It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Give me some examples of Political Correctness that you disagree with

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I like cookies. Sign me up

Roger that

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: bg_socalif

Europeans have their own issues. It's not all Kumbayaa over there.

I wonder if they would be surprised at the common consensus of Americans and how we perceive them culturally though, as we often are shocked to learn what they think of us. Everyone has issues...at least there is no cultural divide regarding that simple truth.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

So, you didn't like the term that Heretic used to describe something, and you want to change it to something else that makes you feel better?

How PC of you!

Perfect!!

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

So please, let's discuss, give me some examples of Political Correctness that you disagree with and why you believe society shouldn't adhere to that particular example.

Gov't agencies reprinting technical documentation because it contained the words Master for the primary drive and Slave for the secondary drive. Waste of money.

Creating victims by labelling them as African Americans or as Female. The MSM and Politicians appear to think and accept that Women and African Americans aren't able to do get ahead by themselves without extra help.

Making it acceptable for Black rappers to use the N word but not for white people. Why black rappers would want to embrace any form of the N word is beyond me?

Selective History. Never mentioning the part where African tribes sold opposing African prisoners to the white man. Nobody has clean hands when it comes to slavery.

Racist card. Labelling a white guy as racist when he is simply and ignorant @ss.

But the more interesting question in my opinion is: What IS considered Politically Correct. For example

1. The MSM and politicians publicly Labelling white people racist before facts are released.

2. Calling people racist because they don't agree with a African Americans view on topics or methodology.

3. Labelling Women and African Americans as victims and saying they need extra help and support.

edit on 20731America/ChicagoFri, 10 Jul 2015 15:20:09 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Ok, you are going to have to prove that claim with some legal precedent. It better JUST be words as the arresting offense and not words being used to classify another incident as a hate crime though.

Verbal abuse is an infringement on an individual’s sense of security and their physical and psychological integrity, which are protected under federal and provincial charters of rights and freedoms as well as under the law. Serious verbal threats may constitute a violation of the Criminal Code.

Verbal Abuse

I don't have time right now to go searching for case law for you; I'm at work at the moment, but verbal abuse/verbal assault is a punishable offense. It can also fall under defamation, slander, harassment and bullying. That is one of the main reasons that all of this PC nonsense has gone as far as it has. It's ridiculous, but the truth nonetheless.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

Wow I thought you had ignored that post. Though I'm not entirely sure that constitutes definitive proof of what you are saying... I'd really like to know what can be said and how it is said that could constitute an arrestable offense.
edit on 10-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Fair enough.

Let's be more general than responses to a particular question, however.

Is it generally true that to take exception, whether passionate or rabid, with replacing one word/phrasse with another word/phrase ... the very essential issue with "being PC."

One word/phrase makes the first set of people unhappy ... the second word/phrase makes another set of people unhappy.

The "bitching and whining" occurs in both circumstances, yes?

That's my point.

Blahhh....ok fine, I cannot argue with that. Damn your logic!!

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: highfromphoenix

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

If it talks like a retard and acts like a retard then it's a retard.

Having to call a PERSON "he" or "she", when really, if it's retarded, it's an IT!

Jesus! WTF is wrong with people??

LOL. my mistake.

He or She may be retarded.

It was a term used for generations. Now I'm expected to say something like they are "slow" or wait here you go how about they have a "developmental disadvantageous"?

So what you are saying is that you have difficulty learning new words...

There's a word for people like you who have learning disabilities.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

A business is free to run their business anyway they wish.

Not true. A business cannot discriminate against its employees based on religious practices, and saying "Merry Christmas" is protected under that law. If some business is out there "instructing" their employees not to say that phrase, they are walking a serious line by doing that. If it were to suddenly become a mandate that they are not allowed to say the phrase at all upon the contingency of their employment, they would be violating federal law as well.

The problem is, I think, that people are too scared of the whole PC movement to speak out against workplace discrimination for fear of overstepping or maybe even not thinking it would be worth it in the current political climate...or think, like yourself, that they are free to do whatever they please.

edit on 31543America/ChicagoFri, 10 Jul 2015 15:54:24 -050031pm31190America/Chicago by tigertatzen because: gahhh!!!

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

If I see my boss lady this weekend I'll ask her if she knows of some good examples. She's an attorney and specializes in family and criminal law, and a huge civil rights proponent. Noooo...I didn't ignore your post! We may not always agree, but I am always interested to see what you have to say, despite that.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
Getting upset at Happy Holidays is political correctness turned around the other way.

Exactly! I NEVER get "upset" when people say, "Bless you", I'm praying for you", "Merry Christmas", or ANYTHING. Go ahead, say you support "traditional marriage", that someone is "retarded", or something is "so gay". Who cares? The only people complaining about that stuff is who the media decides to bring forth to your attention. Don't buy into it!

The people who complain about political correctness are the ones whose skin is so thin, they can't even stand by their own words without crying because someone else doesn't like it!

originally posted by: tigertatzen
I don't know if "complaining" is really an appropriate description...we are answering a question that was asked, not just arbitrarily bitching and whining about a word we don't like.

Surely, you don't think this is the only thread where people "complain" about political correctness? People complain about it (without being asked) all the time.

Saying what is meant, not what sounds like a nicer way to say what is meant.

What's wrong with saying what one means in a nice way? That's being honest AND respectful.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

The people who complain about political correctness are the ones whose skin is so thin, they can't even stand by their own words without crying because someone else doesn't like it!

I don't know if "complaining" is really an appropriate description...we are answering a question that was asked, not just arbitrarily bitching and whining about a word we don't like.

Surely, you don't think this is the only thread where people "complain" about political correctness? People complain about it (without being asked) all the time.

Saying what is meant, not what sounds like a nicer way to say what is meant.

What's wrong with saying what one means in a nice way? That's being honest AND respectful.

I totally agree with you. There's nothing wrong with saying what you mean in a nice way. But to me, calling an illegal immigrant an "undocumented worker" is not an example of that. It is an attempt at making what they are doing seem like it's not actually so bad after all, so we should all overlook it. That is dishonest and manipulative, and I do not agree with it. And that's just one example of what I'm talking about.

And you're right, people do complain about that and many other things, without being asked. But earlier I stated that a possible reason for lack of response on this thread could be that people are just too timid to throw their true opinions out there when invited to because it seems like a trap...and that was precisely what I was referring to. It's not quite the same as "complaining" when you're being asked for that opinion, know what I mean? If someone suddenly starts unsolicited whining, then all bets are off.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   

But to me, calling an illegal immigrant an "undocumented worker" is not an example of that. It is an attempt at making what they are doing seem like it's not actually so bad after all, so we should all overlook it. That is dishonest and manipulative, and I do not agree with it.

I don't think what they're doing IS so bad. I don't think crossing an imaginary line and coming here to work and care for their families IS a horrible thing to do. It IS illegal, but not morally wrong, IMO. I'm not trying to manipulate anything and I'm being honest.
edit on 7/10/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I am a bit perplexed these days as to which words to use and which not to use. It seems impossible not to somehow make some insensitive reference for some sub-splinter-group that just wants some attention.

I just don't care anymore; If you are fat, then I say fat not some stupid non-specific set of words that everyone knows means fat but does not want to say. Also, stop with the damn excuses already for whatever your situation is, obesity cannot all be because of some hormonal balance or a disease…. Take some responsibility for the condition you are in and if you do not want to be referred to as fat, work at not being fat.

As there are now so many fat Americans out there, I suppose that I will get flamed and pummeled over this comment but hey, live with it.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

But to me, calling an illegal immigrant an "undocumented worker" is not an example of that. It is an attempt at making what they are doing seem like it's not actually so bad after all, so we should all overlook it. That is dishonest and manipulative, and I do not agree with it.

I don't think what they're doing IS so bad. I don't think crossing an imaginary line and coming here to work and care for their families IS a horrible thing to do. It IS illegal, but not morally wrong, IMO. I'm not trying to manipulate anything and I'm being honest.

Let's scale that.

Let's say the imaginary line is the property line for your yard, and they decide to move in and arbitrarily live with you and use your resources while they do what they do. Can you afford to support any number of people who are unskilled and ill-equipped to support themselves and their families in your home and off your hard work?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

We have immigration laws for a reason. It isn't because we don't want to help the poor people of the world. It's because we can only absorb so many poor people at a time. We have to take in the ones we can help and help them because they won't be able to fully support themselves, maybe ever. So we wait until they are integrated and maybe until their kids are integrated. Then we let in more, but we do it a steady and measured rate the country can handle.

It sucks because there are so many, many more than we can handle or ever hope to help all at once.

But if we just try to let them all in, we'll become overwhelmed. We will. You know it if you think about it, and then we help no one.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I was walking past a school the other day for disabled kids. There was a road sign on the wall outside saying 'SLOW CHILDREN'

Yeah so I didn't think that was very nice..

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

Creating victims by labelling them as African Americans or as Female. The MSM and Politicians appear to think and accept that Women and African Americans aren't able to do get ahead by themselves without extra help.

2. Calling people racist because they don't agree with a African Americans view on topics or methodology.

Yeah, it's just a silly coincidence that there had to be an Presidential Executive Order and the Constitution had to be Amended to transform the legal status of Blacks from partial persons into full human beings and afford them equity before the laws. And women, it's not like there had to be a Constitutional Amendment to even give them the right to vote, thus making them full American Citizens, after only 129 years at the time, eh?

Yeah, all this idea that women and Blacks have been discriminated against and are being descriminated against is just a load of liberal hooey right? Or as you like to call it, PC.

Sometimes what I read is simply gob-smacking on this site.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: MoreBeer
Your microaggresive thread offends my sensibilities I suggest the mods shut it down.

Nice.

Another form a censorship.

If you don't like what we have to say then move on to a different thread.

(#ing reta....)

Sorry my sarcasm wasn't evident.
edit on 10-7-2015 by MoreBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

a reply to: enlightenedservant

It's really sad that people make the world so much harder to live in than it has to be, isn't it?

I agree. But as you can see, some people still want it like that. People create artificial divisions so they can create advantages for certain divisions (usually the "side" they happen to be a part of).

In my religion, we believe it's the Devil (aka "the sneaking whisperer") that instigates these divisions. I won't preach, but I try to keep my eyes open for stuff like that specifically to combat him/it.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Some of examples of PC that I disagree with are:

PC is out of control
Traditional marriage
Thug
Pro-Palestine is hating Jews
Heritage not hate
War on Christians
Muslims are terrorists
Vote fraud is out of control