It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you Chrisitians take this scripture verse seriously?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

I saw only two people that cast a wide enough net to provide the full meaning and context of Mathew 6:1-18. When people pull a particular verse to use to contradict or claim a hypocrisy, they fail to realise that there are supporting verses that must be taken into consideration as well.

Mathew 6:1-18 is another commandment to be humble and meek. Here are some supporting verses:

Mathew 5:5 Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

James 3:13 Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom.

1st Peter 3:15 But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect.

Zephaniah 2:3 Seek the Lord, all you humble of the land, who do his just commands; seek righteousness; seek humility; perhaps you may be hidden on the day of the anger of the Lord.

There are many more scriptures that place value on the traits of humility, humbleness, and being meek. Even one of the fruits of the Spirit is gentleness. So back to Mathew 6, when it says not to practice, pray, or fast to draw attention to yourselves, it's because drawing attention to yourself is an act of self importance and is not being humble or meek. Further, drawing attention to yourself is drawing attention away from Christ and Ephesians 2:8 says "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God"

So, for example, if a Christian leaves a foodbasket to the hungry, it's best to do it in secret without the recipient knowing who left it. Because then recognition can be given to God instead of the Christian.

So in essence, Mathew 6:1 isn't saying not to practice in public. It's just saying not to do it in a way that detracts from God.
edit on 7/10/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

Yeah, well, I'm not the sort who's called to that. So I can't speak for what those rules are, but I'm not going to bust up a Mormon or a JW for knocking on my door because I know they more or less have to do it, even if we both know I don't want it.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
Your example of a hospital is interesting but I feel like a hospital room is a private place, so I don't see the problem.
So, in your opinion, what does the whole "go into your closet to pray" really mean? If it doesn't mean what the words describe, why did Christ command it?
It just seems to me that public prayer whether it is "on the street" or in a sports arena, or at a political rally is a direct violation of "go into your closet" to pray. It seems to me he was exhorting us to be in a private place when we pour our hearts out.
It seems to me that his command means that if you feel the need to pray in a public place it needs to be a silent prayer to avoid being perceived as a hypocrite.
Same with the giving of alms---but if it is to be done in secret, how on earth is telling the government about it keeping it a secret?

I would never walk up to anyone and call them a hypocrite for praying. It's their business, not mine. I might pray for them, that they be enlightened.
The only time I've ever called anyone a hypocrite in a religious discussion was the time the morbidly obese preacher came up to me and told me God would send me to hell for smoking cigarettes and began preaching at me for disrespecting the temple of my body. I listened politely until his rant ran down and then simply asked,"What does God's word say about gluttony? When did you last preach a sermon on that topic?" and walked away from him. That scene brought to my mind the verse someone quoted above about trying to see around the log in your eye while plucking a splinter from another person's eye. That was many, many years ago and since that time I've learned that smiling and saying, "Thank you for your concern, sir." is a better way to deflect those who feel the need to correct others' behavior.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

Matthew 6:1 “Be careful that you don't practice your religion in front of people to draw their attention. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven."

Though your translation is correct in terms of semantics, it's not universally translated. The verse really say that you should not give money and then make it known, you should rather "practise your religion" by giving gifts in the hidden. But hey, people need help on the matter. They don't give. They only claim and take.

Good point in the OP. S/F

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1 Church is where I go to get the Sacraments, to be in His presence, and to obey the commandment about the Sabbath, but I don't go there to be seen. In fact, I bet a bunch of church goers are like me, and enjoy going to churches out of town where they are strangers.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Look2theSacredHeart

You don't need to go to church to be in his presence, he's everywhere at all times. He's omnipresent remember? Jesus said to pray in private.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Even though I'm not a believer. It's simple to tell how you distort the Word.

Hebrews 10:24-25 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: Look2theSacredHeart

You don't need to go to church to be in his presence, he's everywhere at all times. He's omnipresent remember? Jesus said to pray in private.

No, that's just you getting high from burning the candle both ends. Jesus says it is nearly impossible for anyone to reach him. «Where I go, you can't come» — but at the same time he says; «Where two of you are gathered 'in my name' I walk between you». Jesus is communication and words, language, the exchange and manifestation of truth, argumentation and philosophy. Not many around can carry those garments unharmed or walk those routes like a true conqueror. Most end up as jokes and dust-puffs, some rather sinister, but yet some with a sense of honor and dignity, manage to clive up pretty high in the Jacobsladder. However, to be the LOGOS is like being Rock'n'Roll and at the same time king and emperor and the common man, and don't give a fart, being all vulgar and articulate at the same time and manage not to explode in the insane-but-true light of doom and absolution— It must be quite hard, but language is like our brains and our consciousness— it's rather complex.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Seede
You misunderstand Matthew 6:1,2. Doesn't mean what you say it means and you don't have to make an excuse to any one
except God for throwing Him in the can. Hope you and God can settle your hate for Him.

Ha...first off, I don't hate something that doesn't exist. And even if it does exist, I don't "hate" it, but I certainly can't reconcile all of the murderous, spiteful things that the bible claims that it did (assuming the claims are accurate).

Secondly, I don't "misunderstand" anything--just because you may interpret it differently (in a way that you don't specify) doesn't make you right or me wrong, or your preacher right and another preacher wrong. Bible verses mean something different to everybody, but I'm sure that you know that.

So, would you be willing to share your interpretation of the verse that the OP cites? I mean, I've read the entire bible before, and many chapters and books many, many times each, so I fully understand it both in its context of chapter 6 and as it stands alone.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join