It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Warn Sun Will "Go to Sleep" in 2030, Could Cause Temperatures to Plummet

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
This whole climate thing is getting really hard to keep up with ?

That's the point.

First it was Global warming..then, climate change, now it's a mini ice age on the way.

Don't rush out and invest in nuclear energy just yet though.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: zatara

There is no possible way to turn Jupiter or Saturn into a star. They do not have the mass or density required.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

The Antarctic was not where it was when it was green. This was over long before man entered the scene and likely will not reoccur until man is gone.

So what is your point? Things change?

As a species with a global society emerging (hoping it's not the NWO) we are not concerned with eons, we are concerned as of this year. (Can't do much with the past.) Our most advanced ecological thinkers only went out 150 years (Ameri-Indians' seven generations) when issuing guidance in how to maintain a healthy respect for the world in order to survive ourselves.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
a reply to: zatara

There is no possible way to turn Jupiter or Saturn into a star. They do not have the mass or density required.

All you need is a few million rectangular blocks that sink to the planet's core and energize their super gravity settings...all you need really.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

Even if you were to somehow manipulate the gravity of Jupiter or Saturn, they don't have the amount of material needed to sustain fusion. It would burn out in no time.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: _BoneZ_

Is a Mini Ice Age on the Way? Scientists Warn Sun Will "Go to Sleep" in 2030, Could Cause Temperatures to Plummet

(Montage of images of solar activity between August 1991 and September 2001 taken by the Yohkoh Soft X-ray Telescope)

A new study claims to have cracked predicting solar cycles - and says that between 2030 and 2040 solar cycles will cancel each other out.

This, they say, will lead to a phenomenon known as the 'Maunder minimum' - which has previously been known as a mini ice age when it hit between 1646 and 1715, even causing London's River Thames to freeze over.

The new model of the Sun's solar cycle is producing unprecedentedly accurate predictions of irregularities within the Sun's 11-year heartbeat.

Predictions from the model suggest that solar activity will fall by 60 percent during the 2030s to conditions last seen during the 'mini ice age' that began in 1645, according to the results presented by Prof Valentina Zharkova at the National Astronomy Meeting in Llandudno.
Sources:
www.dailymail.co.uk...
astronomynow.com...
www.ras.org.uk...
www.sciencedaily.com...

It's going to get a might bit chilly around these parts here in another 15 years. Anyone think "global warming" will prevent the next "Maunder minimum"?

Seems that as of right now, the sun is in a state of high activity, which will cause some high temperatures until this current sun cycle ends around 2020.

I guess we'll soon see how truly accurate (97% accuracy they say) these new models actually are.

like the mini ice age that they predicted in the 70s and/or 80s for the early 2000s that never came?

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace

Even if you were to somehow manipulate the gravity of Jupiter or Saturn, they don't have the amount of material needed to sustain fusion. It would burn out in no time.

Not if you use the rectangular blocks with the super-gravity settings that also have the inter-dimensional teleportation functions...it's then a simple case of setting gravity to incrementally increase, while teleporting matter in from the other side of the system.

Blimey...amateurs!

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I stand in awe of your technological prowess. The prime directive should prevent you from saving mankind...

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_
Interesting reading. But I don't think the sun will 'go to sleep' . The RAS nor the report from the meeting it quotes says 'little ice age'. It does say it will have the properties of a Maunder Minimum.

In Europe, examples of very cold winters are 1683-4, 1694-5, and the winter of 1708–9.[13] In such years, River Thames frost fairs were held. However the Thames ceased to freeze in the 19th century largely because the removal
of the "Old" (medieval) London Bridge in 1825 dramatically increased the river's flow into the Pool of London. The original 800–900 feet (240–270 m) bridge stood upon 19 irregularly spaced arches that were set into the river bed on large starlings.
It acted as a weir holding back the slack upstream waters from the tidal brackish, salt water downstream. The construction of Thames Embankment (began 1862) further increased the river's hydrological flow by narrowing the width of waterway through the centre of capital.

"Note that the term "Little Ice Age" applied to the Maunder minimum is something of a misnomer as it implies a period of unremitting cold (and on a global scale), which is not the case. For example, the coldest winter in the Central England Temperature record is
1683-4, but the winter just 2 years later (both in the middle of the Maunder minimum) was the fifth warmest in the whole 350-year CET record. Furthermore, summers during the Maunder minimum were not significantly different to those seen in subsequent years.
The drop in global average temperatures in paleoclimate reconstructions at the start of the Little Ice Age was between about 1560 and 1600, whereas the Maunder minimum began almost 50 years later."

source

Mod Note:

The use of tags on quotes from outside sources is mandatory, please review this linked thread.

edit on 7/11/2015 by Blaine91555 because: Edited for failure to use mandatory tags on quote.

edit on Sat Jul 11 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: ex tags added to beginning of quote

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
a reply to: Greathouse

People don't realize that climates change. Antarctica was once green. Now it's not.

Right According to Admiral Richard E Byrd
He said that Antarctica was once tropical .. and had a lot of Life onto it

and has Unbelievable mass amount of OIL & Coal on Antarctica

He said this on the Longines Chronoscope

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

This reminded me of A****'s 2036 prediction!

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
Interesting reading. But I don't think the sun will 'go to sleep' . The RAS nor the report from the meeting it quotes says 'little ice age'. It does say it will have the properties of a Maunder Minimum.

In Europe, examples of very cold winters are 1683-4, 1694-5, and the winter of 1708–9.[13] In such years, River Thames frost fairs were held. However the Thames ceased to freeze in the 19th century largely because the removal
of the "Old" (medieval) London Bridge in 1825 dramatically increased the river's flow into the Pool of London. The original 800–900 feet (240–270 m) bridge stood upon 19 irregularly spaced arches that were set into the river bed on large starlings.
It acted as a weir holding back the slack upstream waters from the tidal brackish, salt water downstream. The construction of Thames Embankment (began 1862) further increased the river's hydrological flow by narrowing the width of waterway through the centre of capital.

"Note that the term "Little Ice Age" applied to the Maunder minimum is something of a misnomer as it implies a period of unremitting cold (and on a global scale), which is not the case. For example, the coldest winter in the Central England Temperature record is
1683-4, but the winter just 2 years later (both in the middle of the Maunder minimum) was the fifth warmest in the whole 350-year CET record. Furthermore, summers during the Maunder minimum were not significantly different to those seen in subsequent years.
The drop in global average temperatures in paleoclimate reconstructions at the start of the Little Ice Age was between about 1560 and 1600, whereas the Maunder minimum began almost 50 years later."

source

Mod Note:

The use of tags on quotes from outside sources is mandatory, please review this linked thread.

(It's all the same source, and it is tagged. It just didn't all end up in the box. No one looked to see it was all the same source?)

Note that the term "Little Ice Age" applied to the Maunder minimum is something of a misnomer as it implies a period of unremitting cold (and on a global scale), which is not the case. For example, the coldest winter in the Central England Temperature record is
1683-4, but the winter just 2 years later (both in the middle of the Maunder minimum) was thefifth warmest in the whole 350-year CET record. Furthermore, summers during the Maunder minimum were not significantly different to those seen in subsequent years.
edit on 11-7-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: zatara

If our star is going to cool down there is reason enough to use our failsafe and find a way to light up one of our gas giants.. We beter start working the problem now...

You would have to drop all of the debri around jupiter into it first. Then its moons. And then once ignition occurs shield the earth from the blast wave.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   
scientist warn, we cannot predict the future.
2030 you say? luckily the singularity will be happening right around that time to save us maybe.

also I like how antarctica is derailing this thread, cant tell if troll or fail

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: glend
a reply to: Harvin

I agree nothing is certain and we certainly shouldn't fear death because thats inescapable but by same token people buy house insurance, fire insurance etc to protect themselves from hardships. If FEMA is spending billions each year on dehydrated foods then perhaps we should consider doing the same, as a type of insurance. We cannot presume FEMA supplies are for the general public, they might be reserves to keep the government and armed services fed.

The Blaze now sells the only home food freeze dryer, only $3000. ONLY, huh.

According to Al Gore people are heating up the earth quite well.
We would only need to fine people for not burning wood in their fireplaces.
And ban electric cars.
Ban solar energy.
Dig up more coal.
And produce more farting cows.
Then, according to the Global Warming "Experts" theories, we should be able to counteract the ice age.

edit on 6Sat, 11 Jul 2015 18:12:37 -0500pm71107pmk116 by grandmakdw because: addition

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

I wish it would. I'm sweating my ass off here.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Ah the British, (take note of the .uk domains) always defenders of the oil paradigm. Anyway the Maunder minimum (according to Wikipedia) means a minimum in sunspot activity, not solar output:

Maunder Minimum

A significant measure of solar output is in terms of Watts of power received on earth (average) / square meters, this has varied less than 0.2% in the last 400 years:

Solar Constant

So we see that the solar output parameter critical to the production of sufficient solar energy to meet all demands varies very little over hundreds of years.

This is good news, this implies that investment in a massive solar panel array is indeed rational with long term benefits. It will create millions of jobs for people around the world for decades and it will make the U.S. completely energy independent. We won't need to go around the world "whoring" for oil.

So indeed the era of oil is over.
edit on 11-7-2015 by deloprator20000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   
We have no idea, how the sun works but we can make a prediction about what it is going to do in 15-25 years...

I am living one day at a time, grateful for each one I get.

I also have enough things to be concerned about than scientists acting like they understand something they do not...

Maybe I am just getting old, but I am just not to interested in this story, and indeed all this climate change horse crap is getting hard to keep up with..

This is my opinion we have no idea, how or what reality is, or how it works, until we figure it out, which I doubt we will in this generation, let us stop trying to politicize things we do not understand..

As for the Environment, I agree we need to take care of it, but when people start telling me I am causing global warming because I am alive, and we need to tax the air, that crap just pisses me off and makes me shake my head..

The irony, about that last part I wrote, is more and more people think WE are the cause for the weird weather patterns or the strange things that happen in the universe etc.

edit on b432015-07-11T22:43:30-05:00America/Chicago73176 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: jellyrev
scientist warn, we cannot predict the future.
2030 you say? luckily the singularity will be happening right around that time to save us maybe.

also I like how antarctica is derailing this thread, cant tell if troll or fail

well the breakaways are to leave by 2036 at the latest so maybe they will take some of us and the rest are out of luck.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join