It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Orders Cities And Towns To Racially Integrate

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   

The Obama administration unveiled new rules Wednesday to rid the country of racially segregated neighborhoods by directing cities and towns to set goals for reducing segregation, and then regularly report their progress to the feds.

Communities nationwide will be given a series of questions designed to help them figure out whether racial bias is causing segregated neighborhoods, racial or ethnically concentrated areas of poverty, unequal access to opportunity or disproportionate housing needs in their jurisdiction. They will be required to set goals related to that data and publicly report on their progress every three to five years.

The Department of Housing and Urban Development rule is intended to prod communities to meet fair housing standards established in the Fair Housing Act of 1986, by making previously unavailable or unreliable data accessible to the public, which could then use the data as an impetus for change.

I was in school when they started busing students from the projects to predominantly white schools. I saw the fights. I was dragged in to my share of scraps with the new kids and it never ended well. One kid kept sneaking up behind other kids and combing their hair. Turns out he had head lice and just wanted to share.

How can you take the same people who are in the urban high crime zones and put them in the suburbs when you are fully cognizant of the fact that its not the people form the suburbs shooting up the projects, its the people who live there? How can you do that and not expect serious problems and more violence than you can handle? Unless, its just one more step toward declaring martial law. In that case, it makes perfect sense. Take the two most vehemently opposing sides and smash them together in their own homes.

Perfect storm.
edit on 9-7-2015 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-7-2015 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat Jul 11 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

+14 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Wonder how they are going to choose the families to move without profiling them....this had FAIL written all over it.

+11 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Welp watch all of America turn into a war zone.

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

The Obama administration unveiled new rules Wednesday to rid the country of racially segregated neighborhoods by directing cities and towns to set goals for reducing segregation, and then regularly report their progress to the feds.

Communities nationwide will be given a series of questions designed to help them figure out whether racial bias is causing segregated neighborhoods, racial or ethnically concentrated areas of poverty, unequal access to opportunity or disproportionate housing needs in their jurisdiction. They will be required to set goals related to that data and publicly report on their progress every three to five years.

The Department of Housing and Urban Development rule is intended to prod communities to meet fair housing standards established in the Fair Housing Act of 1986, by making previously unavailable or unreliable data accessible to the public, which could then use the data as an impetus for change.

The Fair Housing Act requires the government to not only eliminate racial discrimination in housing, but also to encourage racially integrated neighborhoods.

“This is the most serious effort that HUD has ever undertaken to do that,” HUD Secretary Julian Castro told The Washington Post. “I believe that it’s historic.”

HUD will compile the data into a central database where anyone can look at the mapped data and determine what kinds of changes need to happen in their community. HUD will support communities working to integrate and federal dollars will be on the line.

The rule follows a Supreme Court decision, based on the Fair Housing Act, that any housing policy that disproportionately impacts minorities can be targeted in a lawsuit, regardless of the intent of the policy. It could indirectly force some states to move Section 8 housing to high-income suburbs.

I was in school when they started busing students from the projects to predominantly white schools. I saw the fights. I was dragged in to my share of scraps with the new kids and it never ended well. One kid kept sneaking up behind other kids and combing their hair. Turns out he had head lice and just wanted to share.

How can you take the same people who are in the urban high crime zones and put them in the suburbs when you are fully cognizant of the fact that its not the people form the suburbs shooting up the projects, its the people who live there? How can you do that and not expect serious problems and more violence than you can handle. Unless, its just one more step toward declaring marital law. In that case, it makes perfect sense. Take the two most vehemently opposing sides and smash them together in their own homes.

Perfect storm.

Wow . Where has he been ? At least for the state I live in it has been racially integrated since uh like forever. And I am in what you may call the racially charged south (which is a lie. basically we all get along here regardless of flag)
I only have to look out my door to know this.What is going on with the President , the current admin , and this country ? It almost seems as sometimes they are actually antagonizing this.....

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I posted something about the Pruitt-Igoe projects in St. Louis and I think it applies here as well. When mass quantities of people start entering a new neighborhood or drastic changes are implemented, in the case of the above, blacks into St. Louis, they tend to spread the current residents out and away from the influx almost like cockroaches running from the light. Cockroaches in this case being the people who are working and supporting that particular community. This doesn't create more diversity, it actually spreads it out and moves the people who pay for the community far away from it. In turn, the jobs tend to follow those who leave and leave the new diverse area in a ghetto state. This brand of desegregation has been proven time and time again that it doesn't and won't work. It needs to be a slow process that happens over time, not something that can be ramped up and shock a community.

+8 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
You know.By the way some people post about anything political in the US here on ATS , I have to wonder how many actually live in the US and are citizens.. Mods , if this is offensive please pull . But it seems that they have many misconceptions on what life is like in the US and have views of race wars , police brutality on a widespread basis , war mongering by the people . Yes they are some of each. But it is very very few compared to what it appears. Most of us just get along , are friends , and live peacefully together all our lives.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I'm so outaged!!1!1!1! Why should our country work towards de-segregated communities? Nobody needs that leftist, liberal, nazi communism. There goes the neighbourhood, right guys? /s
edit on 9-7-2015 by HenryLee because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Obama seems like one of those people that read a book on parenting then thinks it's easy. This seems like a real foolish idea. I'm sure some people would like to move to a nicer area, but who would choose to move into a less desirable area. How could this even be enforced?

+17 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   
This happened in an area of my hometown. It was a zoning thing. Someone wanted to build a church but the zoning was at odds so there was pressure to rezone the broader area with a caveat that required a subsidized housing complex also be built in the same area.

Result five years later: White Flight.

You can't tell people where to live in a free, capitalist society.

So what's the goal here.....

Answer: Not capitalism.

The housing laws are very malleable and difficult to enforce as is. This will never work but billions will be spent by the government or made by politicians and wealthy people who will wheel and deal.

link   
Aren't there some 'equal housing opportunity' laws which prohibit telling someone where they can or cannot live based on race and such?

+1 more 
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Lots of crap going on like this all over the country. $1,800.00 a month subsidy, holy hell that is a # ton more than my Mortgage.

dailycaller.com...

Feds Pay Low-Income Families $1800 A Month To Leave Poor Areas, Penalize Them If They Don’t

In a bid to get low-income Dallas families into more expensive neighborhoods, the federal government has cut subsidies for those who choose to stay in cheaper neighborhoods, and is offering those who move housing vouchers worth up to $1,800 a month.

edit on 9-7-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
This is pie-in-the-sky urban planning that will collapse of sheer scale.
It plays well to minorities but will probably just turn out to be a big zero like the guy in the White House already is.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
This happened in an area of my hometown. It was a zoning thing. Someone wanted to build a church but the zoning was at odds so there was pressure to rezone the broader area with a caveat that required a subsidized housing complex also be built in the same area.

Result five years later: White Flight.

We had White Flight too.

Then they hit the Pacific Ocean and had to turn around and work their way back.

The Pacific Ocean is responsible for integration.

edit on 9-7-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

+20 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Just Obama trying to create his own legacy after he leaves office. He wants the books to show that he fought segregation and racism.... when in reality he created more racism and segregation!

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: HenryLee
I'm so outaged!!1!1!1! Why should our country work towards de-segregated communities? Nobody needs that leftist, liberal, nazi communism. There goes the neighbourhood, right guys? /s

Because if the people want it, it will come naturally not through government intervention and force.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   
This ties into a thought I had earlier about homogenous countries. It seems to me homogenous countries are the ones advancing the most now and have higher standards of living or citizens report being "happier". We can look at countries like Japan, Scandinavian countries, places like Panama, Korea, and even China in some ways.

I am in no way saying we go back to some segregation era way of doing things I just wonder if being too diverse creates instability. Look at India as an example outside of America. Very populous and diverse. It works for them and has for hundreds of years but at the same time they cannot seem to get beyond their own divisive issues with their population in order to advance. Countries like France who have allowed an influx of unassimilated immigrants are another example.

Even in the countries that are diversified the groups will self segregate in many instances. People often believe that that is solely an issue of economic equality but I have a feeling that is only half of the story.

Again I am not saying one is better than the other or that we need to become less diverse. I was just merely comparing my view of other countries with that of my own nation . It may be merely a matter of perspective but it seems the over diversified nations are having many internal issues leading to civil unrest and general misery even though peoples basic needs are being met. Just something I have been pondering and would like others thoughts on the matter. Questions like how much diversity can a nation handle before it becomes a hindrance?
edit on 9-7-2015 by NihilistSanta because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-7-2015 by NihilistSanta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   

I was in school when they started busing students from the projects to predominantly white schools. I saw the fights

I also remember that. We used to hear rumors early in the day there was going to be a riot at the school, so my friends and I would leave school early. (What kid doesn't like the idea of getting out of school early!) Teachers used to tell us to go home just for our own protection. I remember teachers standing in the door ways with paddles! It was a crazy time. This idea didn't work then and it won't work now. Most inner city kids are more street smart and are more inclined to be involved in gangs than kids from urban schools.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Lots of crap going on like this all over the country. $1,800.00 a month subsidy, holy hell that is a # ton more than my Mortgage.

dailycaller.com...

Feds Pay Low-Income Families $1800 A Month To Leave Poor Areas, Penalize Them If They Don’t

In a bid to get low-income Dallas families into more expensive neighborhoods, the federal government has cut subsidies for those who choose to stay in cheaper neighborhoods, and is offering those who move housing vouchers worth up to $1,800 a month.

The BIGGEST problem of those vouchers are increased rental costs on the people who don't qualify for vouchers, thus decreasing their disposable income. People complain about the 1% but in reality, the disparity in disposable income between people is largely due to government interventions.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
There are some successful housing programs.

One is where they mix subsidized and non subsidized ---- and have a strict homeowners policy.

I remember one story of a single mom with several kids. One of them got into drugs. It was either him or her home. She had him picked up the next morning by child services.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

What is going on with the President , the current admin , and this country ? It almost seems as sometimes they are actually antagonizing this.....

Or whats far more likely is that the white American middle class culture of promoting segregation in the first place, is the root cause of the high crime slums the US is so notorious for.

Personally, I think this is a positive policy. Its about time you guys joined the 21st century. Rather than hiding in your pretty little white dominated neighbourhoods, packing a gun everywhere you go, because you live in a constant state of paranoia. Convinced that there's constantly evil people hiding in the shadows, just waiting for the perfect opportunity to come and murder your whole family.

A society fueled by irrational fear and hate of people who look different......Just saying.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join