It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's all pray this idea for hellish airplane seating never becomes a reality

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Silly patent of the day, but can't you just see the greedy airlines just salivating over this one?

So how long until we're all flying naked, sedated, and stood up like pencils in a box?

Is this tangled mass of limbs the future of flight?

Wired's Jordan Golson spotted this horrifying recent patent from Zodiac Seat France. It imagines a future in which the legs and arms of strangers on a connecting flight to Atlanta are constantly grazing one another.

The patent claims good intentions — the idea is to "increase cabin density while also creating seat units that increase the space available at the shoulder and arm area." The seats can be configured in other ways as well, though the most likely arrangement is the space-maximizing configuration seen in the drawing above. [Source]

Contrast this with: Hate flying? You'll be jealous of how luxurious air travel used to be

Just say no.

edit on 7/10/2015 by ~Lucidity because: typo, of course

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
The only time I felt like getting sick on a plane is when my seat was backwards. Not sure why, but flying with my back to the pilots just made me feel like crap. I hope these never catch on. What happens if a large person needs two seats next to each other? Sounds like a lawsuit to me.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~LuciditySo how long until we're all flying naked, sedated, and stood up like pencils in a box?

I've gotta be honest, that don't sound too bad. Apart from the naked part. lol

I can't stand the long flights. People coughing, people being loud. Just people in general. Being sedated would be a blessing in my eyes. lol

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

This has to be one of the dumbest ideas I have seen in a while.

What if the guy in the middle needs to take a leak ???

The current seating arrangements are bad enough.

Sad thing is some a hole probably got paid tons of money to think this up.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: SilentE

I was picturing a number of sci fi movies, like Fifth Element, and suddenly the idea of being trapped nude in a small room with a hot alien girl took over.

What was the topic?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: warpig69
The only time I felt like getting sick on a plane is when my seat was backwards. Not sure why, but flying with my back to the pilots just made me feel like crap. I hope these never catch on. What happens if a large person needs two seats next to each other? Sounds like a lawsuit to me.

You are not alone. Many people I know can not travel facing backwards on trains or in cars. They suffer from motion sickness much more if they are going backwards.
I always thought that the eyes and horizon were the cause, as the brain tries to unscramble the strange messages from the eyes, but others have also told me it is inner ear. I don't know the real reasons, just that it is a problem for some.
I think therefore that it would not take off (pun intended).

link   

I always get a chuckle how people blame the airlines for being greedy when they need to look in the mirror. Airlines are responding to what consumers demand - LOW TICKET PRICES.

Air travel has become a commodity and when consumers can just log on line and click the lowest fair what do you expect? It is a race to the bottom.

Air travel is exponentially cheaper than it used to be and so the airlines need to pack as many people into the capital asset as possible. I'm old enough to remember when people actually got dressed up to fly, now it looks like a greyhound bus terminal.

I used to travel 100k plus miles for business and now I won't fly if I can drive in 6 hours or less. I'd gladly pay a premium for better seating, but the reality of the market is that 95% of consumers won't. As a result, you have economy plus and first class being taken up by frequent flyers or priced out of reach of someone not on an expense account and then steerage class at the other end of the spectrum.

If starting an airline weren't so capital intensive and a regulator nightmare, I'm sure we'd see other market entrants to exploit this gap in the market.

link   
that would have to be a really "cheap fare" to get people to sit in uncomfortable design, what about in flight movies and perks like that, a distant memory?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I saw where someone had a patent for standing up like on a subway...

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

What if you have to pee?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Don't fly. Problem solved. I will use my prayers for those issues that are far more important to
this rock we all live on.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

What if you have to pee?

Adult diapers?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: SilentE

originally posted by: FyreByrd

What if you have to pee?

Adult diapers?

Air sickness bags applied elsewhere ?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Are they comparing the very best seats in a modern airliner to the seating of the past? I take it air travel used to be expensive and part of the domain of the rich, so most seating was lavish and comfortable. As result of improvements, now average people fly. So only a minority of fliers are rich anymore, meaning most seats are economy.

I'd like to see a comparison between the best seating today and the best seating of the past. I doubt there'll be much difference, given there should be wealthy people today flying who want luxury travel. I've even heard of rich people having their own private jets.
edit on 10-7-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
this will generate a LOT of new "groping"type videos i casually find on certain websites while doing totally unrelated internet searches.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
What's wrong with naked?

7up airlines

Pack us like sardines, I'll take the experience at half the price.
edit on 10-7-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
This is the future.
Too many people.
Corporations treating you like cattle.

Get used to it,or find another rock to live on.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse
This is the future.
Too many people.
Corporations treating you like cattle.

Get used to it,or find another rock to live on.

Depressed lately?

Come on, it's not that bad. Does Trump have a jet? I'd be surprised if it doesn't have a jacuzzi, hair salon, theatre, strip bar, etc.

Someone please get pictures of the best seating today for fair comparisons. As stated by previous posters, air travel in the past was expensive and so economy seating wasn't the priority, given the travelers were wealthy. They just have higher expectations than average people.
edit on 10-7-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Pee'ng is not my issue with this. As a former Airport Firefighter. It's getting everyone off the plane in a fire evacuation. That looks far to confusing. I'd like to see a crowded plane evacuate in under 2 minutes or less.
I'll pass!

At least they haven't implemented the "Standing" passenger arrangement yet.

edit on 10-7-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

Edit: luckily this is just a patent. It won't fly. ( pun intended ). But it could lay the foundation of something better.

edit on 10-7-2015 by Bigburgh because: at least 4 grammatical errors :-)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
British Airways had that in business class few years back but got rid of it, it was horrible. I kept the fan divider up the whole time except for take off and landing where i had to stare at a complete stranger...urgh yuk. and in economy there would be no divider by the looks of it!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join