license drive in South Africa?

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   

For Americans Who Intend to Drive in South Africa

Any valid U.S. driver's license is accepted in South Africa, provided it bears the photograph and signature of the holder; is printed in English; and the license is issued while the holder thereof was not permanently or ordinarily a resident of South Africa for the period thereof; and subject to the conditions under which such license was issued. If your license does not comply, you should obtain an International Driving Permit before flying to South Africa.

U.S. residents usually obtain International Driving Permits from local auto clubs affiliated with the AAA. The New York Department of Motor Vehicle does not issued International Driving Permits.

Pretty sure you need to obtain an international DL but should be east enough, by simply presenting the DL from your own country and applying. Insurance would be wise and of course to make sure it provided the standard or the required coverage where ever you intend to operate a vehicle. I am sure a consulate would gladly answer any questions regarding this by a simple phone call. Short of that, I would stop by a travel agency as most of them would have the answers and most likely provide them for no charge.

www.southafrica-newyork.net...

Perhaps this will help answer your question. And while this is from an American aspect, it seems any DL as long as it has a picture and is in an official South African language it would be acceptable for an exchange for a SA license.

edit on 7/11/2015 by DJMSN because: addition

edit on 7/11/2015 by DJMSN because: addition

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Not sure exactly what your asking but As someone from Australia I don't know if they even drive on the same side of the road in Africa.

Australia is first world with good roads but watch out for heavy combination vehicles where 3 -5 trailers is common, more across the north of the country particularly the Northern Territ tree.

I think South Africa is part first and part second world. Dangerous place to drive in according to Africans I have talked to due to killings, hijackings etc. Whites tend to travel in convoys.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Thanks everybody.

This blogger says:

If your licence is in English and has a picture, and is not expired by the end of the period you are here, your Australian licence is fine. No need for an IDP.

www.tripadvisor.co.za...

That only refers to Aussie in South Africa situation.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I drove in Australia on a British driver's license just needed insurance. I hired a car and all the checks were done at the car hire place. Australia's roads were wider than the British and they drive on the same side of the road so wasn't a problem.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I have driven around the world on an Australian license.

Once upon a time, they would rort you into buying an "international" license .

No longer valid.

You will be fine ... however I suggest you consider the variables between right and left hand drive.

ED: Also be sure to check local traffic rules ...

Even in Australia you can be caught out with different state laws.

Not to mention subtle differences between us and our cuzzie bro's !
edit on 11-7-2015 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   

I know you aren't asking about America....but as it pertains to America i presume so. At least with Mexico. They come across the border and drive here all the time. I've known folks from "over there", and they had nothing special to drive here. Its frequent that the cars don't meet US safety/emissions, and its frequent that the drivers are uninsured.

At least in Texas, N. Mex, and Arizona. Not sure how it works in California, but I presume since the points of entry are federally controlled, the state governments have little input.
edit on 7/11/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Thanks, good to know for all English speaking countries.

top topics

join