It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confederate battle flag comes down in SC at 10 am today

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nucleardoom
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Thanks for that, meant 1st not second.

What about the 10 commandments in Oklahoma?

I know they're raising a stink about that one as well, but that is without a doubt

religious symbols on government property.

If I'm not mistaken, the ten commandments are being removed after a local satanist church petitioned (successfully I might add) to have a statue of Baphomet added next to the commandments. Since if you're going to allow religious symbols on state grounds, they argued they must let ANY religious symbol onto the grounds.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

You're rocking the boat I'm riding Shamrock, that's not cool man.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

You cannot have credibility as a governing body while you're flying a flag outside that symbolizes ignorance, racism and violence towards so many.

Yea, before this all I heard about around town was how the S.C. legislature lacked any credibility because they were flying that damn flag outside. Not one piece of legislation had an ounce of credibility because of that damn flag flying?

Good grief. The media is sure doing it's job ensuring how your supposed to think about it.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
It seems to me that the flag removal would have been better met with less gloating, pomp and circumstance and, instead, more of a quiet disdain as well as provocative discussion and questions like "And....what else?" How about some systemic change?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
It seems to me that the flag removal would have been better met with less gloating, pomp and circumstance and, instead, more of a quiet disdain as well as provocative discussion and questions like "And....what else?" How about some systemic change?

Leave it to the Media to make it their cashcow in the previous weeks.

After all, they caught the two escaped prisoners, no terrorists struck on the 4th, etc. They had to bring SOMETHING to the people to continue to divide them.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack

I agree. I can guarantee the folks there who lived and tried to go to school and find work in the 60's who were on the end of the discrimination stick were not cheering and gloating.

They were the silent ones with tears on their cheeks.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
About 50 years too late but got there in the end.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

No it's not that. I've never been one to say Euros shouldn't/can't offer their opinions on things happening in the U.S.

I just found it kind of hypocritical to post a rant about people offering their opinions on something that doesn't effect them.

From the UK.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Not sure why those across the pond can't have their say? How is hypocritical, please explain?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Of course buddy you're one of the best defenders us Brits have.

And it's appreciated, very much.

I was just pulling your leg.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: stargatetravels

Good Christ I knew this was going to happen.

Did you read the whole comment? Including the part where I said I've NEVER said those across the pond can't or shouldn't offer their opinions on all things U.S.? On my screen it shows up as the very first line in the comment.

I found it hypocritical that somebody from the UK would post a rant about offering commentary on things that don't impact a person. And then proceeds to offer commentary on things that don't impact them.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

It's an ongoing situation:

The office of Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt argued the monument should remain, citing a 2005 case in which the U.S. Supreme Court said the presence of the 10 Commandments on the grounds of the Texas State Capitol did not violate the U.S. Constitution's Establishment Clause.

"The issue in the case at hand is whether the Oklahoma 10 Commandments monument violates the Oklahoma Constitution, not whether it violates the Establishment Clause," the Oklahoma ruling said.

Pruitt issued a statement saying "the Oklahoma Supreme Court got it wrong".

"The court completely ignored the profound historical impact of the Ten Commandments on the foundation of Western law. Furthermore, the court's incorrect interpretation of Article 2, Section 5 contradicts previous rulings of the court," he said. "In response, my office will file a petition with the court for a rehearing in light of the broader implications of this ruling on other areas of state law. In the interim, enforcement of the court's order cannot occur. Finally, if Article 2, Section 5, is going to be construed in such a manner by the court, it will be necessary to repeal it."

Looks like Texas was in on it as well:

Texas 10

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

My bad.

I saw it with hindsight...
Damn textual conversations are a bane in life.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Nucleardoom

That's a shame, I thought it had all been resolved by now.

Ah well, we're straying way off topic.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
It breaks my heart that the Rebel flag that, on the deeper level, stood for the spirit of our Declaration of Independence (when in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another....) was hijacked to represent the lesser level, the one that most people attach to, because well...let's face it... that's what most people do.

It has been like watching a shell game. While everyone, including the media, focused and went off on a tangent about the racial connotations that we are supposed to buy into (and most people do), the deeper spirit was quashed.

A supposed "racist" was used to sully the spirit of that flag. It took the sacrifice of nine lives to make it happen. Mission accomplished. Bury it, burn it, fold it and put it away....the wind has been taken out of its true spirit. On to the next mission! I wonder what it will be.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Well I suppose I must have misunderstood or missed the hypocritical comment.
I think something like this affects many people, both inside the US and elsewhere.

Meh - whatever.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: stargatetravels

I fail to see what tangible effect this has on anybody outside the Charleston area.

Apparently the member I was replying fails to see what impact this has on the great majority of people.

If you're able to assign it some worldwide impact, good on you I guess. I don't see it.

Meh.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
It breaks my heart that the Rebel flag that, on the deeper level, stood for the spirit of our Declaration of Independence (when in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another....) was hijacked to represent the lesser level, the one that most people attach to, because well...let's face it... that's what most people do.

It has been like watching a shell game. While everyone, including the media, focused and went off on a tangent about the racial connotations that we are supposed to buy into (and most people do), the deeper spirit was quashed.

A supposed "racist" was used to sully the spirit of that flag. It took the sacrifice of nine lives to make it happen. Mission accomplished. Bury it, burn it, fold it and put it away....the wind has been taken out of its true spirit. On to the next mission! I wonder what it will be.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Life will go on.
This is my opinion based upon many years of observation.
Fear not.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Way to go South Carolina!

It reminds me of this:

new topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join