It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marijuana Study Counters 'Gateway' Theory

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Here's my take on it. Jimmy buys pot from his dealer. Jimmy's dealer gets zanny bars and oxy. Jimmy now has access to those etc etc. so jimmy starting out with pot has just opened him up to more hardcore drugs that he now has easy access too.

I think all drugs should be legal. That's just the correlation I see from personal experience.
edit on 11-7-2015 by avgguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

my take on your take is you are very wrong.
yup

didnt know all these dealers operated drug bazaars

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Marijuana gateway:

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Personal experience is anecdotal at best when discussing this kind of data. At the end of the day it comes down to choices. Jimmy may have access to different drugs but that doesn't mean he's going to make that choice.

edit on pSat, 11 Jul 2015 10:14:37 -0500201511America/Chicago2015-07-11T10:14:37-05:0031vx7 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Jimmy can now jump on Tor go on a few black market sites and buy any drug you could think of. Delivered to his home by the postman

(post by Morningglory removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Morningglory
POST REMOVED BY STAFF
You pretty much hit the nail. there is another factor someone here mentioned to deal with the core reason why people depend on drugs or other habits. Some are depressed, vulnerable bored etc...
this is the core problem; the reason people begin to drink or do drugs in the first place. Why psychologists ignore this is beyond me. because they arent dealing with the core of the problem. They are worsening it by keeping people distracted away from the real cause.

So I'd say, the real gateway is the state of mind people are at at the beginning of drug use or habits. People will do anything no matter how absurd to get away from problems, stress and pain. Anything can be an escape, this includes overeating, excessive video game play. Even a job can fit the role, hence the word "Workaholics".

edit on Sat Jul 11 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

(post by C21H30O2I removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

A reminder...

Personal use of pot and other illicit drugs is not allowed on ATS.

Those who continue to post their usage anecdotes may face further post removals and temporary Posting Bans.

16e.) Illicit Activity: Discussion of illicit activities, specifically the use of mind-altering drugs & substances, engaging in computer hacking, promoting criminal hate, discussing sexual relations with minors, and furtherance of financial schemes and scams are strictly forbidden. You will also not link to sites or online content that contains discussion or advocacy of such material. Any Post mentioning or advocating personal use of illicit mind-altering drugs will result in immediate account termination.

i) Narcotics and illicit mind-altering substances, legal or otherwise: discussing personal use or personal experiences as the result of such substances is not allowed in any form.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The argument that people move on from marijuana to harder drugs for a stronger high is wrong. You can smoke enough marijuana to become unconscious if you want to. You cannot get any higher than smoking yourself unconscious. Other drugs have a completely different type of effect than marijuana. It's like saying that once people learn how to drive a car they'll eventually 'move up' to a crotch rocket and drive 175 mph all the time. Of course some people do and that's never gonna change but most people are satisfied with a sedan because it gets you where you want to go relatively safely.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Kuroodo

,,,,,,aNd that clean air, next thing you want to breathe it all the time!

Water? Water is the worse....maybe not....there's mothers' milk.....Gateway stuff dominates our beings!!!!!

Your statement is disputed by the studies cited. You have no citations. As a peer (I am an exceedingly ignorant man.) you have been reviewed and found wanting.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Edit...Meh,don't want to break the T&C..

edit on 11-7-2015 by greydaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Exactly. If anything the TRUE gateway drugs are either alcohol or tobacco. People always start with those first anyways.

It seems things are changing...

As example my sons ex-friend was a B student, great in sports, all round good guy. He went to live with his Grandma for 2 years and started to smoke pot since she does it. He is now F student, dropped out of all sports, has started to smoke cigarettes and lately is boasting that he steals liquor from the local Safe Way. Went from a popular guy to one that everyone now stays away from.

Your point being? All you've proven is that you judge people's worth based on their acceptance by others. Sounds to me like this guy may know some things you dont.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: SoulSurfer

Please accept my most humble apology, slinks off to corner.

Thought hard about posting, should've thought a bit harder. Not everyone lives where I do.

I meant no disrespect, I just got carried away trying to prove a point.

I agree with you it's less about the gateway, more about the gatekeeper.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Here's my take on it. Jimmy buys pot from his dealer. Jimmy's dealer gets zanny bars and oxy. Jimmy now has access to those etc etc. so jimmy starting out with pot has just opened him up to more hardcore drugs that he now has easy access too.
That doesn't mean that Jimmy is going to say" you know what? I want to try zanex. He very well might, but, as others have already pointed out, that's something he is already predisposed to do. And, aside from being the reason that Jimmy knows the drug dealer, pot has nothing at all to do with that choice. The real 'gateway' here is Jimmy's friend, who introduced him to marijuana and who may or may not have something to say to Jimmy on this matter.
edit on 11-7-2015 by 5leepingWarrior because: Clarification

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
##snipped## Clean all the prisons out of people who been arrested for mary jane. But IF a person has an addictive nature it is a gateway drug. Then again most things are for an addict.

edit on Sun Jul 12 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: Terms and Conditions of Use--Please Review

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
When you grow up you usually know the people that are gonna go on to harder drugs. They are usually in the party scene and are drinkers that happen to smoke weed. I can spot an addictive personality from a mile away. Can we talk about prescription pills like xanax? Now that is the real gateway drug. Prescription pills are what get people into doing heroin and coc aine not weed. Weed is a totally different feeling no one wants to snort coke after smoke a joint come on 2 different feelings one mellows you out the other makes you a hyperactive asshole.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Moral of story addictive personalities with try ALL THE DRUGS. So lumping weed with the rest is silly

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kuroodo
It is a gateway drug, but not in the sense that the drug does it.

People take Marijuana, they got high, they like it. Some people like the high and want to go to the next level. That is when other drugs start coming in.

It's not in the sense that the drug does it, it's just indirectly influences you to do it and want it. Of course not everyone who smokes weed runs off and does other drugs. It's all how who the person is and how they are mentally. But it would be the same thing if someone took a different drug.

So actually, ALL drugs are gateway drugs. Most people who take a drug will want to experience the next level of a high. So they run off and take other drugs. Though there are some drugs that actually affect your mind in negative ways and give you the sensation of want. The reason why people point at Marijuana directly are cause of misinformation or other BS reasons.

I guess though the study says your theory or opinion isnt true though. Most people dont go on to the next drug. If that were true the way you describe it most of the west would be using harder drugs if 2/3 of the population has tried marijuana. You shoukd hwve said some people not most people. Most people do not move on to stronger highs. Some people are genetically predisposed to addiction. Some people had bad parents but not most people.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join