It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats Declare War On Words 'Husband,' 'Wife'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: KnightFire

Been there, done that. Self censorship is a b*t*h iddenit?

Even if I don't know which side your rant was leaning towards, I congratulate you for your insight.

Both sides of the 'issue' are pushing rather silly arguments. The phrase 'husband and wife' could, if necessary, be interpreted to fit either partner in a same sex marriage. There probably aren't that many laws that use that phrase anyway, and new laws could be written more generically. No big deal.

On the other hand, its no big deal to change it retrospectively either. Those folks who are against it are the same folk that are against everything every time their knee jerks. They are only against it because they have to manufacture outrage in order to keep themselves interested in life.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
i only half believe anything about this, or any other story that exists.

that said: until we get a balanced budget that decreases deficits year over year, they need to sit down, shut up, and get to work.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Yet another thread where the right takes everything out of context so that they can continue their cry baby, emotional, victim-card tirade.

Is it just me or do many people have reading comprehension issues and a lack of intelligence? I don't know how some people can read this article and come to the conclusions they have.

Well, I do know. They have been brainwashed and are blinded by their political partisanship.

This is getting old.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

The proper response to a "knee-jerk" reaction, isn't one of your own.

You only become a victim of "political brainwashing" yourself, only in a different color.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

what gets even older is believing there is a difference between "right" and "left" outside of the proletariat. The masses are the only ones who really fight over it.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Yet another post from the left the resorts to immediate name calling and questions about intelligence.

Made all the more ironic when it's capped off with a "political partisanship" comment.

You're right, it is getting old.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Why be redundant? Makes no sense (and is not optimal use of space, ink, etc.) to state "spouse, husband or wife" when you can just state "spouse"

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Do you consider that a knee-jerk reaction on my part? I do not.

I think it's about time we stop beating around the bush and start calling things as they are. I do not have a political ax to grind and do not have to take things out of context to fit my political agenda.

But apparently others do and by just reading some other's comments we have to begin to question their intelligence, because I'm tired of mine being insulted.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

what gets even older is believing there is a difference between "right" and "left" outside of the proletariat. The masses are the only ones who really fight over it.

Do you see the left creating threads, one after another, taking stories out of context to project the idea that their way of life or beliefs are under attack by the opposing political party?

I think not.

I am not a fan of the left or democrats but they cannot be compared to the lunacy that has become the right.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Is this story not being taken out of context to push a certain demographic to become outraged?

Why can't we call a spade a spade?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Let me start by saying I'm not a Liberal.

All you folks who are butthurt about the marriage equality law have GOT to cool your jets. You're making yourself look monumentally stupid with all of this nonsense about "the Liberals are attacking xxxx now!!" You look like a bunch of chicken littles to the rest of us.

It's getting old reading sensational thread titles, rolling my eyes and thinking "ok what's the actual story", and being 100% correct when the story doesn't match the title.

Nobody is saying you can't use the terms "husband" and "wife." The proposal addresses the use of the terms in federal law... period.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: Shamrock6

Is this story not being taken out of context to push a certain demographic to become outraged?

Why can't we call a spade a spade?

Yes.

It happens on this site all the time, unfortunately, and folks from all sides are guilty of it. The folks who oppose marriage equality are just the latest to employ the tactic.

The media does it, so they just follow suit.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

well, i guess if you narrow down the parameters it might be a challenge....

....but having been online through a few elections over the last 20 years.....yes. Yes i have. I have seen both sides behave in a manner that has made me recoil in disgust at what American politics is.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

All you folks who are butthurt about the marriage equality law have GOT to cool your jets. You're making yourself look monumentally stupid with all of this nonsense about "the Liberals are attacking xxxx now!!" You look like a bunch of chicken littles to the rest of us.

It's getting old reading sensational thread titles, rolling my eyes and thinking "ok what's the actual story", and being 100% correct when the story doesn't match the title.

Nobody is saying you can't use the terms "husband" and "wife." The proposal addresses the use of the terms in federal law... period.

You are right.

But you have to admit that its just outright stupid on the part of our elected officials to even be talking about this. Its grandstanding. They already suck at their jobs miserably...and this is just further sucking.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   

You see less of it from the left today because currently the left has someone in the oval office pushing for left-leaning policies.

The moment someone on the right gets in, you can bet people on the left will be over-analyzing everything, turning the smallest remark into some big hyperbole, and knee-jerking at every action the right takes.

It happened in spades during the Bush presidency.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep
WTF????

I am convinced "Liberals" suffer from a serious mental condition. Republicans have issues too, I'm not taking anything away from them here either... But "Liberals" are a special kind of stupid, many years of rehab and closely monitored assistance is needed..... I'm not even joking, and that is the sad part. :/

Liberals think the same thing about "Conservatives."

Two sides of the same coin. That's what you get when you let someone else tell you what you're supposed to believe.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
Well considering same sex marriage is now legal, changing the terms to describe two people who are legally married makes sense. For legal documentation, you wouldn't describe two same sex couples as husband and wife. Times are changing and so is legal terminology.

Absolutely. I don't understand the ranting in this thread. Really? What's wrong with changing the codes to reflect the laws? The resistance to the change in the law is pretty hilarious, IMO.

originally posted by: Wookiep
WTF????

I am convinced "Liberals" suffer from a serious mental condition. Republicans have issues too, I'm not taking anything away from them here either... But "Liberals" are a special kind of stupid, many years of rehab and closely monitored assistance is needed..... I'm not even joking, and that is the sad part. :/

So, more people enjoying more PERSONAL FREEDOM and the laws being changed to reflect that FREEDOM of CHOICE, somehow equates to 'liberals being stupid' to you??? And you are seriously calling THEM "a special kind of stupid"?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

You see less of it from the left today because currently the left has someone in the oval office pushing for left-leaning policies.

The moment someone on the right gets in, you can bet people on the left will be over-analyzing everything, turning the smallest remark into some big hyperbole, and knee-jerking at every action the right takes.

It happened in spades during the Bush presidency.

I just said this the other day in a conversation.

When a Republican is in the White House, the left won't stop bitching.

When a Democrat is in the White House, the right won't stop bitching.

Our "leaders" sure have done a fantastic job at keeping us divisive.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: Answer

You are right.

But you have to admit that its just outright stupid on the part of our elected officials to even be talking about this. Its grandstanding. They already suck at their jobs miserably...and this is just further sucking.

I agree that they suck at their jobs and they don't accomplish anything that doesn't purchase more political capital but the terminology needs to be correct on the books before it becomes an issue.

It would only be a matter of time before some jackwagon used the legal terminology of "husband" and "wife" to claim that a same-sex marriage was illegitimate.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: rnaa
The phrase 'husband and wife' could, if necessary, be interpreted to fit either partner in a same sex marriage.

Not in law. If a gay male couple gets married, NEITHER is the "wife", because that has a specific legal definition. That is a legal loophole just waiting for someone to take advantage of it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join