It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Training evangelical pastors to be politicians

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: mahatche

Relax.

As a whiskey-swilling, foul-mouthed, chain-smoking Christian, I'm equally as screwed.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Which is why we should avoid denying this line of thinking exists. Making people aware of it while they attempt to gain power, is easier than taking the power from them once they already have it. The denials Ketsuko is making toward their very existence is dangerous.

This country has been run by people claiming they are Christians forever, I have never had a problem with rational Christians having their say, but we should all do our part to make sure the people who believe they are kings anointed by god to transfer the end times wealth never get their chance to do that.
edit on 07am11am312015-07-12T11:18:29-05:0011America/Chicago by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

But we are held by one simple thing.

The electorate will vote for whom best represents them. If the majority wants a bible-thumping, doomie, then that's who we'll get.

The electorate chose a lying narcissist last time. And the senate is filled with hundreds of the same.

We get the leadership we deserve.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
which is why we should do our best to convince them that these aren't the people that best represent them.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Breaking The Bedrock Of America – Why The Family Unit Is Being Deliberately Destroyed

There's no history on this writer. He's just a guy with an opinion like the rest of us.

Any particular reason he calls it the Rainbow Creed?

The family unit is great when it works. But, the "Good Old Days"? It was gender based. Mom took care of kids and home, even if she worked. Dad pretty much lived a separate life. Idealism is a nice word.

His (no info website): www.christopherjgreen.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

There's no history on this writer. He's just a guy with an opinion like the rest of us.

So what's wrong with an "opinion" on a "conspiracies in religions" forum ???

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

US citizens have been fed so much propaganda about cult motivations. Most can't tell the difference anymore between theories and propaganda. Good catch.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: Annee

So what's wrong with an "opinion" on a "conspiracies in religions" forum ???

Just making it clear.

He's presenting himself as a Historian and writer, but offers no history of himself.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
this isnt new. every group trains their best and brightest to represent their hopes in the future.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: Logarock
I would have to say that the the belief system that is predominating washington now is the belief in the all mighty dollar and the power it can bestow on those who seek it...

I agree and would add that it is what is truly worshiped by many (not all but a substantial majority) christians. They have believed those who preach that wealth is a sign of 'righteousness' and poverty a sign of 'sin'.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
If the churches are a political party now, should they not be taxed? If I were a christian I would be more worried about going to Hell for disobeying the commandments of Jesus. How is forcing people to live your way changing hearts and spreading the good news?

Wonderful point - I ran across many sites addressed to Pastors and Ministers covering the subject and how to circumvent:

To be tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, an organization must be organized and operated exclusively for exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3), and none of its earnings may inure to any private shareholder or individual.

In addition, it may not be an action organization, i.e., it may not attempt to influence legislation as a substantial part of its activities and it may not participate in any campaign activity for or against political candidates.

www.irs.gov...&-Non-Profits/Charitable-Organizations/Exemption-Requirements-Section-501(c)(3)-Organizations

They often couch their political preaching in these terms:

18. May religious organizations become involved in voter education?

Yes. Religious organizations may educate voters about the issues and about candidates’ positions on the issues. However, voter education activities must be free from bias for or against any candidate or political party.34

www.pewforum.org...

Look Up church rights to find the considerable literature available on ways to adhere to the letter and not the spirit of the law. A real good way to model christian behavoir.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

originally posted by: MOMof3
If the churches are a political party now, should they not be taxed? If I were a christian I would be more worried about going to Hell for disobeying the commandments of Jesus. How is forcing people to live your way changing hearts and spreading the good news?

Wonderful point - I ran across many sites addressed to Pastors and Ministers covering the subject and how to circumvent:

To be tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, an organization must be organized and operated exclusively for exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3), and none of its earnings may inure to any private shareholder or individual.

In addition, it may not be an action organization, i.e., it may not attempt to influence legislation as a substantial part of its activities and it may not participate in any campaign activity for or against political candidates.

www.irs.gov...&-Non-Profits/Charitable-Organizations/Exemption-Requirements-Section-501(c)(3)-Organizations

They often couch their political preaching in these terms:

18. May religious organizations become involved in voter education?

Yes. Religious organizations may educate voters about the issues and about candidates’ positions on the issues. However, voter education activities must be free from bias for or against any candidate or political party.34

www.pewforum.org...

Look Up church rights to find the considerable literature available on ways to adhere to the letter and not the spirit of the law. A real good way to model christian behavoir.

I'm not Christian, but I fail too see the problem with an organization teaching it's members how to stay within the letter of the law while still doing the best they can to achieve their goals. EVERY organization does that be it charitable or political or whatever.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Relax.

As a whiskey-swilling, foul-mouthed, chain-smoking Christian, I'm equally as screwed.

sounds like a pretty lazy christian to me.

but im even lazier, so...

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

FyreByrd:
I just saw your post about how 501c3 organizations have to operate....
thank you for that.

Seems to me there's a huge conflict, right there.

edit on 7/12/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

life is conflict. conflict is the heat that tempers the steel and the stone that grinds the edge. without conflict, reality would be a giant piece of flab.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

without conflict, reality would be a giant piece of flab.

When I first read this, I thought it said "a giant piece of FAB". heh.

Still - FyreByrd posted the law about how churches are supposed to behave in terms of influencing legislation.
That was what I'd asked about.

So - they're NOT supposed to do whatever it is they're trying to do.

edit on 7/12/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
And here's another, even more direct Q/A:

3. Are religious organizations singled out by the political campaign intervention prohibition in the Internal Revenue Code?

No. All organizations that are recognized as exempt from federal income tax under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code are subject to the prohibition against political campaign intervention.

Thus religious organizations are not treated more harshly than schools, hospitals, social services agencies, colleges and universities, scientific organizations, museums or other charitable organizations exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the code.

None of these organizations may intervene in political campaigns.

www.pewforum.org...

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

And they don't.

Or do they?

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

whut?

xuen....
that is exactly what they are doing.

Did you miss the previous quote I requoted, from FyreByrd?

edit on 7/12/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: sigh. Format for the hard of reading comprehension.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Who are the 501(c)(3)'s doing the direct political involvement?

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join