It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Warn Sun Will "Go to Sleep" in 2030, Could Cause Temperatures to Plummet

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: glend
The deaths caused from hunger during the period called the Little Ice Age gives a clue to the potential damage another LIA will cause. We no longer have the wildlife to feed a hungry world so if the worlds crops fail we could be facing something like a 50% reduction in the worlds population.

That'll sure fix the CO2 issue.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Yes and also help bring down home prices. But when? The diminishing umbral magnetic fields were mapped by Livingston and Penn some 15 years back, They projected that when the magnetic strength falls is below 1500 gauss we wouldn't see any-more sunspots, they projected that would occur between 2013 and 2017.

But latter surveys of umbral magnetic fields suggest that the trend has tampered off a bit so we might see the game of thrones series completed before winter actually comes.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Glad the scientists have thought of yet another bs prediction.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

Living in the lower desert, I would welcome such an event. I'm tired of living in this oppresive heat.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Yes and also help bring down home prices. But when?

There's an apoky-clypse movie in here somewhere.

The "fall of man" montage at the end of act 2 should include a lot of frozen people in NYC (some touching scenes, some typical thuggery), hunger-maddened people chopping each other up with machetes in the South as the snow piles up, fighting over the remnant groceries of a gutted Piggly Wiggly, and dying elephants in Africa huddling together in their first and last freezing rain, all tied together with Satchmo singing "What a wonderful world".

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Many sources tell that FEMA over past years have stockpiled large quantities of ready-to-eat meals, blankets, and body bags whilst Homeland Security has been stocking up on massive amounts of ammunition, firearms, and riot gear. The question is why?

Rug up.

Why? Because it is part of the function it is supposed to perform. We know more about disasters now and really we know more about so many things and even in the past 10 to 20 years we have better computers, better optics, better imagers etc. This also leads to some apprehension and paranoia and especially to lay people making web videos.

Anything can happen, but at the same time every generation thinks and has thought it is going to happen in their lifetime. The truth is that every human has their own apocalypse and that is called death…which i actually think plays a part in these types of things or fears.

When i watch these videos of people examining images from SOHO etc. and claim “oh, this is not good” or “this is not normal” and then they dont consider that um…yeah, it is probably very normal it is just that you have nothing to compare it to since you cannot go back and look at data from decades or centuries ago because it does not exist.

I would say any predicitons like the OP are just basically guesses and at the same time I am not one that believes that everything has a cycle because there is too much evidence that NO not everything has a cycle and is playing by some neat set of rules that you can set your watch to.

Sure, the sun may have a short term cycle and goes through slight changes but that is more like a menstrual cycle.

Edit: That was an attempt at humour and am referring to the solar minimums and maximums.
edit on 11-7-2015 by Harvin because: Clarification

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Harvin

I agree nothing is certain and we certainly shouldn't fear death because thats inescapable but by same token people buy house insurance, fire insurance etc to protect themselves from hardships. If FEMA is spending billions each year on dehydrated foods then perhaps we should consider doing the same, as a type of insurance. We cannot presume FEMA supplies are for the general public, they might be reserves to keep the government and armed services fed.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Well, the only thing left to do is. . . . raise taxes and reduce freedoms!

That'll solve all our problems!

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
a reply to: Greathouse

People don't realize that climates change. Antarctica was once green. Now it's not.

Well, that was when Antarctica wasn't the south pole.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   
global warming + ice age = everything is fine.

but as they can't even predict the weekend's weather acvurately i wouldn't take anything seriously that's more than one day ahead.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 03:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

Yes and also help bring down home prices. But when?

There's an apoky-clypse movie in here somewhere.

The "fall of man" montage at the end of act 2 should include a lot of frozen people in NYC (some touching scenes, some typical thuggery), hunger-maddened people chopping each other up with machetes in the South as the snow piles up, fighting over the remnant groceries of a gutted Piggly Wiggly, and dying elephants in Africa huddling together in their first and last freezing rain, all tied together with Satchmo singing "What a wonderful world".

Shut up and take my money.
edit on 7/11/2015 by admirethedistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a reply to: glend
I think the answer is obvious why. Its just prudent planing. Winter is coming after all. And between that and then, there is likely to be a lot of little hiccups as the populations thin down and all kind of things break down....Or it could be more nothing, wait around till 2030 and see.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Weather and climate are not the same thing.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: anticitizen

See my above post.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

I can see what you mean, but I really think that it is best to look at climate in the following manner.

We see colour because our eyes process optical data using receptors for red, green, and blue. The mix of wavelengths hitting the eye and being translated, is what determines the colour that we interpret a thing as being.

However, we seem not to apply similar logic to our observations of climate, and the changes that occur in it. There are many factors driving changes in our climate, and although there appears some question, some argument as to the degree to which any human action affects climate, that climate changes is not in question. It is necessary to look at ALL factors affecting our climate and take all of them into account when theorising about the future.

A future temperature model which leaves out the sun would be totally inadequate, and relying on a model which ignores pollution levels would be foolish, and leaving out the effects of geothermal activity would result in massive inaccuracies. Looking at all of the many factors driving climate change, just like using all the photoreceptors in ones eyes, is the only way to get proper clarity on such a complicated subject.

As to the subject matter relating specifically to the OP, I am interested to see what happens when twenty thirty comes around, because if this solar activity prediction is accurate, it could result in a very difficult time being had by a great many people all over the world. It will be something to look out for, and prepare for. I personally love cold weather, and do very well in it, but I know that many people feel very differently, and will be prone to the extreme dangers posed by extremely low temperatures.

I hope that data taken from solar observatories will result in better preparedness on the part of global and national powers and charities to mitigate for the worst of the cold weather on behalf of those who have no power to positively affect their situation, as I am sure that there will be folk out there unable to heat their homes, unable to feed themselves or travel to stores for supplies if the weather gets very bad.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: grimpachi

Jerusalem is called the 'Navel of the Earth'...

to me with this graphic of "Pangea"...the modern nation at the visual 'belly button' local would be either Algeria or perhaps even France (depending if looking at a Pangea head on...or looking at Pangea at a sideways angle)

...But in either viewing angle Israel/Jerusalem would Not be the 'Navel' area, scrotum perhaps but not the Navel of the World...

Pangea, must not have had different ocean currents, those only came after something broke up the land mass into a dozen or more tectonic plates who then spread apart (asteroid?)
edit on th31143661100911362015 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Pretty interesting that they went with the "double dynamo" model...even more interesting is that it's accurate.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
It's HAARP I tell you...

Someone had to say it.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Sounds about normal for Scotland anyway

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

Those types of changes happen over hundreds of thousands of years not a single hundred years. Big difference in scope.

Not always so. Cooling periods have been entered into rather abruptly at times in the past. Not always, but sometimes. A much shorter time period than a century, too. Try days or hours, in some instances.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join