It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confederate battle flag comes down in SC at 10 am today

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

I don't think she said Lincoln was against any of those things you listed.

However, he was against Slavery.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
a reply to: eriktheawful

I had no problem with it in the first place, honestly didn't even know it was there. I can side with the fanatics screaming to take it down though, because well in this circumstance they are right. We have one USA flag, and it should be the only flag flown on any state grounds. Show me another state entity with another flag and I'll be the first to make a stink out of it just to shut the news stations up. US Governmental territory, US flag only.

Why is that a big deal?

And here you are showing your ignorance again: Only the US flag should fly over state capital buidlings?

REALLY?????

Okay, I'll cut you some slack. Maybe you are not a US citizen and are not educated in proper flag etiquette.

Each state has it's own flag. Each state has it's OWN laws. The "union" that is known as the United States is what the US federal government is.

That union has a flag. The US American flag.

It most certainly does fly atop of every capital building of each state in the union. And just below it, is the state flag of each state.

Yet, by your statement, even each state flag should not be allowed to fly on top of or on a state's own property???

So you are saying we here in South Carolina must take this flag down too?

You've proven my point: people are being played based upon their emotions and lack of knowledge, and because they are told "it's a good thing".

As you said: it was not something you cared about. Yet now, you are agreeing with the actions.....worse: you're even suggesting that we should change even more things.....

So tell me: how does my state flag now offend you? Why do you think it should also be removed? Why is it not right for my state's flag to fly atop of the STATE capital building on STATE property, in a building where my STATE laws are made by my STATE senators or and reps?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I do feel better. I don't care that it will be more on display on private property freedom of speech is a fantastic thing. I care that a symbol of inequality, flown in protest of civil rights isn't being flown by a government anymore.

But I thought you had said:

The debate is about flying a flag that embraced the notion of white supremacy.

So on government land it's a no-no, but it's cool everywhere else?

Hmmm, seems a bit contradictory.

Since corporations are now considered "people" according to the modern day Sanhedrin does the state not have a right to the first amendment?
edit on 10-7-2015 by Nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Oh here we go again, a bunch of loud mouths on a forum for whom this makes absolutely no difference at all will now spend the rest of the day claiming everything from the removal of their freedoms and rights to this being a NWO plot by the Lizard people to cook you all in ovens at FEMA camps after taking away all your gunz!!!!1111

Most of you probably never knew this flag even flew on those grounds before this story.
Most of you are not black Americans, so you have absolutely no right to be preaching about what other people should or should not feel about this symbol of hate.
Most of you probably don't even know that the flag was erected there as a deliberate act of aggression and opposition to the civil rights movement.
Most of you have absolutely no stake in this, don't live in the state, aren't at all affected by racism, have absolutely no reason to claim any kind of "oppression"...

This is progress, it's a symbol of ignorance and hatred to millions of people. This local government had no right to claim to represent all citizens while leaving this symbol of hate and ignorance flying in those grounds.

Go about your lives, nothing has changed for you, just as nothing has changed for the handful of equally ignorant people who can now go and see this flag in a museum, where it belongs.

Good riddance to a symbol of backward attitudes and utter ignorance, it shouldn't have taken the murders of nine innocent people to move that flag out of those grounds.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Nucleardoom

I think you mean first amendment. And no, government buildings and properties are not protected by the first. That is why it's not acceptable to have religious symbols on government property, etc.

Private citizens can fly whatever flag they damn well please. Corporations can too. If a company wants to make it's whole damn logo and corporate brand around the confederate flag, they're free to. And I would fight for their rights to do so.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

I know, I've stopped even pointing that out as nobody seems to believe that this isn't the actual flag --- but is a more impactful design then the white I guess...even with the blood band...or final one which was too much like a US flag anyway
edit on 7/10/2015 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

1st Amendment...

And it seems this ruling has seen the State forgo it's right and use it responsibly in respect of 50+ years of fighting to remove a flag of hatred.

How the 1st should be used by the State.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

So on government land it's a no-no, but it's cool everywhere else? Hmmm, seems a bit contradictory.

What's contradictory? Yes absolutely a government that is made of We the People should not fly a flag that says "but we didn't mean those people".

It's not cool everywhere else, it's disgusting... but it's none of my business.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nucleardoom
So on government land it's a no-no, but it's cool everywhere else?

Hmmm, seems a bit contradictory.

It's not contradictory at all, and you know it.
This was on the grounds of the regional government, a body of people supposedly representing the interests of all voters. You cannot have credibility as a governing body while you're flying a flag outside that symbolizes ignorance, racism and violence towards so many.

It's really pretty simple, it's just that some absolutely refuse to accept this because their argument is destroyed instantly and they have no means to defend their attitude against it.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   

I will give you the fair enough, I forgot about state flags. Was the confederate flag the state flag of South Carolina?

I should have stated only government related flags should fly on state grounds.

Maybe since we have so many latinos in the US we should raise the Mexican flag as well on all southwestern states.

*also, my emotions have literally zero influence on this subject, just so you know my standpoint
edit on 10-7-2015 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Thanks for that, meant 1st not second.

What about the 10 commandments in Oklahoma?

I know they're raising a stink about that one as well, but that is without a doubt

religious symbols on government property.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
The flag came down and the world didn't end....imagine that!

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Perhaps you should go back and read my posts on the flag topic - I'm for removing it from state grounds.

But it's still tripe to think that just because some jackass flew the flag and did a horrible thing AND South Carolina also flies the flag (or did), that the two facts are at all related. And it's tripe to think that demonizing the flag will solve any problems which actually contributed to the shooting or even racism itself.

Today's ceremony is simply a convenient release of a pressure. The pressure will continue to build elsewhere as long as we cling to these superficial gestures and avoid authentic change...economic justice, equal justice under the law, etc.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

Aren't you in the UK?

I mean, by all means offer your commentary.

I just find it rather ironic that you're posting a rant about people not being impacted by something in South Carolina...

From the UK.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Also being removed.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Some people will spit in a persons face just for smiling.

link   

What about this flag?

Is this appropriate at a state-funded institution?

link   
A statement to give my perspective, taking down that flag is no big deal. It shouldn't have been flying in the first place on state grounds. It is neither a representative of the state or the US as a whole. Equating a rightful argument for it to fly on state grounds is no different than placing any other nations flag on any state grounds.

Would people be upset over a Mexican flag flying on state grounds? yes
Would people be upset over a Russian flag flying on state grounds? yes
Would people be upset over literally ANY other countries flag being flown on state grounds? Well I have to guess yes.

Did taking the flag down end racism? No
Did taking the flag down get blown out of proportion? Yes

Equating taking a flag down to losing civil liberty rights is silly in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

There is also a carving of the Prophet Muhammad at the Supreme Court...
(Behind my avatar)

It's a testy subject, the 10 Commandments.

I think a removal of Muhammad (pbuh) however would have the backing of the separation of C&S group and a large % Muslims alike.

As I said above, it's about using the right responsibly.

I wouldn't go as far as Railgun above to say the States have no 1st Amendment, but when it comes to religious separation, I think she is spot on.
edit on 10-7-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-7-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Perhaps you should go back and read my posts on the flag topic - I'm for removing it from state grounds.

But it's still tripe to think that just because some jackass flew the flag and did a horrible thing AND South Carolina also flies the flag (or did), that the two facts are at all related. And it's tripe to think that demonizing the flag will solve any problems which actually contributed to the shooting or even racism itself.

Today's ceremony is simply a convenient release of a pressure. The pressure will continue to build elsewhere as long as we cling to these superficial gestures and avoid authentic change...economic justice, equal justice under the law, etc.

I'm glad you are for removal from GOvt building as that's all I am also.

I still think the gesture is important and honorable no matter how late to those families who lost someone and I don't think it fixes anything other than black people don't need to see a symbol of repression over their state building. So maybe we are saying the same thing, except I'm ok with a gesture.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join