It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Agency’s request for 52,000 rounds of ammo for Hoover Dam prompts inquiry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Interesting. The Feds love to stockpile ammo.

lasvegassun.com...

In a move that’s prompting questions about the stockpiling of weapons by the federal government’s nonmilitary agencies, the Bureau of Reclamation wants to buy 52,000 rounds of ammunition for use in law enforcement at Hoover Dam and Lake Mead.

After learning about the purchase request, Nevada Rep. Mark Amodei vowed to inquire with the bureau about its operations, number of officers carrying firearms and how much ammunition it uses, according Brian Baluta, a spokesman for Amodei.

Department officials declined to provide specific information to the Sun regarding details of the ammunition purchase request. “We want to limit the amount of information any bad guys might have about our protection capabilities,” said Rose Davis, a Bureau of Reclamation spokeswoman.

A review of federal procurement records by the Sun shows that the Bureau of Reclamation, best known for its management of Western waterways and dams, solicited bids in June for 41,600 rounds of hollow-point ammunition along with 10,400 rounds of shotgun ammunition.

The agency declined to say how many armed officers work at Hoover Dam and how many security threats it faces each year, but according to a 2008 review of federal law enforcement, the bureau had 21 officers patrolling Hoover Dam.

The bureau’s Boulder City office oversees the agency’s operations at Hoover Dam and the Lake Mead National Recreation Area, a vacation destination that sees more visitors than Yellowstone National Park every year.

The bureau works in conjunction on Hoover Dam security with the Department of Homeland Security, Metro Police and other law enforcement officials. The bureau's armed officers are “there for the protection of employees, visitors and the dam,” Davis said.

According to Davis, funds for the ammunition are drawn from revenues generated by utility companies that buy electricity from Hoover Dam, rather than from tax dollars.

The department’s request is likely to stir debate over the stockpiling of weapons and ammunition by nonmilitary federal agencies. The BLM faced questions last year over its role in an armed standoff with militia members supporting Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy’s refusal to pay more than a million dollars in back taxes and grazing fees.

Two months later, Amodei was one of 17 GOP congressmen to sponsor a bill that would have prevented certain agencies, like the Bureau of Reclamation, from using or purchasing weapons. That bill failed to pass.

The Bureau of Reclamation is not the only federal agency to have amassed weapons and ammunition — or to have faced controversy. In 2013, the Department of Homeland Security put out a bid to purchase more than 1 billion rounds of ammunition for its more than 100,000 law enforcement officials. That same year, agents from the Environmental Protection Agency inspected the offices of a mining company in Alaska while wearing body armor and carrying M16 rifles and shotguns, leading to an investigation by House lawmakers.

The most recent order is not the first time the Bureau of Reclamation has purchased large quantities of ammunition. Its last requisition was in 2013, according to federal purchasing records. Since 2008, the agency made at least 19 requests for ammunition at offices nationwide.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

They really do love to stockpile ammo. Weapons contracts are great for everyone involved, agencies get security and peace of mind and arms manufacturers get a piece of the cake.

Meanwhile, wtf is it all for? 52,000 rounds JUST for the Hoover Dam

I guess it IS the most-visited dam in the world, averaging around 7 million visitors a year. But what's all the ammo for? I would think they'd start with facial recognition software or more security personnel. Guess they'd rather just add to their weapons chests and be prepared to shoot enemies like fish in a barrel...

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Lets put that number into perspective for those who don't understand quarterly qualifications and range time. The average range time ammo usage is 4 30 round magazines in an AR platform for example. That is 120 rounds per range visit on average, on a quarterly basis. That equates out to roughly 108 guys training with that amount of ammo, and that doesn't include any additional ammo for standard practice.

52,000/4 = 13000/120 = 108.33~

Not such a scary number now is it?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

As if bullets would neutralize a threat to the hoover damn, pretty sure that's what NORAD is for.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: SpaDe_

LOL, In the Military We qualified Annually. Why are they throwing so much ammo down range?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Isn't there something about the new $50.00 bill that if folded a certain way shows the destruction of Hoover damn?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

The FBI requires their agents to train at least quarterly and qualify twice a year, I believe. Maybe once a year, I don't know what it is now.

Their course of fire is 60 rounds.

My agency requires quarterly training and annual qualification. Our course of fire is 60 rounds.

So there's that.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Qualified annually, but how much range time was required, and how much range time did you spend practicing? 4 range trips annually for 108 guys still seems very reasonable to me.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   

There are lots of 'average joes' who keep quantities like that around.

Usually see them in Walmart every Tuesday morning.

Scary to some, practical to others.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Every time with this. Government ammo contracts do not work like hey here are X amount of dollars now send us X amount of rounds. They are contracts to buy up to X amount of ammo over X amount of years at a set price. They are not buying that much ammo, they are not stockpiling it but, over the course of several years they have a locked in price to buy ammo so they can do budgets. If the for some reason need more than a new contact is set but, you can bet that price will go up.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Maybe I missed it, but where did you get 108 guys from? The OP says 21. Secondly, unless it is part of some kind of varmint control, I can't see 10000 shotgun rounds going out the door annually for any real reason.

I'm not saying the numbers are outrageous, but the taxpayer does not need to fund a gun club. If they want to go blow through a bunch of rounds just for kicks, they can do that on their own time and dime. It doesn't take that much range time to keep yourself capable.
edit on 10-7-2015 by Halfswede because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Halfswede

There's a world of difference between "capable" and "proficient."

Personally I would rather anybody in law enforcement be in the "more than likely will hit the target" category as opposed to the "meh...might, might not. Here's hoping" category.

And for what it's worth, taking quarterly qualification for 21 guys firing a 60 round course of fire one time each adds up to over 5,000 rounds. That's with no practice sessions, no practice runs, no training period, just one single shoot for qualification four times a year.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

you missed the fact that their last ammunition order was in 2013 - just for context - how many rounds did they order then

it is relevant

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Who practices with 41,600 rounds of hollow point ammunition?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Seamrog

they (walmart) stopped selling ammunition a couple of years ago didn't they?
seems like it was reported online already

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   
When I was in the Army, you qualified on the range with 40 rounds semi annually. You also got 40 rounds before that to 'practice' before the actual qualification. So a soldier would get a minimum of 160 rounds to fire yearly.
I can see that order for a Reserve unit, but for 20 square badges?
Something's not right, unless they are getting ready for a real life Fallout: New Vegas scenario

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

LOL, In the Military We qualified Annually. Why are they throwing so much ammo down range?

It's their version of the million dollar minute. They're harkening back to the old days.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Perhaps this ammo purchase will be necessary to guard all that precious water...

I'm not surprised, considering where the Hoover dam is.

"Water, water.... water..... Please! Just one drink!"

top topics

join