It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if I came up to you and assumed you worshiped Satan?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

It also proved we blow things WAY out of proportion

www.slate.com...

I don't think I would care one bit. I am a follower of my Goddess and only her. To me she represents the creator, the architect. And I agree OP, it is a bit daft how people react but to be honest, evolutionists have things they cannot or have not accounted for yet.
edit on 12-7-2015 by KyoZero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackboxInquiry
a reply to: Ghost147

I'd assume you were insensitive, high or both.

Assuming you know anything about me, having never met me, would indicate some form of wtf....lol

I don't think you quite understood what I was attempting to show. I wasn't suggesting that I assumed you worshiped Satan, I was trying to make a comparison as if I incorrectly assumed Christians in general worshiped Satan (stemming from ignorance of the subject)

Essentially it would be a parallel of starting an argument by stating "Evolution is the term used to describe how life started on earth" (Which is incorrect, and stemming from ignorance on the subject)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Ah, understood. My bad.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 04:48 AM
link   

The word 'misconception' is a relative word... One might believe that a religious persons views on a particular topic are misconceived because they don't believe in the religion.

Another might believe that an atheists misconceptions surrounding a particular topic in fact have more to do with the individuals religious experiences with his own and extended family than they have to do with any perceived 'real' facts surrounding the issue.

You can't separate the observer from the observed.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 04:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

Assuming you know anything about me, having never met me, would indicate some form of wtf....lol

I don't think you quite understood what I was attempting to show. I wasn't suggesting that I assumed you worshiped Satan, I was trying to make a comparison as if I incorrectly assumed Christians in general worshiped Satan (stemming from ignorance of the subject)

Essentially it would be a parallel of starting an argument by stating "Evolution is the term used to describe how life started on earth" (Which is incorrect, and stemming from ignorance on the subject)

The misconception here for example would be the assumption that evolution is not taught is schools as an explanation for the diversity of life over the 'entire' biological tree.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: hudsonhawk69

The word 'misconception' is a relative word... One might believe that a religious persons views on a particular topic are misconceived because they don't believe in the religion.

Another might believe that an atheists misconceptions surrounding a particular topic in fact have more to do with the individuals religious experiences with his own and extended family than they have to do with any perceived 'real' facts surrounding the issue.

I was under the impression that to misconceive something is a singular defining term for when someone fails to understand correctly. It does not matter their background story. Not all paths lead to different answers.

The misconception here for example would be the assumption that evolution is not taught is schools as an explanation for the diversity of life over the 'entire' biological tree.

I have no idea how you came to that conclusion, could you elaborate?

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I was under the impression that to misconceive something is a singular defining term for when someone fails to understand correctly. It does not matter their background story. Not all paths lead to different answers.

Well now that would be your misconception. In the absence of something that can be proven to be absolutely true than a persons view of misconception must be based upon their personal point of view and interpretation of the available data.

Evolution is taught in schools as a part of a larger scientific belief system, although you will find that things like 'evolution of life' and 'common descent' are covered by the theory of evolution.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Well now that would be your misconception. In the absence of something that can be proven to be absolutely true than a persons view of misconception must be based upon their personal point of view and interpretation of the available data.

Sorry, but this is simply not correct at all. If that were the case then everything in science would be misconceived, considering science never, ever, claims anything is absolute. As a matter of fact, almost nothing even outside of science could be considered absolute. What color is the sky? Because it's sure not just "blue", color is interpreted differently by every individual depending on how many of the two types of photoreceptors that individual has.

No, 'Misconceptions' have nothing to do with how a person got to that misconception, it only deals with an incorrect assessment of a situation, subject/topic, or thing. That is it.

Apparently you need a Science and and English lesson.

Evolution is taught in schools as a part of a larger scientific belief system,

Considering Science doesn't have belief systems, your claim already begins with a falsehood.

although you will find that things like 'evolution of life' and 'common descent' are covered by the theory of evolution.

Perhaps those two concepts are covered in the Theory of Evolution because they are actually concepts within it? Sorry, but you're still not making any sense.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Awesome post dude. You finally understand exactly where I'm coming from. Nothing is absolute. Even science supports that!

And what I was referring to in relation to misconceptions was simply the fact that one misconception leads to another. For example. Lets hypothesize that an intelligent man has a crazy family that pray to a sky fairy. This would undoubtedly lead to misconceptions about religion and the sky fairy because of his strong negative feeling about said aforementioned things. Those misconceptions in turn could easily lead said person to make wildly inaccurate emotional judgements about all things concerning the sky fairy and his followers. Like condemning creationism when in fact at it's core creationism has little to do with the sky fairy...

And no. As I've shown you many times before, I don't need a science or an English lesson.

belief - (Noun) an acceptance that something exists or is true.

As you have taught me on several occasions. While the word 'belief' may not specifically be used, the concept of 'belief' is an integral part/concept in the scientific process.
Science is full of belief systems.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join