It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spicy Noodle Egg Drop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
INGREDIENTS:
1 bag of ramen (cup of noodle preferred, spicy chicken flavor preferred)
3 to 3 & 1/2 cups of water
1 to 2 eggs
1tsp of salt
1tsp of pepper
1-2 shakes of cayenne pepper
(1 small canned chicken breast -- optional)

It's extremely easy to make an extremely awesome homemade egg drop soup. I like to start with a spicy chicken cup o' noodle and carefully peel the Styrofoam cup away, then putting the chunk of noodles in a plastic ziplock with any seasoning remnants. Then I take a rolling pin and carefully smash the noodles into bits, not too much, just to get them spoon-sized.

Ramen calls for 2 cups of water, but boil 3 to 3 & 1/2, depending on how soupy you'd like it. Simply boil the ramen noodle bits for a minute or two with the seasoning and extra veggie bits from the cup o' noodle. At that point, take it off of the heat, and immediately stir in 1 to 2 eggs, whisking vigorously. Then momentarily put back on medium high heat for maybe a minute, and stir in any extra seasonings (such as salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, soy sauce). I personally don't care for much soy sauce but to each their own.

Now you have a soupy, spicy, egg drop ramen soup you can eat with a spoon. If you want it reasonably spicy, add a single shake or two of cayenne pepper to it, since the flavor does get diluted by starting with extra water. By adding everything else listed, it turns into a flavorful soup.

If you like meat in it, you can add a small can of canned chicken breast, though I'd suggest mashing it up into stringy bits first, then adding it to the hot water right after the noodles are done but before you add the egg.

Edit: With the egg added, you're really turning a ramen into a nutrient-packed meal.

1 dozen eggs = $2
12 packs of ramen = $2.50
# of meals = 12, for $4.50
edit on 7/10/2015 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Try replacing the salt and water with chicken stock or chicken broth.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpaDe_
Try replacing the salt and water with chicken stock or chicken broth.

Hmmmph .. what about throwing half of a chicken bullion cube in there, if you didn't want the flavor too rich?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: r0xor

Allow me to riff.

Instead of using canned chicken.

Get an actual chicken breast and using your 3 to 3 1/2c of water, poach the chicken before cooling it and cubing it.

To poach, raise the heat of the cooking liquid to just under boiling. The surface should look like it's about to break into a boil. Then add the breast and let it simmer in there for 8 to 10 minutes.

Use the cooking liquid for your ramen liquid and cook the rest of way like you describe. Use your poached chicken for the canned chicken.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
To poach, raise the heat of the cooking liquid to just under boiling. The surface should look like it's about to break into a boil. Then add the breast and let it simmer in there for 8 to 10 minutes.

Use the cooking liquid for your ramen liquid and cook the rest of way like you describe. Use your poached chicken for the canned chicken.

Thank you for that,
I am a novice but only because I need to learn more.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

No worries. We were all novices once. My mom hated to cook, so I grew up on fast food. And my husband was a strict boiled meat and potatoes type of guy when I met him.

We've come a long way over the years and mostly taught ourselves.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

You could do that too, but be careful because most chicken bullion is loaded with MSG.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Allow me to riff.

Instead of using canned chicken.

Get an actual chicken breast and using your 3 to 3 1/2c of water, poach the chicken before cooling it and cubing it.

Sorry I'm late...but I just had to chime in

OPs recipe is an excellent poor man/SHTF meal!
All of the things listed are things that I keep on hand all the time...so BOOO on your riff.

But, also YAY on your riff! Cause now I wanna elevate Ramen Noodles even more than I have in the past.

Thank You!

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   

you had me till i read canned chicken breast.
uuugh
ketsuko's idea is better. 1 good sized breast should run you about the same as a can plus it will help create a stock.

when i do ramen all i do is add broccoli to it. drain out 90% of the liquid. its awesome and it fills you up.
big ass bag of frozen broccoli florets is only like 3 bucks and that gets you about 3lbs

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Spicy Egg Drop Noodle Soup, an ATSer after my own heart! I was once generously served a bowl that included Fish Tofu, delightful!!

top topics

join