It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

@#$% you Eddie Van Halen

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
So the Van Halen bros are back to being world class douche bags after crappin on Michael Anthony, their original bass player.

In an interview just a couple weeks ago Eddie said, "Every note Mike ever played, I had to show him how to play,". "Before we'd go on tour, he'd come over with a video camera and I'd have to show him how to play all the parts."

Whether that's true, I'm not sure but I doubt it.

Sammy Hagar, however stepped up for Michael in this quick interview...

Now, I've never been a "Van Hagar" fan at all, but I gotta respect that. Not to mention Sammy's still a damn good singer, especially at 67. While David Lee Roth sounds like a dying cat, choking on cigars in a vacuum bag... under water.

Here's "Van Halen" on Jimmy Kimmel Live just a couple months ago...

...yeah, that's pretty f'n horrible.

Now here's Hagar from an event this year, again he's 67...

...that's pretty damn good in my opinion, although I can't stand that f'n song or Hagar. Every time I hear his stuff, I feel like I'm 12 years old sittin in the waiting area of a tanning salon, waitin on my mom and contemplating suicide.

Sammy's still got it though, If I were Eddie I'd be making amends pretty quick if I wanted to have a halfway decent tour, but then again when are these old farts just gonna hang it up? I mean if you still got it, great but if you don't, you're not foolin anybody. Just look in the mirror and say "I'm old and I suck" then go away. It's that easy.

Van Halen in my mind will always be the DLR era, really great stuff, Fair Warning still blows me away.

What's your brand of Halen?
edit on 10-7-2015 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: rexsblues

Every time I hear his stuff, I feel like I'm 12 years old sittin in the waiting area of a tanning salon, waitin on my mom and contemplating suicide. 

Ah, good times, good times.
Seriously, though, I agree with your opinions on Van Halen.
I did not like 'Van Hagar' much either, but I like Sammy as he is... Sammy.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   

my brand of halen is none.
cant stand them. not with dlr. not with hagar.

the only thing i could maybe get into is eddie doing is eruption solo. even then. i enjoy watching him play it more than i enjoy listening to him play it.

even though i dont like his stuff, eddie was impressive for a guy that knew exactly nothing about music theory. i give him his propers for that. i read an article where he talked about skipping school and playing 15 hours a day.
thats crazy dedication.

shy of that, i never want to hear them again.

as far as him dogging the bass player.
eh

sure he was better than his lame ass kid wolfgang.
eddie put wolfgang on the tour after only playing bass for a year.

now, i was born in 78 so i first started paying attention to eddie after i had heard tons of much better players so that may be the reason for my opinion.

had i been an early teen and heard eddie for the first time when he was new and fresh, i might feel different.

i didnt though. i have always felt that eddie and both incarnations of the band were meh at best.

also, eddie seems like a giant cock.

everyone loved him for his tapping. people want to SEE it. when he first started doing it live he would turn around and put his back to the crowd so people wouldnt try to 'steal' his 'moves'

that sucks. music shouldnt be about that.

i cant stand when musicians are lame like that. it ruins it for me

jack white is the same way. i really do love his music but he is a giant turd.

he got all uptight and started talking smack about aeurbach from the keys. their kids went to school together and jack pulled his kid(s) out cause he said he didnt want them to be around aeurbachs kids and ran his mouth about how the black keys stole the stripes 'sound'

thats just not cool.

im all about musicians that want to collaborate with each other. instead of dogging him out, jack should have had him come to nashville to the 3rd man studios to lay some stuff down.
could have been awesome.

instead he is a little bitch and it changed my opinion about him

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
i like dweezil playing it better

it is a bummer that dweezil was all over eddies balls when his dad was the best guitarist on the planet
edit on 10-7-2015 by Mugly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Mugly, other than myself really diggin the DLR era... I agree with everything you posted 100%. A lot of these high profile rocker ass-clowns get lost in their f'n egos for eternity, but it's usually the vocalists, so when it's actual musical talent that's being a bitch, they turn to exactly that... a bitch.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

im not saying eddie sucks. of course he dont.
he is nasty. as a guitar player and someone who has studied theory for years, i can appreciate what eddie did/does with limited knowledge of theory.
it has just never been my back.

eddie never seemed very melodic to me.

i cant really put it into words. i just dont care for his stuff. at the same time i wish i could play that good.

it really bums me out cause to be honest i suck at guitar and that bothers me too.

of course i dont actually suck, i just want to be better than i am.

my theory far outshines my application. i have never been able to apply my knowledge to the fretboard.
i am a bit jealous of guys like eddie though. limited theory but can play.
i have crazy theory but am not happy with my playing.
to be fair, i dont have hours a day to devote to it. plus, my hand is messed up and it prevents me.

sorry. rambling.

eddie just always seemed like a jerk to me. to me, he seems like he thinks he is like the best of all time when really , he is nowhere close.

to be fair though, eddie has created some of the most played and memorable music of all time. he just did it with an attitude and i dont like that.

i dont like any musician that acts like that. like jack white.

it shouldnt be like that.
i always come back to guys like paul gilbert. frank zappa. guthrie govan.
true masters. virtuosos.
those guys seem like music fans first, musicians second.

the get off on playing with others. they get off on being surrounded by guys who are at their level. they thrive on it. it inspires them. they inspire others.

dudes like jack and eddie are not like that.

they think they are the tits(and in a way they are) but it comes off that way and it sucks

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Fair Warning and Women & Children First.

LOVE those two albums

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I always hated David lee Roth. Sammy Hagar was great though!!!

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

I get what you're sayin, it's just different brands of talent. Some are fueled by the synchronicity others by leading, The best of the best have a healthy awareness of both, Eddie definitely gets off leading, not mention Roth who's got the same disease as a vocalist, and that's kind of why Van Halen's always had some kind of # goin on. They just couldn't ever shut up and get back to being creative.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Omg I Fuc## $ love Van Halen. Are you guys kidding me? I loved Van Hagar and love Sammy solo too.

I saw them on the 1984 tour and Eddie had the most epic solo of all Effing time. There is not a better guitarist anywhere.

Zappa and Clapton and knopfler. seen them all no one compares to Eddie solo.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

its all subjective but i cant agree.
i can think of many players and many solos i prefer over anything eddie has done

eddie is on the same level as herman li for me....waaaaaaaaaaaay down the list

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I got a drink in my hand I got my toes in the sand all i need is a beautiful girl.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mugly

its all subjective but i cant agree.
i can think of many players and many solos i prefer over anything eddie has done

eddie is on the same level as herman li for me....waaaaaaaaaaaay down the list

I do admit a bias to Eddie, I have loved Van Halen since I was 12 lol. But way down the list is just insulting not to many guitarist are household names..

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

i got tongue cancer and i still smoke and do blow and treat my wife like shizz

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   

in my opinion it is the truth.
for me, it is not about being a household name. popularity or sales.
it is about how you handle the instrument and the theory behind it

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   

in my opinion it is the truth.
for me, it is not about being a household name. popularity or sales.
it is about how you handle the instrument and the theory behind it

Agree to disagree
Maybe if you went to the show I saw dropped the same amount of ### and smoked the same amount of ## I did you would feel the same way.

Because he FU#### rocked that sh##..

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   

i got tongue cancer and i still smoke and do blow and treat my wife like shizz

I dont care about any of that.. Im in it for the music and the music only. No one is perfect at there personal life..

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I was never a big fan of DLR either but at the time of the bands commercial success he was well...the front man and everyone seemed to deal with it. I believe DLR and his ego got in the way of the bands further success and that it was a wise decision to change to Hagar when they did and it was a good mix but all those ego's meshed in different directions and destroyed what they did have. Drugs and alcohol played a part in the demise and side line ventures or business finished it both on Hagars part and Michael Anthony's.

To their credit the Van Halen brothers always gave credit, both musical and writing to Michael when a lot of bands would have done otherwise. Why they are still dinging him today is a mystery and I still think it is all associated with the business end as well as personalities of the "family" members involved that were driving forces to the whole issue.

The performance by DLR was really not good and I chalk it up to DLR thinking he is still it and needing no rehearsal or anything just spoiled what could have been a great music moment. Eddie is a great guitarist, no doubt and may lack the skills in theory but he was always the master of the Jam Session or live shows anyway.

Hagar does have a great voice still and has done some great things, glad to see that he and Michael are working together and have been since the debacle that broke them all up. I think it is just a jealous streak the Eddie has about the business end that ruined it all for them and that there really isnt bad blood just feelings hurt and listening to the wrong people, all you need to do is listen to all of them together and know they all made great contributions to music

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

Where do put Knopfler? That guy is ridiculous too..

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   

agree to disagree.

maybe though, if you were not tuned up you would have felt different.

its all good. music is subjective and thats why it rules

top topics

<<   2 >>

join