It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you Chrisitians take this scripture verse seriously?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I mean you can generalize people who go to church or you can see it as a community where people pray and learn the teachings of their religion

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

sharing the gospel is what caused you to contradict yourselves and not follow the teaching of Christ. Every Christian is view under a microscope these days and every Christian is made the example of Christianity, not an easy task but gladly accepted by most Christians

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Semperfortis explained it quite well. It doesn't mean that one should hide there faith, and it doesn't mean that one shouldn't carry it with them everywhere they go. It means don't put on a front to impress people. Be modest and humble. Demonstrate humility. Let one's faith be genuine, in the heart, so that you are able to illuminate those around one. Those who seek recognition for their "faith", well, they have their own reward.

Likewise, rebuke with love. After all, one is just as guilty of sin as the next. In the same way some rebuke without love pretending to be without a sinful flesh.

In other words... "Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words." - Francis of Assisi

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
In another topic I was searching for some scripture that says not to force religious belief onto others. In my research I discovered another interesting point in the Bible.

Matthew 6:1 “Be careful that you don't practice your religion in front of people to draw their attention. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven."

I have a limited knowledge of the bible. I have read it front to back, both testaments, yet I have never been to a bible study (which is probably why I may have overlooked some key points such as this verse). So perhaps I am not reading it correctly, or at least how it may be intended.

Could someone explain to me just how far "practicing your religion" goes? I am honestly, and humbly curious.

Jesus isn't saying "don't practice your religion in front of people" here. He's talking specifically about trying to draw their attention, as the text states. The contrast he's making is between what a follower of Christ should do, and what the Pharisees did. In fact, the entire chapter you're quoting from is about this very thing - with Jesus referring to the Pharisees constantly as "the hypocrites".

Jesus talks again about this in Matthew 23:5 and beyond:

"But they do all their deeds to be noticed by men; for they broaden their phylacteries and lengthen the tassels of their garments. "They love the place of honor at banquets and the chief seats in the synagogues, and respectful greetings in the market places, and being called Rabbi by men.…"

So what Jesus is saying here is essentially that we shouldn't be like that. The life of Jesus Christ Himself was fundamentally characterised by humility ("who, being in very nature, God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made Himself nothing, taking the very likeness of a servant...") - and so should the life of the Christian be. It's not about building ourselves up, but building others up in Christ.

Now that you have that context, the verse should make more sense. This isn't at all suggesting that Christians shouldn't seek to bring others to Christ. That, in fact, would be in utter contradiction with huge portions of Scripture (including many of Jesus' own words). When you find that, you know you've missed something, because Scripture doesn't contradict itself.
edit on 10-7-2015 by Awen24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   

“Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

This is about not being ostentatious in your faith just so you can show everyone how "Christian" you are.

Why do think I don't get involved in the "pissing" contests where people without faith talk about all the good things they do and then challenge Christians to put up? I do what I do when and where I can, but I certainly don't do it so I can measure my charity peen against yours. I do it because it needs doing and that's where the real reward is.

I also don't drive around with 15 or 20 bumper stickers on my car that trumpet my faith. If someone wants to know why my life seems to be so together and why I always seem so content, I always attribute my faith, but I'm not a walking/driving billboard.

This forum is a different thing. People (like you) ask questions or start discussions. It's an invitation, so I take part.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   
As with all scripture written 2000 years ago, students going to religious schools are taught to interpret their associated texts.

This leads all those not taught interpretation to take literal resulting in confusion and sometimes disaster.

Someone should write an accompaniment to each scripture, whatever that be to stop confusion by the layman.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

It's not wrong to pray in public. If you feel called to prayer, you pray. The distinction is when you are only praying so that everyone around you can see you doing it.

So really, the problem here is for the person on the outside looking in, you have no sure way to judge the motive of the person praying. Do they feel genuinely called or moved? Or are they just doing it for show? Think of someplace like a hospital. Are you going to walk up to someone praying there and call them a hypocrite only praying for show? Think about it.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Matthew 6:1 “Be careful that you don't practice your religion in front of people to draw their attention. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven."

That particular verse is meant for all people to not give charity to anyone in a show of how pious you are.

Mat 6:1 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
Mat 6:2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Giving of anything to anyone should be between you and God and perhaps the one who receives. Actually religious people are not the only compassionate people. Many are non religious people.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I also don't drive around with 15 or 20 bumper stickers on my car that trumpet my faith. If someone wants to know why my life seems to be so together and why I always seem so content, I always attribute my faith, but I'm not a walking/driving billboard.

That's a pretty good point. But it has now ruined my life because I'm going to think about it every time I see a religious bumper sticker. haha

originally posted by: ketsuko
This forum is a different thing. People (like you) ask questions or start discussions. It's an invitation, so I take part

I wasn't suggesting that the the verse implies no Christians should respond because of it. So I understand it is still within your biblical right to do so

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   

This verse represents a massive (imo) sector of Christianity today--hell, that's exactly what megachurches foster. Many people go to church just to put their face out there and say that they go to church, but most do not live their lives according to the bible.

I'm no longer a Christian (or a believer at all), but verses like these--and looking at how the body of the church doesn't reflect them very well--was one of the ingredients that led to me leaving religion in my past.

Especially this one:

MATTHEW 7:1-5

“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye."

I have never seen a group of people so judgmental (as a whole) as Christians.

edit on 10-7-2015 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-7-2015 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

changed my mind!
edit on 10-7-2015 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

I do pray in private! The only prayer that I do in public
is the blessing over my food.I don't eat or drink anything
until I give thanks to the Lord for my meal.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

That's just it these people DON'T want you sharing your faith.
They want all christians to shut-up and go away and leave them
alone.So, shake the dust off of your feet and leave them to their
fate.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I feel like that old Jars of Clay song has the most prominence in answering this verse: 'They'll Know We Are Christians By Our Love.'

Jesus taught that it wasn't words by which we spread His love, but by action. In my own personal faith journey whenever I have helped someone, not once have I been asked what religion I adhered to nor did I inform them of it. Kindness and decency transcend religious dogma, and in their own unique way, every human who loves their fellow humans is serving God whether they know it or not:

A new commandment I give unto you, that ye love one another; even as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. ~John 13:34

Does anyone honestly believe when we come to face God at the end of our days that He'll excuse us simply because we adhered to a specific religion? If you weren't emulating Christ in your life, then that religion meant absolutely nothing and you learned nothing from it. That is the very definition of hypocrisy: to preach without substance, to teach without affirmation:

Even so faith, if it have not works, is dead in itself. ~James 2:17

Long story short... don't be a billboard, be the service the billboard is promoting. That service will speak volumes about your faith, more so than any advertisement could!

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

This verse represents a massive (imo) sector of Christianity today--hell, that's exactly what megachurches foster. Many people go to church just to put their face out there and say that they go to church, but most do not live their lives according to the bible.
I'm no longer a Christian (or a believer at all), but verses like these--and looking at how the body of the church doesn't reflect them very well--was one of the ingredients that led to me leaving religion in my past.

You misunderstand Matthew 6:1,2. Doesn't mean what you say it means and you don't have to make an excuse to any one
except God for throwing Him in the can. Hope you and God can settle your hate for Him.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

I think it goes to the idea that (if he/she exists) God gave us all free will and that included the free will to not acknowledge or follow them. Your free will to follow is equal to my free will not to. Proselytizing seems to be in direct contradiction of that.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

No worries. I wasn't saying you were, just pointing out the difference between a discussion group like this place and suddenly praying loudly over the baby ports at the grocery store this weekend. The latter I might only do if a gunmen walks in and starts shooting at anyone and everyone.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

That's just it these people DON'T want you sharing your faith.
They want all christians to shut-up and go away and leave them
alone.So, shake the dust off of your feet and leave them to their
fate.

And if no one were called to share, you would never know who wanted the gift. You have no one way of separating the sheep from the goats until you go out and try. That requires you to go out and preach.

Granted, not all of us are called to that. It takes a special person and a special calling.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Once you have shared your testimony, or tried to share it,
if it falls on deaf ears you are to shake the dust off your feet
and move along.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I generally shy away from doing so.

Going to services, I don't count as that. When they ask me to participate and pray with the group, I usually decline. ( I prefer to pray in private )

While I do go to church, and I will share if someone asks me....I don't 'advertise' who I am or what I do with regards to religion.

To me, it's a personal thing...it's nobody else's concern, lest they ask me, then I'll share and show.
edit on 10-7-2015 by BlackboxInquiry because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join