It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

lox

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
ever have this?

ive never heard of it till now.

i got a bunch of gift cards from restaurant.com.
i signed up for a wholesale club and they gave me 50 bucks for that site.

anyway, i picked my spot. gonna go tomorrow and gonna get lox.

en.wikipedia.org...

Lox is a fillet of brined salmon. Traditionally, lox is served on a bagel with cream cheese, and is usually garnished with tomato, sliced red onion, and sometimes capers.

thats what im talking about. gonna demolish that

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

I guessed correctly in that it's what is also known as gravlax, in the UK and maybe US it's also smoked afterwards.

The best stuff is either wild or the stuff you make yourself.

Get some fresh salmon and pack it in salt, sugar and as much dill as you can get your hands on, leech of the juice and repack daily for three or four days.

It's simply sublime.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
its really good. eastern European food.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Yup, had it.
Lax, as we Swedes say (salmon or lox to you), has a long Swedish tradition, either hot smoked or "gravad" (sorry, brainfreeze on it's English translation).....
I like most Swedish fish dishes, however lax/lox isn't one of them - it has a "wierd" taste I think.......

Bon appétit tho................

edit on 7102015 by BobbyRock because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   

It's very good. A traditional food back where I come from. Although I like the untreated version even more (like sushi style salmon).

Try it on bread (maybe rye?), with mustard and/or mayo. Maybe some capers. It's also really good with new potatoes.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
We used to have lox lota when I was a kid. It was made from salted salmon, potatoes, and onions. It was good. I can't find salted salmon around anymore, it used to come in a wood tub. It was sort of like scalped potatoes and smoked ham. They had the unsmoked version also but it was harder to find. They had mackeral in the plastic crocks too, but that was an aged and salted product. Lots of flavor but I thought it was overly strong.

I usually have salted codfish in the fridge, it comes in a one lb. wood box. That stuff is a tasty medicine, if your feeling weakly, just have a bit of it.
edit on 10-7-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

lox and bagels...my favorite breakfast.

I like salmon in any fashion, really....but smoked lox....

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

thats what i am getting tomorrow.
lox on a bagel with cream cheese. a little lettuce and mater on the side.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Enjoy it. Lox isn't my favorite, but it's OK. I prefer my salmon either cooked or raw.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
We used to have lox lota when I was a kid. It was made from salted salmon, potatoes, and onions. It was good. I can't find salted salmon around anymore, it used to come in a wood tub. It was sort of like scalped potatoes and smoked ham. They had the unsmoked version also but it was harder to find. They had mackeral in the plastic crocks too, but that was an aged and salted product. Lots of flavor but I thought it was overly strong.

I usually have salted codfish in the fridge, it comes in a one lb. wood box. That stuff is a tasty medicine, if your feeling weakly, just have a bit of it.

Lox lota? You must be of scandinavian descent?

Because we have something called "laxlåda" and it's pronounced the same, containing salmon, potato and onion (and other stuff).

Edit: Sometimes fish is aged for a long time, but the modern, self caught and prepared version of the "gravlax" mentioned earlier will only be seasoned and salted for a little while, like a day or what not. "Catch it today, eat it tomorrow." That kind of thing.
edit on 10-7-2015 by Subnatural because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Don't forget bagels, whipped cream cheese, some super super thin slices of red onion and a little sprig of fresh dill.
Heat a bagel in the oven instead of a toaster so the outside gets crisp while the inside stays soft and chewy.
Spread with cream cheese add a thin layer of lox a bit of the onion and a bit of the dill. Press top of bagel down and cut in half with a sharp knife.
Enjoy

Or

www.foodnetwork.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Lox most often is cured salmon while in some circles it is the smoked kind.
I cure salmon with brown sugar and kosher salt for three days.
Then I rinse the fish and put it in a cool smoker at 275° for a half hour to an hour. Depends on thickness of the fish. This is a quick version to long cold smoke or longer curing.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 06:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Enjoy it. Lox isn't my favorite, but it's OK. I prefer my salmon either cooked or raw.

If it's not cooked, and it's not raw, what is it?

You can hot smoke the salmon to be cooked too

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   
If you can track some down get the cold smoked variety over the hot smoked. The flavor is much more intense.

There is a large Orthodox population in my home town so there are plenty of Kosher delis in the area.

top topics

join